OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say I've always been a fan of the horizontal mount. You're right though doesn't make the 1/2" nubs look any better.

Tim,
It's funny to see how the pioneers, I won't mention names, have paved a path for high $ small nubs, which is now industry standard. I have nice chunky frags, and nubs, I cannot get much until the lay a base. So others are getting larger, while others are just putting along. Luckily, I planned at least 4" around each frag, so future growth should allow enough space. I believe .5 to .75" nubs take 6 months to get to what in the day, was considered a frag. Even a $55-70 ORA coral would be 1.5-2" multi branch ;)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one looking prett cool :)

IMG_20210219_165415_840.jpg

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim,
It's funny to see how the pioneers, I won't mention names, have paved a path for high $ small nubs, which is now industry standard. I have nice chunky frags, and nubs, I cannot get much until the lay a base. So others are getting larger, while others are just putting along. Luckily, I planned at least 4" around each frag, so future growth should allow enough space. I believe .5 to .75" nubs take 6 months to get to what in the day, was considered a frag. Even a $55-70 ORA coral would be 1.5-2" multi branch
I remember frags having multiple branches. Like you said, even ORA offered frags in the ~2-inch range and still do. I also recall purchasing maricultured pieces in the 4”+ range for $65-75. The exceptions at the time were vendors like Atlantis. I think Atlantis was one among several vendors that offered nubs but even then, I recall buying a substantial and beautiful mini-colony blue Gomezi (or look alike) on the cheap from Atlantis (although it wasn’t a named piece, of course). I think blue lights and the chop-shop-and-name trend changed things.

If memory serves (please correct me if I’m wrong) the original $500 Efflo that went to Steve Weast was colony-ish size.

What is nice, however, is that the hobbyists who are selling smaller frags are usually willing to cut larger frags and all things considered the larger pieces are not generally cost prohibitive. The exception is probably the new super-high end stuff but those pieces don’t tend to capture my attention as much as some of the classics.

For me, the hobby has always been just that, a hobby, so the price hike really hasn’t bothered me all that much (especially since I still like the old stuff). Similarly, it was never an insanely cheap hobby (at least as long as I’ve been involved). Nevertheless, times have changed in many respects.

To put my archaic preferences in perspective, here’s a list of some of the pieces I am hunting for:

Palmers
PC rainbow
PC Superman
Ice fire
Hawkins
Red planet
Pearlberry
Shades of fall
Skittles granulosa
Strawberry shortcake
Pink lemonade
$500 efflo
Strawberry fields
Blue matrix
Crayola Plana
Raspberry limeaid
Banana lokani

There are certainly more. In fact, I put that list together pretty quickly before chatting with two hobbyists.

Edit: Some of those aren’t even insanely old.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember frags having multiple branches. Like you said, even ORA offered frags in the ~2-inch range and still do. I also recall purchasing maricultured pieces in the 4”+ range for $65-75. The exceptions at the time were vendors like Atlantis. I think Atlantis was one among several vendors that offered nubs but even then, I recall buying a substantial and beautiful mini-colony blue Gomezi (or look alike) on the cheap from Atlantis (although it wasn’t a named piece, of course). I think blue lights and the chop-shop-and-name trend changed things.

If memory serves (please correct me if I’m wrong) the original $500 Efflo that went to Steve Weast was colony-ish size.

What is nice, however, is that the hobbyists who are selling smaller frags are usually willing to cut larger frags and all things considered the larger pieces are not generally cost prohibitive. The exception is probably the new super-high end stuff but those pieces don’t tend to capture my attention as much as some of the classics.

For me, the hobby has always been just that, a hobby, so the price hike really hasn’t bothered me all that much (especially since I still like the old stuff). Similarly, it was never an insanely cheap hobby (at least as long as I’ve been involved). Nevertheless, times have changed in many respects.

