OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here are some more pictures, starting with the mushrooms which are starting to open up a little bit.

8C363E9F-BA31-44D4-A19A-55187B957B45.jpeg

6815BCC9-4B88-466B-A081-8714DB263595.jpeg

As you can see the GSP are still closed.

387244FD-8E7F-479A-94A6-964B0C241B99.jpeg

These corals’ new homes.

F57E58B7-8092-4D23-ABA4-41DC03BE81C3.jpeg

The anemone’s almost all the way open. It closed up when I blew the sand off of it (very little fortunately) and off of its rock. I also scrubbed the rock down with a toothbrush in tank so as to not disturb the nem any more than I had to.

D4BDCB4D-ACBB-4CE5-AC2B-2DF0F75BBB81.jpeg

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, as expected, the GSP aren’t amused with being moved Al though one polyp is open. The shrooms are doing awesome though. They’re open twice as big as they were.

This picture is of the GSP. It’s not the best picture ever taken but you can see the mat and single polyp that’s out.

FAE29754-2687-4E52-A258-EF961BF7931E.jpeg

These are my two mushrooms. The second one is harder to see because it sits lower than the first one. It’s not too far to the right of the first one. I have a third, though not in this picture, that I got as a freebie when buying two corals in July of last year. I’m going to mount it on the rock with the others. It’s the same species.

63A9DB92-76ED-4CA1-99D6-BB11A1A2B56A.jpeg

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GSP are opening up a bit more now. There are five or six polyps out now. The mushrooms have opened slightly more too.

CC012FB4-7312-427F-8709-853918955769.jpeg

AF24D8FE-6335-43DC-B41D-5056E6A84960.jpeg

CC2A86FF-4715-4BA2-BD17-59BFE08B133B.jpeg

I can tell I’m almost where I want to be phosphate wise. My rainbow BTA looks better again, sporting like a rose color instead of straight brown. My softies that should be brown still are a healthy brown color. I don’t have to clean the glass twice a day either. I have enough algae for the CUC and they’re doing pretty good with upkeep but there’s still some green cyano growing.

I hadn’t dosed any LaCl in a couple of days I believe until today. I dosed the full Monty, aka enough to drop phosphates by 0.08 ppm. I’ll wait a day or two to see how things look but I think two, maybe three more doses should do the trick for the next few months.

I’m still feeding my DIY frozen food mix alongside NLS pellets. I feed the system three or four times per day. I normally feed both foods each day. I’m still feeding fairly heavily so that’ll keep the nutes from bottoming out.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some FTSs yesterday, one from all three sides of my “peninsula” style cube.

Here’s a picture from the left side.

98A488E6-B8DD-47CE-93C6-FEF00A1856D3.jpeg

Next is a picture from the right side.

4CA1229B-43FD-4B38-BA68-EDD119E5A4E8.jpeg

And last but not least is the front of the DT. This photo was taken on Tuesday. Evidently I forgot to take a picture of the front yesterday. Oop

5931CC29-802E-4C66-85E4-2EE020B18C09.jpeg

I also took some other pics. These are all from yesterday.

First I want to do before and after pictures of the anemone.

This is a picture of the anemone from when I got it on 02/13

D066BB4C-01EC-424B-A1A7-59A5804D132D.jpeg

This picture was taken yesterday.

A41D6BE1-A9E5-4508-8C3E-C232DE2F47BD.jpeg

My Kenya tree seems to like its shadier spot.

5E4FFC74-9E6B-47E7-9D80-E87315575939.jpeg

The cabbage leather is also doing well in its new spot

0219D3AE-FD30-484E-A0CE-9C1556CEC5FF.jpeg

As you can see in several of these pictures my fish are getting along with one another quite well. There’s no bullying and the wrasse is eating quite well. He eats pods like crazy, but he also loves the pellets and frozen food too. He’s fat and happy.

I’m going to make 20 gallons of saltwater tomorrow so I can do a small water change. I’ll probably make an extra 10 gallons for top off water while I’m at it.

