Petco rescue....hate that place.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate petco too, I'm not sure which is worse there, the rampant algae and disease or the totally improper stocking

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what the desjardini looks like. Plump and happy.

20180101_172145.jpg

I don't know about tangs specifically, but I have successfully introduced species where you're only supposed to have one in the tank.

For example, I have two Magnificent Foxfaces living together in a temporary 93 cube with other fish.

What I did was get a large "breeding box" (if that's what you could call it) that suction cups to the inside of the tank and is made of clear acrylic with holes for water movement. It has a lid that flaps open on top so I had it at the top of the tank. I already had a large established Foxface and I put the new, small one in the box for 3 days and fed her in there.

The other Foxface would come up to the box and try to attack the new one (with the venemous spines out and everything), but couldn't touch her. After 3 days, the large Foxface had backed off. All of the fish went up to the new one to check her out.

Having them in the same tank so they can see each other, but separated, works great. When I added the fish, of course the established Foxface wasn't happy and annoyed the new one a bit, but only for a day. Now the smaller one follows the bigger one around the tank. I've done this same thing with wrasses as well. Once they get over the initial phase, and realize they still get fed a lot, and the new fish isn't a threat, they calm down. So emotional these fish :).

Having a bigger one and a smaller one is also beneficial because the pecking order is already established. They won't go at each other for dominance.

And being yours aren't the EXACT same species, it may work. It's worth a shot if you want to keep it. I realize keeping a Tang in an introduction box for a few days isn't ideal, but there has to be a way for them to be in the same tank without contact at first.

Just my experience.

Mikeand Mel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats awesome!
Ironically I was in my local Petco yesterday and spoke with the mgr of the fish section, a young girl no more than 25 yrs old.
Told her about this forum, specifically this thread, she proceeded to tell me on the forums she is on she refuses to read about Petco, as almost nobody has a good word to say!
The reason I say this is while I was there the frags and fish looked great! She had one bank of tanks in blackout for an algae problem, she is constantly on these tanks.
Maybe overall Petcos as a whole are less than ideal but, I wanted to give props to the people who do the best they can.
Just my 2 cents.

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about tangs specifically, but I have successfully introduced species where you're only supposed to have one in the tank.

For example, I have two Magnificent Foxfaces living together in a temporary 93 cube with other fish.

What I did was get a large "breeding box" (if that's what you could call it) that suction cups to the inside of the tank and is made of clear acrylic with holes for water movement. It has a lid that flaps open on top so I had it at the top of the tank. I already had a large established Foxface and I put the new, small one in the box for 3 days and fed her in there.

The other Foxface would come up to the box and try to attack the new one (with the venemous spines out and everything), but couldn't touch her. After 3 days, the large Foxface had backed off. All of the fish went up to the new one to check her out.

Having them in the same tank so they can see each other, but separated, works great. When I added the fish, of course the established Foxface wasn't happy and annoyed the new one a bit, but only for a day. Now the smaller one follows the bigger one around the tank. I've done this same thing with wrasses as well. Once they get over the initial phase, and realize they still get fed a lot, and the new fish isn't a threat, they calm down. So emotional these fish :).

Having a bigger one and a smaller one is also beneficial because the pecking order is already established. They won't go at each other for dominance.

And being yours aren't the EXACT same species, it may work. It's worth a shot if you want to keep it. I realize keeping a Tang in an introduction box for a few days isn't ideal, but there has to be a way for them to be in the same tank without contact at first.

Just my experience.

The same thing I hear that tangs need 75 gallons or more yet I have a yellow tang a blue tang and a kole tang all in the same 55 gallon tank and they do just fine and in my opinion minimum tank size for fish is just based off opinion like the tangs only one tang is fit for 75 gallons or less but I successfully put three tangs in a 55 so it’s hard to even believe what people say because it’s based off opinion and experience and people told me I can’t have cinnamon clowns in my 13.5 yet I have 2 of those

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And my cinnamon clowns and my yellow clown goby I just rescued this Friday from a petco they were torn up fins and skinny belly’s I ask the worker if I could see the clowns eat and he said no sorry we aren’t allowed to feed besides once in the morning when did this rule come into play bc all the other petcos I went to always let me see my fish feed before I buy them so these guys I bought off of literally no positive things except that they had beautiful colors so rn I just feed them some live brine shrimp and omg how much they loved it bring a tear to my eye I sat down for a moment and thought to myself this is why I do this hobby because I found that I can make a difference even if it is on only three fish i don’t know it’s just a wonderful hobby that no matter how much money I spend and lose i still keep doing it because it’s not he hobby it’s the beauty behind the hobby and that’s why I love it

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last update for awhile.

