Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love to see it Perry!

Hey Tim,
Yes it is, at least I know that with water changes, and now turning my focus to the "big3" that the table is being set. Skimmer plugging away, and will be changing sock every 2-3 days. I have only been changing sock every 5 days, so that, only 2 feedings, and a couple shots of phyto per week, and should be in a decent spot to begin stocking corals and keeping nutrients available. Will be interested to see how the first round of corals impact nutrients. I am still going to shoot for 7.5-8.5 dkh as a fyi. Puts ca around 400-420 & mag at around 1250-1350.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
So, based on my observation, I believe that the phyto dosing has raised phosphate naturally, evidenced by glass algae growth. I have backed off dosing, admittedly being heavy handed in dosing, to two 1oz. doses ler week. While the algae begins to form on the glass, I am tracking how many days in between glass swipings. Right now, it's every 3 days, and that tells me PO4 most certainly present. For now, I have suspended Rods to 2 times per week, and 2 cubes mysis, 2 times per day. Algae on rocks is limited, emerald crabs, and lots of hermits actively picking rocks, a few patches of hair turf here and there, and some bubble algae, but not overwhelming.
Feeling better about the future of this tank, and plan to continue in a natural path. I will be adding live rubble to the sump from time to time, in hopes of creating a cryptic sponge zone. My goal is to continue to allow for natural filtration, relying less on dosing, chemical, or mechanical filtration. I will keep a filter sock in place, and continue to skim. I will also add fresh gac, running passive in a sock, just because of having kids, you never know. My goal is to eventually remove socks, and maybe skimmer. Carbon, well not until I get the kids out of the house :)
I also decided to go to the book shelf, and here is what I found to help ground me :)
Cheers

20200603_114144.jpg

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
So, based on my observation, I believe that the phyto dosing has raised phosphate naturally, evidenced by glass algae growth. I have backed off dosing, admittedly being heavy handed in dosing, to two 1oz. doses ler week. While the algae begins to form on the glass, I am tracking how many days in between glass swipings. Right now, it's every 3 days, and that tells me PO4 most certainly present. For now, I have suspended Rods to 2 times per week, and 2 cubes mysis, 2 times per day. Algae on rocks is limited, emerald crabs, and lots of hermits actively picking rocks, a few patches of hair turf here and there, and some bubble algae, but not overwhelming.
Feeling better about the future of this tank, and plan to continue in a natural path. I will be adding live rubble to the sump from time to time, in hopes of creating a cryptic sponge zone. My goal is to continue to allow for natural filtration, relying less on dosing, chemical, or mechanical filtration. I will keep a filter sock in place, and continue to skim. I will also add fresh gac, running passive in a sock, just because of having kids, you never know. My goal is to eventually remove socks, and maybe skimmer. Carbon, well not until I get the kids out of the house :)
I also decided to go to the book shelf, and here is what I found to help ground me :)
Cheers

20200603_114144.jpg
Love that book! That along with Calfo's were great reads for me early on in the hobby.

I like where you're headed with things Perry. I'm pretty much going to run my system the same but I don't think I'll ever get rid of my skimmer.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that book! That along with Calfo's were great reads for me early on in the hobby.

I like where you're headed with things Perry. I'm pretty much going to run my system the same but I don't think I'll ever get rid of my skimmer.

Hey Tim,
Yes, a great book indeed!!!
The skimmer is going nowhere anytime soon, lol, but if I can get colony size acros again, I am certain they will be nutrient sinks, so maybe one day, here's to hoping :) I just keep believing that for many years, I have missed, or taken for granted, the importance of nutrients, as well as biodiversity. Biodiversity was sort of a "to be expected" mentality that I overlooked since my previous setup's including, and prior to the 120g, were all with "live rock".
It wasn't until I started using dead rock that I started having SO many issues.
My current setup is mainly dead rock turned live, but nothing compared to real ocean rock. In this, I will be on the hunt to acquire as much "ocean live" rubble I can source, to fill my sump. Or, aquire from very mature systems. The sump will be light limited, allowing for sponges and crptic creatures to flourish. Pods should also do well, which ultimately will be pumped back to DT.
My next read, lol :)