Coralline algae have started growing on all my hermit crabs’ shells as well as on most of the empty shells I keep for hermits. None of the shells had coralline on them originally so I’m happy to see that.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first. @Lost in the Sauce, @F i s h y, @fishguy242, @Mschmidt, @Goaway, @tbrown3589, @crusso1993, @DonTavo27, @rmorris_14, @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal, and anyone else who happens upon this post, I hope you are doing well. It’s going to be gorgeous weather here in Illinois. Hopefully it’ll be nice wherever you all are. Do any of you have plans for the weekend?

It looks like I might be where I need to be on phosphates. A couple of days worth of observation will tell me if I’m where I need to be.

I still have cyano forming in the sump a bit more rapidly than I’d like. Still I find those clumps to be full of pods and even worms when I try to remove them. Of course I don’t want any cyano but like with dinoflagellates there will always be some. Eventually I’ll be done with the floating clumps. Hopefully it’ll be sooner rather than later.

I’m trying to tip the scales towards chaeto rather than cyano. The chaeto looks quite healthy, it just isn’t growing like it should. Of course there could be many reasons but when I get my calcium and magnesium test kits I can get those parameters taken care of. It’s amazing how simplistic yet complex chaeto is. They’re single celled organisms yet they need so many different elements.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We had a Seder dinner at our friend's church tonight, have an Easter Extravaganza for the neighborhood at our church tomorrow, and then I'll be running sound for our Resurrection Sunday service on, you guessed it, Sunday! Busy weekend.

Glad to hear the tank is working out! Don't know if you saw, but my Nem split today. Yours will be soon too! Unless you don't want it to and then I hope it stays solitary forever!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First things first. @Lost in the Sauce, @F i s h y, @fishguy242, @Mschmidt, @Goaway, @tbrown3589, @crusso1993, @DonTavo27, @rmorris_14, @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal, and anyone else who happens upon this post, I hope you are doing well. It’s going to be gorgeous weather here in Illinois. Hopefully it’ll be nice wherever you all are. Do any of you have plans for the weekend?

It looks like I might be where I need to be on phosphates. A couple of days worth of observation will tell me if I’m where I need to be.

I still have cyano forming in the sump a bit more rapidly than I’d like. Still I find those clumps to be full of pods and even worms when I try to remove them. Of course I don’t want any cyano but like with dinoflagellates there will always be some. Eventually I’ll be done with the floating clumps. Hopefully it’ll be sooner rather than later.

I’m trying to tip the scales towards chaeto rather than cyano. The chaeto looks quite healthy, it just isn’t growing like it should. Of course there could be many reasons but when I get my calcium and magnesium test kits I can get those parameters taken care of. It’s amazing how simplistic yet complex chaeto is. They’re single celled organisms yet they need so many different elements.
Have a great Holiday weekend... :)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I am going to hide in my house, put on my old person face and yell at everyone to keep off my lawn! Even if no one is on my lawn.

Actually, I dunno. Either get a dremel, remount some frags.. Go find some emerald crabs. Hopefully lfs got some in this week. I actually need the boys. They eat vermin snails. They bust up the shell and gobble up the vermins. Females are more on algae. Remind myself, nems do nem things, do not have a heart attack! Both nems are tucked away asleep for the night. Probably what I should be doing. Sleeping.

Have a great weekend :)

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cyano in my experience grows in places of lower flow. Increase flow and it should go away. Have you used cheato grow? I dose it for my macro.

Reefing all weekend but Sunday. Easter at my parents Sunday.
I'm cooking most of the foods.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Usual grass cutting and yard work tomorrow followed by a little birthday party for my father-in-law tomorrow evening. They’ll be about 12 people at the party.

Nothing planned for Sunday other than some R & R which I am looking forward to.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a Seder dinner at our friend's church tonight, have an Easter Extravaganza for the neighborhood at our church tomorrow, and then I'll be running sound for our Resurrection Sunday service on, you guessed it, Sunday! Busy weekend.

Glad to hear the tank is working out! Don't know if you saw, but my Nem split today. Yours will be soon too! Unless you don't want it to and then I hope it stays solitary forever!
I hope you have an awesome Easter! Congratulations on the nem split! I read about it but can’t remember whose build thread I read it on. As far my nem I’d welcome splits. I’d keep the first couple of splits. After the first couple of splits I’d sell or give away the rest.