To put my archaic preferences in perspective, here’s a list of some of the pieces I am hunting for:

Palmers
PC rainbow
PC Superman
Ice fire
Hawkins
Red planet
Pearlberry
Shades of fall
Skittles granulosa
Strawberry shortcake
Pink lemonade
$500 efflo
Strawberry fields
Blue matrix
Crayola Plana
Raspberry limeaid
Banana lokani

There are certainly more. In fact, I put that list together pretty quickly before chatting with two hobbyists.

Edit: Some of those aren’t even insanely old.

Hey Rick,
That's a nice list of classic corals to chase down, most shouldn't be so difficult :) We share very similar taste my friend. As I run down my current list, I am finding less room. Looks like I can add some low light stuff though. Anyway, thanks for reply and checking out the journal :)

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If anyone really tracks things and does research there is very little out there that doesn't fit into the originals/classic list.

All the dumb names & marketing hype have just blurred the lines.

For example----

Is a grown out colony of Shades of Fall really much different than a Strawberry Shortcake?

Muticolored Tenuis have been around for decades..............LEDs make them out to seem like new corals. Same with most Millis.

There must be 50 names for Red tables with green at the base or blue tips.............again around for decades.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone really tracks things and does research there is very little out there that doesn't fit into the originals/classic list.

All the dumb names & marketing hype have just blurred the lines.

For example----

Is a grown out colony of Shades of Fall really much different than a Strawberry Shortcake?

Muticolored Tenuis have been around for decades..............LEDs make them out to seem like new corals. Same with most Millis.

There must be 50 names for Red tables with green at the base or blue tips.............again around for decades.

Hey BigE,
Agree wholeheartedly! I have ssen my share of renaming going on for years. For example, I have RMF Acid Trip, RR Event Horizon, JF Solar Flare, and ASD Rainbow Milli. Fairly certain these are all the same coral, and will probably thin one or 2 out down the road, just my own preference to see for myself. So far the difference is nothing more than you might see with any coral being grown in a different tank, different lighting, minerals, or nutrients. I have, by today's standards, some "high-end" pieces, but refuse to pay retail prices, I prefer to stick with fellow hobbyists. All I know is that humility and kindness pays off more in the long haul.. PIF :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...bigger tank!

Oh lord,
I am going to let this one continue to grow out, had a sweet deal lined up on a 105 gallon over the holidays, but would have had to upgrade so much stuff, lol, I decided to stay put :) I have at least another year before I begin to get that idea going on in my head again. If/when I do, I will probably go to 72" long, I would love to keep a few tangs. I am actually beginning to like the looks of this tank, I look forward to seeing it mature. When I say I am running out of space, I am factoring in future growth. But, we alk have that part of us that wants to go huge, but in the end, grateful for what's happening now :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rick5
I will add this one to the list of classics!
The ole Tri-color, doesn't get much love in these parts, but a favorite of mine for sure, especially when colored up :) Mine started to stall on original branches, but sprouting many new ones as it encrusts. I am certainly enjoying this one :)

20210221_173242.jpg

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey BigE,
Agree wholeheartedly! I have ssen my share of renaming going on for years. For example, I have RMF Acid Trip, RR Event Horizon, JF Solar Flare, and ASD Rainbow Milli. Fairly certain these are all the same coral, and will probably thin one or 2 out down the road, just my own preference to see for myself. So far the difference is nothing more than you might see with any coral being grown in a different tank, different lighting, minerals, or nutrients. I have, by today's standards, some "high-end" pieces, but refuse to pay retail prices, I prefer to stick with fellow hobbyists. All I know is that humility and kindness pays off more in the long haul.. PIF :)

Perry,
What's really funny about that list in your quote and I agree, is that first actual milli with that color scheme I remember was called Rommels Rainbow Milli..........maybe around 2003 or so?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perry,
What's really funny about that list in your quote and I agree, is that first actual milli with that color scheme I remember was called Rommels Rainbow Milli..........maybe around 2003 or so?