20200603_140019.jpg

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tim,
Yes, a great book indeed!!!
The skimmer is going nowhere anytime soon, lol, but if I can get colony size acros again, I am certain they will be nutrient sinks, so maybe one day, here's to hoping :) I just keep believing that for many years, I have missed, or taken for granted, the importance of nutrients, as well as biodiversity. Biodiversity was sort of a "to be expected" mentality that I overlooked since my previous setup's including, and prior to the 120g, were all with "live rock".
It wasn't until I started using dead rock that I started having SO many issues.
My current setup is mainly dead rock turned live, but nothing compared to real ocean rock. In this, I will be on the hunt to acquire as much "ocean live" rubble I can source, to fill my sump. Or, aquire from very mature systems. The sump will be light limited, allowing for sponges and crptic creatures to flourish. Pods should also do well, which ultimately will be pumped back to DT.
My next read, lol :)

20200603_140019.jpg
There it is! That Calfo book taught me a lot. I'm right there with you Perry I started my current tank (and previous one) with dry rock and attribute that to quite a few issues. I recently added live sand and mud from the Florida keys to the sump and have rock in there as well for growing sponges. I'll be excited to see your tank mature Perry I have no doubt it will look great!

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Perry,
I like the idea of the dental pick on the hose. But have you thought of just getting a piece of rigid 1/4 inch tubing, and cutting a sharp angle on one end? Seems to me that connecting airline tubing to the other end would get you the same thing but be a little more maneuverable?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Perry,
I like the idea of the dental pick on the hose. But have you thought of just getting a piece of rigid 1/4 inch tubing, and cutting a sharp angle on one end? Seems to me that connecting airline tubing to the other end would get you the same thing but be a little more maneuverable?

That too is a great idea, I am using rigid tubing, I think this will work pretty good, it's a slower siphon, so I am pretty confident that I will be able to get most of it. If it fails, I will cut the tubing like suggested. I am also thinking about doing the same thing with a toothbrush for a few patches of hair :)
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update:
@Maxx
You were totally right, cut the tubing to create a sharp "V", worked much better than the dental pick, lol. Was able to remove all the bubble algae I could see, doing a 20 gallon water change. Also removed some hair, it was a bit tougher, I have another idea...

Today I picked up a pair of ORA black percs, bringing my fish count up to 13. Will be adding a few more down the road. I also decided to take advantage of my large sump, and came up with this :) Moved skimmer to the back racetrack compartment, and created a fuge. Area is 13.5"x 13.5" x8" deep. Will still be searching for real deal liverock and rubble.

20200607_172628.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a quick update:
For those of you following along, thank you, and I cannot believe in 14 pages, no eye candy yet, ughh... Hang in there, I am learning or should I say relearning.
Now, I have been out there, on a limb, advocating for biodiversity and how things have changed with rock in our tanks today, vs. the day when we used real ocean rock. That said, I have changed my strategy from running color programs associated with ULNS, to now adding liquid phosphate into the tank, and running NO3 @ 25ppm, and not even a rise in my pulse rate ;)
This debate, or topic is real, and I have personally witnessed it myself. Phyto was definitely helping, but PO4 would drop again each day to 0.00. I am now dosing seachem flourish and have risen my PO4 to .12. I am able to stay right there adding 2.5ml per day. Next week I will know more, as I prepare for a round of incoming frags. @naterealbig has some goodies for me, so I have spent several weeks studying my system and preparing. Thanks Nate, the PIF love always comes back around, I won't forget! My next update will hopefully have pics of incoming frags, thanks to all for being patient with an impatient reefer, lol :)
Cheers

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww man another reefer jumps down the dosing nutrients hole :) I am waiting patiently for how things turn out this time! Is the fuge going to be dark?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww man another reefer jumps down the dosing nutrients hole :) I am waiting patiently for how things turn out this time! Is the fuge going to be dark?
Lol,
I am 100% convinced that lack of PO4 is what led to starvation, then death. And to think the whole time, running GFO and Carbon/Bacteria source, and an oversized skimmer, lol. I am not thinking this will be long term, I imagine more fish, and eventually the skimmer and fuge will handle export of a heavy bioload and feedings. I actually think that I can probably maintain PO4 at this point, by upping feedings to twice per day. I am now seeing glass algae buildup daily, so nutrients are there.
As far as the fuge, it's lit 12 hours on opposite schedule as DT, I have mexicana and prolifera calupera's, and 3" sandbed in a 13.5x13.5x8" deep partition. There is an empty partition between fuge and return pump, here, I will have a non lit cryptic zone, where I will place live rock rubble, as I procure. Hopefully this tank will become alive, and more stable, from a biodiversity standpoint. Many years ago, I ran a 75 gallon sps tank very similar to this, only real difference was real rock. I do have a spotted mandarin and couple of wrasse that will enjoy the addition of refugium. I know I love the look of it :)
Cheers

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, for curious minds.
Didn't dose PO4 for 1.5 days, after a reading of .12, and...
You guessed it, lol. 0.00 and twice measured for it. Feeding of fish unchanged.
Go figure
Are you running a skimmer?

