OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, I'm excited to see if all the different milleporas are in fact different.

JF Solar Flare and Acid Trip shipped a bit rough, polyps out, color will take a few weeks. ASD is definitely different from Event Horizon, they're color scheme seems to be opposite in my tank, Event Horizon has orange tips and green base, ASD has orange base and green tips, at least right now. Pineapple Pin is starting to color up, looks promising. Speaking of millis, my Palmers is starting to branch multiple times on one of the two branches, it's an amazingly blue milli :)
Cheers

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JF Solar Flare and Acid Trip shipped a bit rough, polyps out, color will take a few weeks. ASD is definitely different from Event Horizon, they're color scheme seems to be opposite in my tank, Event Horizon has orange tips and green base, ASD has orange base and green tips, at least right now. Pineapple Pin is starting to color up, looks promising. Speaking of millis, my Palmers is starting to branch multiple times on one of the two branches, it's an amazingly blue milli :)
Cheers
Where did you get your Event Horizon from? I lost mine last summer. She was a real looker.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get your Event Horizon from? I lost mine last summer. She was a real looker.

If you want, I can PM you source info, seller is legit. I can honestly say that my piece is a nub, so not much for photos, it seens to have nice colors, and encrusting, so hopefully it will take off soon :)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want, I can PM you source info, seller is legit. I can honestly say that my piece is a nub, so not much for photos, it seens to have nice colors, and encrusting, so hopefully it will take off soon :)
Sure, I will take the info on seller; thanks.

I lost a couple millis during my aefw war this summer. Sad to lose that one in particular as it had some amazing color. The repeated dipping was apparently unappreciated.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I will take the info on seller; thanks.

I lost a couple millis during my aefw war this summer. Sad to lose that one in particular as it had some amazing color. The repeated dipping was apparently unappreciated.

Pm'd you Scott.
I personally run the reef with KZ Flatworm Stop and now adding in Coral Booster. I will plan on doing so ongoing. I have zero signs of AEFW, but know there is absolutely no way to run the reef 100% free. Anyone adding corals runs a risk, eggs sometimes unsuspecting. So, I will run the reef as though I have them, the 2 products promote health, slime coat, and enhanced growth. Albeit, I use only a couple times per week, half dose. In the days of shipping acros, an already stressed coral, then dipped, sometimes is a death sentence. Life on the reef...
:)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, some eggs got by me on the way in though not sure which batch they made it in on. They could have been in there a long time -- in fact I suspect they were. My wrasses probably managed them until they took surfing lessons.

With the kitchen sink approach they were gone within a couple months, but most of my weaponry remains deployed.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, some eggs got by me on the way in though not sure which batch they made it in on. They could have been in there a long time -- in fact I suspect they were. My wrasses probably managed them until they took surfing lessons.

With the kitchen sink approach they were gone within a couple months, but most of my weaponry remains deployed.

Lol,
Kitchen sink approach, tapwater kills aefw quick, lol :)

Here's a Lulu's Blue Milli, and JF Solar Flare :) Lulu is my stepdaughter's name, I swear it's a Palmers, but you know how upset some are these days over lineage, so renamed, due to no confirmation :)

20210207_122336.jpg

20210207_121752.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Just wanted to follow up on algae in the tank, and the importance of a long term plan. I have mentioned previously, that happy looking acros supercedes the surroundings, and not to intervene and allow the natural course. Yesterday, I noticed that hair algae is now gone. FWIW, I still have bubble algae, but it too seems to be retreating, but more resilient in low nutrients, so it will take a lot more time. IME, every time in the past, when I have tried to adjust nutrients to starve algae, it doesn't go well. IMO, the best way is manual removal and time.
Happy Reefing :)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Just wanted to follow up on algae in the tank, and the importance of a long term plan. I have mentioned previously, that happy looking acros supercedes the surroundings, and not to intervene and allow the natural course. Yesterday, I noticed that hair algae is now gone. FWIW, I still have bubble algae, but it too seems to be retreating, but more resilient in low nutrients, so it will take a lot more time. IME, every time in the past, when I have tried to adjust nutrients to starve algae, it doesn't go well. IMO, the best way is manual removal and time.
Happy Reefing :)
Confront your spouse. He/she is dumping Vibrant in there when you are away. :p

Agree your stance about trying to starve algae; causes a lot of trouble for folks.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confront your spouse. He/she is dumping Vibrant in there when you are away. :p

Agree your stance about trying to starve algae; causes a lot of trouble for folks.