It would be a totally different story if I could get a 120 or larger, something which is highly unlikely unless the deal of the century comes along or I hit the lottery lol. If I did, the cube would become a full on nem tank. I’d put my current clowns in the bigger tank and buy clowns that are naturally hosted by BTAs.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to hide in my house, put on my old person face and yell at everyone to keep off my lawn! Even if no one is on my lawn.

Actually, I dunno. Either get a dremel, remount some frags.. Go find some emerald crabs. Hopefully lfs got some in this week. I actually need the boys. They eat vermin snails. They bust up the shell and gobble up the vermins. Females are more on algae. Remind myself, nems do nem things, do not have a heart attack! Both nems are tucked away asleep for the night. Probably what I should be doing. Sleeping.

Have a great weekend :)
You just reminded me that I have some frags to mount on rocks as well. I didn’t know emerald crabs ate vermetid snails. I might have to get more. I’m dealing with them myself although it isn’t bad yet. I hope you have a happy Easter!

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usual grass cutting and yard work tomorrow followed by a little birthday party for my father-in-law tomorrow evening. They’ll be about 12 people at the party.

Nothing planned for Sunday other than some R & R which I am looking forward to.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!
I hope you and your father-in-law have an awesome time! Have a happy and restful Easter.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano in my experience grows in places of lower flow. Increase flow and it should go away. Have you used cheato grow? I dose it for my macro.

Reefing all weekend but Sunday. Easter at my parents Sunday.
I'm cooking most of the foods.
I’m thinking about using chaeto grow. As for the cyano, it’s floating which is good because it’s easily removed. By far the bulk of the cyano is in the sump, floating or

There’s a good bit of flow in the sump. The sump is a 30 gallon tank. I have a 1200 GPH return pump in there. Of course I have 5’ of head so the flow in the DT is like 250 GPH. The water crashes down the drain line quite forcefully which is why I believe the sump has 1200 GPH worth of flow in it.

I hope you have a happy Easter!

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First. You people should sleep.

Second, running this morning then writing a paper. I'd like to tailgate a horse race but was bad with this paper and need it done more than need to tailgate. Church tonight for a probably long Easter mass. Then again tomorrow cuz it's Easter. Sister in law is coming up for food tomorrow. Parents couldn't make it: winter storm the day they were supposed to leave and my mom was sick.

Edit. Easter egg hunt at the lfs. I should go right? Yeah, I should go.

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You just reminded me that I have some frags to mount on rocks as well. I didn’t know emerald crabs ate vermetid snails. I might have to get more. I’m dealing with them myself although it isn’t bad yet. I hope you have a happy Easter!
The females wont. I only had a male and he picked my rock clean. As food became scarce, he started to nip at my coral. So I looked it up to see if the females would too. And they do not. Might have to do with the claw size. The boys have a bigger claw.

First. You people should sleep.

Second, running this morning then writing a paper. I'd like to tailgate a horse race but was bad with this paper and need it done more than need to tailgate. Church tonight for a probably long Easter mass. Then again tomorrow cuz it's Easter. Sister in law is coming up for food tomorrow. Parents couldn't make it: winter storm the day they were supposed to leave and my mom was sick.

Edit. Easter egg hunt at the lfs. I should go right? Yeah, I should go.
Due to the very long easter event, enjoy the hunt at the lfs!

I can't believe I didn't get no snow this year. Everyone else is getting covered. I'm just stuck with cold air.

I hope your mom gets to feeling better quickly. It gets worse as we get older. Being sick that is. Even a common cold is yikes.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I hope you have an awesome Easter! Congratulations on the nem split! I read about it but can’t remember whose build thread I read it on. As far my nem I’d welcome splits. I’d keep the first couple of splits. After the first couple of splits I’d sell or give away the rest.

It would be a totally different story if I could get a 120 or larger, something which is highly unlikely unless the deal of the century comes along or I hit the lottery lol. If I did, the cube would become a full on nem tank. I’d put my current clowns in the bigger tank and buy clowns that are naturally hosted by BTAs.
I got my 125 for free (had to build a stand) and my 110 tall for $100 (had to build a stand). They're out there.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back