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Time for a quick update:
For those of you following along, thank you, and I cannot believe in 14 pages, no eye candy yet, ughh... Hang in there, I am learning or should I say relearning.
Now, I have been out there, on a limb, advocating for biodiversity and how things have changed with rock in our tanks today, vs. the day when we used real ocean rock. That said, I have changed my strategy from running color programs associated with ULNS, to now adding liquid phosphate into the tank, and running NO3 @ 25ppm, and not even a rise in my pulse rate ;)
This debate, or topic is real, and I have personally witnessed it myself. Phyto was definitely helping, but PO4 would drop again each day to 0.00. I am now dosing seachem flourish and have risen my PO4 to .12. I am able to stay right there adding 2.5ml per day. Next week I will know more, as I prepare for a round of incoming frags. @naterealbig has some goodies for me, so I have spent several weeks studying my system and preparing. Thanks Nate, the PIF love always comes back around, I won't forget! My next update will hopefully have pics of incoming frags, thanks to all for being patient with an impatient reefer, lol :)
Cheers

Thank you for the kind words Perry! It has been a journey, and while I haven't had much input (you are more capable than I ), I have followed along. As an artist, one of the most important things I learned, is that it is not the absence of mistakes that make a great piece - it is the ability to make the mistakes work for you, and let them add to the uniqueness you are trying to create. You have done this here; your ability to pivot and adapt is what will make this a masterpiece. Thank you for the kind words, and I am almost as excited as you are :) . Take care and see you soon!

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree wholeheartedly in the biodiversity discussion your having. I started my first reef with real ocean rock(Fiji) and things went very well. The last two are with dry rock and have been a challenge. I added live mud from Florida as an attempt as well as some live rock from an older system. I have also bought some critters just to get the substrate they were on. Too soon to tell but definitely see a reduction in cyano problems. Best of luck with this build from here on out.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree wholeheartedly in the biodiversity discussion your having. I started my first reef with real ocean rock(Fiji) and things went very well. The last two are with dry rock and have been a challenge. I added live mud from Florida as an attempt as well as some live rock from an older system. I have also bought some critters just to get the substrate they were on. Too soon to tell but definitely see a reduction in cyano problems. Best of luck with this build from here on out.

Yes my friend, indeed we have a new way of reefing, but I still contend that ocean rock most certainly has it's advantages. I have learned quite a bit over the last couple of years, and now feel the strategy must be tweaked in order to find success. I believe the reef is coming together, and hopefully will be posting pics showing success soon. Thanks for checking in :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So shortly after bubble algae removal, red cyano started popping up in random places. No worries, ordered boyd's chemi clean, and planned on treating upon arrival. NO3=25. PO4=0.12
Not bad, but higher nutrients seem to give off a dirty like appearance, no worries, because 3 teaser frags my wife got me a week back, for Father's Day present seem to be living, yep, that's right, ALIVE, and a week later, lol.
So, waiting on the cyano remover, on Monday, I decided to put a cup of zeolites, in a plastic basket, passive in the sump, next to partition. When I got home from work yesterday, I saw plenty of cyano, but it appeared all bubbled out. Anyways no worries, treatment set to arrive tomorrow.
So this morning, I look in on the reef with a flash light, and not one speck of cyano!
My guess: Nitrates are lower, and the ammonia is being absorbed by zeolites.
Later today after work, I will run test on nutrients.
A few teaser corals, Finally!

20200615_153248.jpg
20200615_153204.jpg
20200615_153054.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this rock in my system really is crap, and cyano did return....ugh
Corals looking ok, but I am not giving up!!!
I just ordered 48lbs of Fiji Live Rock.
Apparently its real reef rock, harvested in fiji for 3 years.
I am 100% convinced that the rock is my main issue, tired of fighting it.
I will quarantine rock, observe, remove pests, and replace 100% of my rock in the system. It was a pretty penny, but I will never be happy chasing my tail with the current rock.
Updates to follow with unboxing pics.
Cheers

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back