Lol, Cindy... She would be guilty of over feeding if anything, but she did once mistake Bacteria(AF) for CBD oil, and apparently it doesn't taste well, lol :) She is still here, despite the label indicating "Not Fit For Human Consumption". We now have another fridge where my refrigerated tank supplements go ;) Seems to work better this way :)
All jokes aside, I believe the gentle bacteria/carbon dosing(liquid polymer) is what helped get nutrients to corals and over time starved out hair algae. It took nearly 6 months with manual removal. Some decided to sprout in fuge, but nothing overwhelming. Mangroves winning that war. Oh the poor algae has nowhere to run and hide!
Cheers

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, Cindy... She would be guilty of over feeding if anything, but she did once mistake Bacteria(AF) for CBD oil, and apparently it doesn't taste well, lol :) She is still here, despite the label indicating "Not Fit For Human Consumption". We now have another fridge where my refrigerated tank supplements go ;) Seems to work better this way :)
All jokes aside, I believe the gentle bacteria/carbon dosing(liquid polymer) is what helped get nutrients to corals and over time starved out hair algae. It took nearly 6 months with manual removal. Some decided to sprout in fuge, but nothing overwhelming. Mangroves winning that war. Oh the poor algae has nowhere to run and hide!
Cheers
Woah lol. Have you still been using the Pro Bio F Perry?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah lol. Have you still been using the Pro Bio F Perry?
Lol,
Pro Bio S, not the "F" version, but yes. I actually re-upped supply. Given my tank, and woes with "dry" now fairly live rock, I feel the bacteria consumes po4, then in turn is a food source for corals. I believe that it in turn starves algae from it's opportunity to feed on nutrients. Anecdotal, perhaps,but my eyes tell me what I am doing is working, so onward we march :)
Cheers Tim!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol,
Pro Bio S, not the "F" version, but yes. I actually re-upped supply. Given my tank, and woes with "dry" now fairly live rock, I feel the bacteria consumes po4, then in turn is a food source for corals. I believe that it in turn starves algae from it's opportunity to feed on nutrients. Anecdotal, perhaps,but my eyes tell me what I am doing is working, so onward we march :)
Cheers Tim!
Yeah not sure where I got the F from lol

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fan of Pro Bio and MB7 as well. I fire it up a little with regular vinegar dosing.

Hey Scott,
It's good stuff! I also use mb7 at 5 drops, post water change. I like NP Pro due to it's gentle effects. I am not using zeolites, or biomedia, my approach is a softer one, not searching for numbers, letting things naturally progress.
Cheers,

martinphillip03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early this week I received a 3 pack of acros. These are actually old school frag sizes, a little extra, but worth it, imo. Jason Fox Solar Flare is 2" with 4 branches. My all time favorite, RMF Acid Trip Milli, is 1.25" and 2 branches. Also a 3 branch 1" UC Mad Hatter acro. The fun part here is how I will be able to observe the acid trip, solar flare, asd rainbow milli, and event horizon milli. All these are quite similar, maybe all the same, but I like millis that much :)
Here is a picture of my old acid trip from my 120 gallon, this picture will show exactly why its my favorite :)
20210127_064251.jpg
Do you mind mentioning where you bought your frags?

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scott,
It's good stuff! I also use mb7 at 5 drops, post water change. I like NP Pro due to it's gentle effects. I am not using zeolites, or biomedia, my approach is a softer one, not searching for numbers, letting things naturally progress.
Cheers,

5 drops? You are making me seriously question my dosing then. I use 100ML post water change weekly. :oops: I put 50ML directly into the display tank and 25ML in my frag tank and 25ML in my sump area.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind mentioning where you bought your frags?

Hi Martin,
I buy from hobbyists mainly, last roun was from phil bevilacqua, didn't want ti tag him, but @Scott b tagging you because he also has Event Horizon Milli.
I am assuming you are referring to quoted frags.
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 drops? You are making me seriously question my dosing then. I use 100ML post water change weekly. :oops: I put 50ML directly into the display tank and 25ML in my frag tank and 25ML in my sump area.

Oh wow, that stuff is way more powerful than you think, I use it to condition water changes. I use 3 drops of Pro Bio S daily, its very concentrated and again, more gentle. Corals extend feeders for it :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 83 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back