Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh...thanks for the explanation.
No problem man, t5's for mangroves, and some blue light for corals, or whatever. Sandbed raised to 6" on left side, don't think I will have to worry over supplement light until mangroves get larger, and lights get raised higher. Wasted light, sure, but owell, we reef on...

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the SPS troubles Perry god knows I've been there. I'll be excited to see how the lagoon style goes!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the SPS troubles Perry god knows I've been there. I'll be excited to see how the lagoon style goes!

Hey Tim!
I have a thread under member page called 60 Gallon Mangrove Lagoon
I cannot figure out how to link here over my phone, but it's there, lol.
All is well, and enjoying the tank and hobby again. In time, I think the tank will become quite interesting, in a totally different way. Take care Tim!

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't say I don't love you ;)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't say I don't love you ;)

Lol,
Thank you for the link sir :)

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tim,
Yes, a great book indeed!!!
The skimmer is going nowhere anytime soon, lol, but if I can get colony size acros again, I am certain they will be nutrient sinks, so maybe one day, here's to hoping :) I just keep believing that for many years, I have missed, or taken for granted, the importance of nutrients, as well as biodiversity. Biodiversity was sort of a "to be expected" mentality that I overlooked since my previous setup's including, and prior to the 120g, were all with "live rock".
It wasn't until I started using dead rock that I started having SO many issues.
My current setup is mainly dead rock turned live, but nothing compared to real ocean rock. In this, I will be on the hunt to acquire as much "ocean live" rubble I can source, to fill my sump. Or, aquire from very mature systems. The sump will be light limited, allowing for sponges and crptic creatures to flourish. Pods should also do well, which ultimately will be pumped back to DT.
My next read, lol :)

20200603_140019.jpg
There are a few guys on this forum that have done amazing tanks with all new dry rock and I still cant figure out how they did it. Within a year and half both tanks were completely packed with sps colonies grown from frags and small pieces. Wish I knew how they did it!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few guys on this forum that have done amazing tanks with all new dry rock and I still cant figure out how they did it. Within a year and half both tanks were completely packed with sps colonies grown from frags and small pieces. Wish I knew how they did it!

Yes this is possible, but requires a dedicated reefer, in terms of testing, specifically alk and phosphate. I have found many of the reefs you described have success using bacteria driven systems. My rock plains sux, lol.
One day I will return to the dark side, lol.
So many ways to have success, I try and be open minded more these days, and humble :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a reef buddy of mine is scaling back, and I went over today to pick up a desirable mushroom, here it is, well not exact piece, but sourced directly. My piece is about 3" and looks to be splitting, but not happy right now.
IMG_2416.png

So, moving along here. He has a red sea 750 xl, and packed with acros, and some insane chalice. Anyway, he has been losing acros, but also interest :( He insisted I leave with some really large chunks, so I obliged :) That said, mangrove lagoon on hold, mangroves moved to fuge. Lights dropped, sb reefbar actinic ordered, so here we go....
Keep in mind, all were free, but he has AEFW, didn't know it, so he wants to pack some more stuff in my tank for redundancy.
So, they were dipped, and mounted.

So for now, the saga continues

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a reef buddy of mine is scaling back, and I went over today to pick up a desirable mushroom, here it is, well not exact piece, but sourced directly. My piece is about 3" and looks to be splitting, but not happy right now.
IMG_2416.png

So, moving along here. He has a red sea 750 xl, and packed with acros, and some insane chalice. Anyway, he has been losing acros, but also interest :( He insisted I leave with some really large chunks, so I obliged :) That said, mangrove lagoon on hold, mangroves moved to fuge. Lights dropped, sb reefbar actinic ordered, so here we go....
Keep in mind, all were free, but he has AEFW, didn't know it, so he wants to pack some more stuff in my tank for redundancy.
So, they were dipped, and mounted.

So for now, the saga continues
It doesn't take long to get back to the dark side!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't take long to get back to the dark side!

Once you have had an acro tank, it is really hard to go back, lol. I will be diligent on testing, especially for the next couple of weeks!
I do love mushrooms too :)
My expectations are pretty low, corals were not super healthy or happy, so we shall see :)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you have had an acro tank, it is really hard to go back, lol. I will be diligent on testing, especially for the next couple of weeks!
I do love mushrooms too :)
My expectations are pretty low, corals were not super healthy or happy, so we shall see :)

I had a fish basically cycle the tank about a year ago, I have taken a step back as well!

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is possible, but requires a dedicated reefer, in terms of testing, specifically alk and phosphate. I have found many of the reefs you described have success using bacteria driven systems. My rock plains sux, lol.
One day I will return to the dark side, lol.
So many ways to have success, I try and be open minded more these days, and humble :)

One of them swears by bio digest and yes he seems obsessed on checking his numbers. Is the secret to success with dry rock really just introducing bacteria regularly while things get established during the first couple years...
I’m sure rock solid parameters are huge too.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of them swears by bio digest and yes he seems obsessed on checking his numbers. Is the secret to success with dry rock really just introducing bacteria regularly while things get established during the first couple years...
I’m sure rock solid parameters are huge too.

I believe bacteria, in as many forms as possible does help. Not necessarily bottled, however for low nutrient systems, it likely allows more food and more fish, assuming the export is up to the task. My issue has been with po4, I think that I am finally seeing it stabilize, as opposed to watching it bottom out, thus the need to dose po4 has been tapered, now seeing it sit around. 08-.1 by feeding 2 mysis cubes with a pinch of reed roids daily, to 11 fish. no3 has not budged from 25ppm, however going to order a new kit(salifert).
I am a huge proponent of biodiversity, so to me, that is my goal, and I want to continue to add as much life as I can. Once the tank has matured, from this standpoint, I believe it becomes less critical for testing. Diligence is key if the tank is established with dead rock, so either wait a year or more before adding sps, or do your due diligence through testing and constant observation :)
My take :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tested po4 today, and it is .11, so 24 hours later, it has gone up .03 So, it now appears that I can suspend dosing p04. To me, this is good news, and ultimately means that sps should at least live. I will still continue to monitor daily to ensure this trend. Mushrooms are looking really good, so when open, usually po4 present, otherwise they tend to shutdown. I also recalibrated fracto, off by .03 sg. SG was 1.028 after calibration, so pulled saltwater and replaced with rodi, and adjusted to 1.025. Also changed out CO2 scrubber media.
2 issues I believe were causing death ro sps, main one, imo was po4 limited, 2nd, too much CO2. We shall see

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back