Perseverance Reef

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As my dad used to say. "only the dead need sleep" No I'm not kidding. His insomnia was severe. I guess it's genetic. Mine's not as bad. Thank God. I'd die on an hour or 2 of sleep.

Dad actually had to drink tell he passed out. That was the only way it happened.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh yeah, I forgot... I'm cleaning my old skimmer to send to a friend that's upgrading tanks today as well. I might check the store for a Filefish or CBB (leaning more towards the Filefish) on my way home from horses too. I'm starting to see aiptasia.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Work on the tank!
tank deal with it GIF

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this late hour I’m making some RO/DI water to top off the system. Even though I’m not getting 0 TDS exactly it’s much better than the 113ish the tap is putting out tonight.

Next Tuesday or so I’ll be ordering my RO membrane. About a week from Tuesday I should have it. I’m also buying new mixed bed resin and new seals since one of them is leaky.

Next month I’ll tackle the carbon block and sediment filter. I probably won’t need the carbon block replaced immediately but the sediment filter will likely need it within the next couple of months or sooner.

There’s a high likelihood of us entering a drought soon. For all I know they might add more chemicals to our drinking water as reservoir levels drop. Even if they don’t add more chemicals I imagine I’ll be burning through sediment filters more quickly if we end up in a deep, protracted drought here, due to the decreasing water levels at the ol’ reservoir. I wouldn’t be surprised if I burned through a carbon block or two if that happens.

I’m planning on expanding my RO/DI though I’ll have to do so a little at a time. I want to create a dual DI, dual carbon block, dual RO membrane system (to go from 75 GPD to 150 GPD), and dual sediment filters.

I have other things I’ll need to do though with my reefing budget though, like to buy corals, a clam or two, a sea urchin, more peppermint shrimp, and many other neat but low bioload creatures.

Speaking of many neat creatures, remember the sponge I asked about last week give or take? Here’s what it looked like then.

1C31ABF7-BDD3-4F41-B9E9-412C2D891743.jpeg

These two images are from last night.

E6A44527-2891-4FFF-949A-513BC7364D14.jpeg

C004CF10-4F57-413C-880D-C133BF08A7DD.jpeg

I’m going to do a little more maintenance today or tomorrow. I need to get the glass cleaned again both in the DT and in the sump.

I’m going to make more RO/DI today. I want to have plenty on hand because the molly fry will be coming home either today or tomorrow. I’m going to grow them out in a 10 gallon tank. I don’t want to take any chances. Eventually I’ll have to start a 20 gallon bin once they grow larger. The fry were born in saltwater so that’ll help. I’ll keep three or four in the DT once the algae gets eaten and I’ll keep the rest in the 10 gallon, assuming they all survive.

I’m getting seven molly fry altogether. They’ll have plenty of live rock and bacteria of all kinds to eat. I’ll also pulverize a pellet or two to feed them. It should take about two months, possibly two and a half until they’re ready for the DT.

I know mollies aren’t exactly reef fish but they’ll be all over the GHA and cyano. They’ll also produce live food for the reef. Most other CUC members don’t do all that.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I got the molly fry and they’re doing quite well. There are eight of them. I have them in a 10 gallon tank. I’ll take pictures of them this afternoon.

Otherwise there isn’t anything major to report. All the animals are doing great. Slowly but surely the hermits are making headway. In a couple of months the mollies will eat whatever algae is left by then.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the new RO membrane, DI resin, a replacement seal for the DI canister which has a small leak, and a ball valve so I can keep moisture in the system when I have to disconnect it from the kitchen sink.

The new rock is being colonized slowly but surely. Pods and bristle worms started moving onto and into the new rock but I found a brittle star in one of the largest of the new rocks. I got to see it crawling onto it a few days ago but it was actually in the rock tonight. I snapped a picture just seconds before the lights went out.

E0197AC5-C81E-4DFC-A4D7-98C48E6DE9BE.jpeg

I may have lost a couple of my saltwater born mollies. I’ll move the rocks to see if they’re just hiding or if I really lost them. I definitely still have at least six. The six are eating and swimming well. They’re taking pulverized pellets with gusto. There are also pods in there for them to eat.

Edit:
I only have five left. The heater malfunctioned and the tank was cold to the touch. We keep our house around 68. I wouldn’t think 68 would be cold enough to kill them but who knows? Thankfully I still have five. I know that two of the ones I lost had the white, stringy “poop” thing going on when I got them. I was hoping they’d eat up and recover.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have five molly fry. They are eating well and are active. They look very healthy and have begun to change color. The heater I installed is keeping the tank at the right temperature so hopefully no more losses.

My BRS order got shipped out today. It’ll get here on Friday. I’m going to do a 25% water change once I get the new media and o-ring installed.

