Pet Algae Octopus

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

I am sure that this forum will spark some controversy with those of you who like me, understand that all octopuses are very intelligent creatures. However when I found that my local hobby store had a dwarf octopus I couldn't help but jump at the opportunity to fill one of my spare running tanks that I had been saving as a sick tank. Currently "Squidward" the Algae Octopus from Indonesia and the Phillipines is doing well in his solo tank with lots of live rock to hide in and is fed three times a week a diet of peppermint shrimp and ghost shrimp from their own feeder tanks. He hasn't tried to escape the tank(though I have prepped it for this). He mostly hides in the live rock waiting for the shrimps to scuttle over him or for me to dangle them in front of one of his many hides. Sometimes he will play tug of war with me with my finger in which I have learned that though he is very small, he is strong enough to pull the live rock with him when you move your finger away(and he would fit in a marble if curled up). My reason for posting this controversial forum is to ask if any of you have experience with cephalopods. Have you kept octopi or cuttlefish and if so how did you keep their spirits ups? I understand that Squidward needs engagement every day or so to keep himself from getting bored thus depressed. If they get depressed then they will stop eating or attempt to escape.

unnamed (4).jpg unnamed.jpg unnamed (1).jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (3).jpg

Last edited:

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would read a few guides on octopus care, as they have some specialized needs. Here's 1 : https://www.tfhmagazine.com/articles/saltwater/so-you-want-to-keep-an-octopus

From what I recall, they are very intelligent, curious, and are notorious for sneaking out of the tank. I would try to seal every single seam/etc, remembering that they can squeeze through very tiny spaces indeed!

Briefly skimming the article, they like live foods, but I'm not clear what dwarf octopi eat.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would read a few guides on octopus care, as they have some specialized needs. Here's 1 : https://www.tfhmagazine.com/articles/saltwater/so-you-want-to-keep-an-octopus

From what I recall, they are very intelligent, curious, and are notorious for sneaking out of the tank. I would try to seal every single seam/etc, remembering that they can squeeze through very tiny spaces indeed!

Briefly skimming the article, they like live foods, but I'm not clear what dwarf octopi eat.

Good luck!
yeah I have made use of carbon filter pads to seal up areas that can't be held tight.

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck!
Also he will eat ghost shrimp, peppermint shrimp, and even frozen food out of my hand. But he most certainly prefers the live food.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but...where did you hear that octopodes would stop eating due to depression? It sounds like somebody mixed up senescence with enrichment... (giant octopus wiki page, but gives a fairly good explanation of senescence in octopodes)

Make no mistake: I firmly believe that octopodes need enrichment. Things like small jars with food in them (think baby food jars) work well. A mirror may also work. But typically, anything food related will be a better option. Try seeing how Squidward reacts to live clams (that haven't been half beaten to death), or small fish (damsels are cheapest).

I've read that while large aquariums use astroturf to keep their octopodes in the tank, the smaller species get velcro around the rims to keep them where they need to stay.

Finally, a reminder that at maximum, squidward will most likely live for around a year. The dwarf cephalopods are kinda like that, in that they have very very short life spans relative to other aquatic organisms.

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but...where did you hear that octopodes would stop eating due to depression? It sounds like somebody mixed up senescence with enrichment... (giant octopus wiki page, but gives a fairly good explanation of senescence in octopodes)

Make no mistake: I firmly believe that octopodes need enrichment. Things like small jars with food in them (think baby food jars) work well. A mirror may also work. But typically, anything food related will be a better option. Try seeing how Squidward reacts to live clams (that haven't been half beaten to death), or small fish (damsels are cheapest).

I've read that while large aquariums use astroturf to keep their octopodes in the tank, the smaller species get velcro around the rims to keep them where they need to stay.

Finally, a reminder that at maximum, squidward will most likely live for around a year. The dwarf cephalopods are kinda like that, in that they have very very short life spans relative to other aquatic organisms.
I may try hermit crabs but I have been told they may have difficulty with them. Also he is super duper shy so it needs to be something more mobile that will be more apt to go over one of the entrances to his hides. So I haven't opted for them. But I will try clams.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back