I had a rommels watermelon, I believe in the 120, but it was never really all that special. I had RMF Acid Trip in 2015, and it was my personal favorite, and first time seeing that specific color scheme. It was lost by many, and kinda elusive, then popped up with 3 new names, by 3 different vendors, hmmm.... Color patterns, different growth patterns, and diversity all weigh in as important factors, when designing the scape to me. Getting lost in growing to cut is not my plight, seeing a mature reef is. I am happy with my list, and looking forward to seeing them grow :) BTW, things are going bonkers since my bulb switch to 50/50 combo c+/b+ and cutting reefbar intensity to 50%
Cheers

Lol, I refrenced 2005 on the acid trip, oops.. 2015. And dang Ed, I was just dipping my toes into saltwater in 2005, hence never seeing rommels Rainbow

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a rommels watermelon, I believe in the 120, but it was never really all that special. I had RMF Acid Trip in 2015, and it was my personal favorite, and first time seeing that specific color scheme. It was lost by many, and kinda elusive, then popped up with 3 new names, by 3 different vendors, hmmm.... Color patterns, different growth patterns, and diversity all weigh in as important factors, when designing the scape to me. Getting lost in growing to cut is not my plight, seeing a mature reef is. I am happy with my list, and looking forward to seeing them grow :) BTW, things are going bonkers since my bulb switch to 50/50 combo c+/b+ and cutting reefbar intensity to 50%
Cheers

Lol, I refrenced 2005 on the acid trip, oops.. 2015. And dang Ed, I was just dipping my toes into saltwater in 2005, hence never seeing rommels Rainbow
What was your bulb combo before? Are you mainly t5?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your bulb combo before? Are you mainly t5?

I was running 3b+, 1actinic, and 2 c+, with fixture higher, but 100% on led reefbars. I didn't realize exactly how strong the reefbars were until lowering and burning a couple, mainly just fox flame, which gets upset if you look at it wrong, at least in my tank :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a few top downs today, ASD Rainbow Milli and BC Backdraft stole the show, but a few other nice ones too :)

ASD Rainbow showing a bit of red at the base :)
20210225_170209.jpg

BC Backdraft almost anchored down, I expect a growth boom soon
20210225_170519.jpg

JF Solar Flare settling in, but ASD shaming right now, lol
20210225_170338.jpg

PR Infidel, just a nub, but a pretty one :)
20210225_170230.jpg

And finally my WD, which is growing like a weed
20210225_170412.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
At this point, I think it's prudent to run down my husbandry, I sometimes forget to mention changes, and even subtle one's important to discuss. So, an update for those following or interested

Dosing:
1. AF NP Pro 3 drops each morning befire lights
2. AF Pro Bio S 3 drops each morning before lights
3. AF Build 3 drops every other day
4. KZ FWS 1ml per day
5. KZ Coral Booster 1ml every other day
6. 3/4 cup passive carbon Aquamaxx

Coral & Fish Feedings:
1. Larry's Reef Frenzy daily 1 chunk
2. Alternate Hikari mysis and Brine 1 cube daily
3. Spectrum Pellets, pinch a day
4. RUSALTY oyster feast 2ml 3 times per week, am lights off
5. Reef Roids 1 pinch 3 times per week in fish feedings

Recent Changes/ additions
1. Bulb change on t5's 3 C+ 3B+
2. LED Reefbar's cut to 50%
3. Lights lowered to 9" off surface by 1" from before/ plans to drop to 8" over upcoming months
4. Switch from RS Blue bucket to AF Reef Salt
5. Addition of a Royal Gamma, and Arch Eye Hawkfish, bringing total to 10 fish/ 60 gallons. Looking for a healthy CBB as next addition

Thanks for following :)

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Perry, I am looking for a quality SPS coral food. I see that you’re using oyster egg feast from RUsalty. How long does an 8oz container tend to last you? Does it go bad? I’m deciding between a 4 and 8oz container for a 65g mixed reef.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back