As for the reef system itself things are moving along quite nicely. All my animals continue to do well and the algae level is steady state currently if not declining somewhat.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My order came today and after the battle of a lifetime I got the RO membrane replaced. Opening the housing took hot water, a hammer to try to break up any buildup in between the threads light taps though), channel locks, and a whole lot of strength. TDS after the membrane is 6 and after the resin is 0 so that works for me.

The fish are all doing well including the mollies. I haven’t seen my peppermint shrimp in a while. They’re a year to a year and a half old now so sadly they might have passed. I rarely see my emerald crab but he’s always been secretive. The hermits are handling the algae decently but there’s a lot they have trouble getting to. Once the mollies go in they’ll deal with what the crabs can’t get to. The nem’s also doing well. My corals are looking great these days too.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little later I’m going to make some RO/DI water and mix up about 20 gallons worth. It’s high time for a partial water change.

A funny thing happened yesterday. When I went to change out the DI resin I found out that the inner canister was installed upside down previously. That explained why I had the product water starting and stopping and a higher TDS out of the resin than I expected although much better than the tap water which runs at 119 to 123 typically. I replaced the resin though because it was six months old and was exposed to water and air the whole time.

It just goes to show that sometimes the simplest answer is really the best one. I researched what would make the TDS be close to the same or even higher than the membrane’s TDS. I googled the issue and watched some YouTube videos and nothing suggested I should check the resin to see if the inner canister was installed upside down. I guess it’s one of those things to chalk up to a learning experience.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t get to do my partial water change over the weekend, but hopefully today or tomorrow I’ll get the water made up and changed.

Last night I fed my rainbow BTA and the duncans. It’s been a long while since I fed the duncans and they ate well. The anemone also ate well but it’s only been a couple weeks since they ate last. The duncans haven’t been fed in two or three months.

I cleaned the glass and got a bunch of algae off the corner overflow. It was getting bad.
Since I’ll be able to add the mollies in five or six weeks I won’t go crazy trying to get rid of all the hair algae right now.

Of course it’s the nutrient levels that are causing the bloom but I’ve finally cut off the biggest source of my nutrient issue. That would be the “RO/DI” water with the high TDS. Now that I absolutely and without a doubt have 0 TDS RO/DI water, I’ll be focusing on the second largest source of nutrients in my system which is food.

At the moment I feed the equivalent of a cube of food each day which I divide into three feedings and sometimes four. I feed pellets and my DIY frozen food. I want to try to quantify how much NO3 and PO4 actually enters my system each day and how much my means of nutrient export consumes any excess nutrients. I just have to figure out the best way to do the measurement.

I’d like to add other foods to the menu too but I want to make sure that any foods I add have the most nutrition with the least PO4 in particular. I also think the fish would appreciate the different tastes and textures.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I didn’t get to do my partial water change over the weekend, but hopefully today or tomorrow I’ll get the water made up and changed.

Last night I fed my rainbow BTA and the duncans. It’s been a long while since I fed the duncans and they ate well. The anemone also ate well but it’s only been a couple weeks since they ate last. The duncans haven’t been fed in two or three months.

I cleaned the glass and got a bunch of algae off the corner overflow. It was getting bad.
Since I’ll be able to add the mollies in five or six weeks I won’t go crazy trying to get rid of all the hair algae right now.

Of course it’s the nutrient levels that are causing the bloom but I’ve finally cut off the biggest source of my nutrient issue. That would be the “RO/DI” water with the high TDS. Now that I absolutely and without a doubt have 0 TDS RO/DI water, I’ll be focusing on the second largest source of nutrients in my system which is food.

At the moment I feed the equivalent of a cube of food each day which I divide into three feedings and sometimes four. I feed pellets and my DIY frozen food. I want to try to quantify how much NO3 and PO4 actually enters my system each day and how much my means of nutrient export consumes any excess nutrients. I just have to figure out the best way to do the measurement.

I’d like to add other foods to the menu too but I want to make sure that any foods I add have the most nutrition with the least PO4 in particular. I also think the fish would appreciate the different tastes and textures.
Quantum Coral Cane and Benepets are supposed to be fairly nutrients and they say 0 phosphates.

I have several brands of coral feed but my phosphates are so low I don't see spikes after feeding - even with Reef Roids.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quantum Coral Cane and Benepets are supposed to be fairly nutrients and they say 0 phosphates.

I have several brands of coral feed but my phosphates are so low I don't see spikes after feeding - even with Reef Roids.
I’ll definitely check these out. This month I hope to add some corals. I’ve been wanting to for a while but I needed to get good equipment and take care of the RO/DI first. I’m finally in a position to concentrate on getting corals.

I know that once I get enough corals I won’t have so many issues with N and P since they’ll take up some of the phosphates and my chaeto and xenia will keep taking up nitrates. Of course that’s assuming I keep N and P steady state.

That’s why I want to add more nutrition to what my animals are fed without adding more phosphates. Don’t get me wrong. My animals get NLS pellets and my DIY frozen food. I just want to do even better by all my animals. I’ll always seek to do that.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back