Tonight was introduction night. I made a quick acclimation box out of a little plastic reptile cage. This was 6.00 at the local pet store. Cut some slots in it with a dremel tool and it worked for the time i needed it to. Yeah, the cuts were sloppy and not straight but it let water in and out so it worked.

Here he is in his little acclimation box. I held him in there for about an hour and watched the behavior of the other fish. They pretty much ignored it for about 30 minutes but then looked in and swam around but didnt look that interested.

20180228_190125.jpg

So after about an hour I lowered the box so he could let himself in and out as needed. It took about 30 minutes before he swam out of the box.
20180228_195840.jpg

He appears to want to be part of the group. There was some fin puffing and to be honest the foxface was the biggest jerk of the bunch. There was about 30 minutes or so of each one puffing up and standing their ground. The foxface "mouthed" him a few times but didnt look like he actually bit him. The yellow tang just sat there. He has quite a pair of balls that little guy.

20180228_200401.jpg

So we will watch closely as the days go by to ensure that they settle in ok. I have a fish trap ready just in case he needs to be removed. I am hopeful that they will coexist. The tank has lots of empty open space so that should help.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my small town, there were 2 freshwater and one salt aquarium shops that all closed within a couple of years of Petco opening. Petco just ate away at their profit margins, according to the LFS owners. So now if I want to visit a LFS, I have to drive 135 miles. Argh!

I don't get that one at all. Petco is the most overpriced compared to the 3 LFS in my area that stock saltwater fish, and the fish are visibly less healthy (ie faded color, ich, cysts). My LFS certainly don't worry much about them given all the repeat business that they get and the number of complaints from customers about Petco. They do move some Freshwater fish (as does Petsmart) but the Saltwater fish sure aren't selling in a hurry at my local Petco.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I applaud the effort and intention of people wanting to give a fish a better life but....

Every time you "rescue" a fish from a place like this you are merely condemning the fish on the next order to the same fate.

Only when people stop buying them will the irresponsible stores quit selling them. Then, and only then, will you have actually saved anything, IMHO of course.

Good looking tang, you have done a good job with it, best of luck!

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I applaud the effort and intention of people wanting to give a fish a better life but....

Every time you "rescue" a fish from a place like this you are merely condemning the fish on the next order to the same fate.

Only when people stop buying them will the irresponsible stores quit selling them. Then, and only then, will you have actually saved anything, IMHO of course.

Good looking tang, you have done a good job with it, best of luck!
took the words right outta my mouth.

Petco doesn't care why you bought the fish. All they care about is money in their pocket. Sure, you saved the yellow tang. But what about the yellow tang they brought in to replace it?

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I get the argument but he was there, I saw him and couldn't leave him there. For this one little guy he is in a much better place and he is loving the new digs. Second day and other than a little fin puffing here and there they are finding their own spots in the tank and are even lining up at the seaweed clip for dinner time. I am very hopeful that they will be long time tank mates.

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with petco is that petco policy doesn't give a crap about the fish they carry, they are all replaceable when they die, just keep the tanks stocked. The difference between good and bad ones is the one person working minimum wage who actually cares about the well being of the fish. If they want to go the extra mile then it shows in the fish. If not then you get a constant revolving order of fish to replace the weekly deaths. I'm glad for the ones who care and I wish there were more and I let them know that I appreciate the extra mile they take, also letting corporate know how good and valuable they are helps them keep going

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I get the argument but he was there, I saw him and couldn't leave him there. For this one little guy he is in a much better place and he is loving the new digs. Second day and other than a little fin puffing here and there they are finding their own spots in the tank and are even lining up at the seaweed clip for dinner time. I am very hopeful that they will be long time tank mates.

I get it, sucks to see them suffering

BootyPup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it seems like fish tend to "mouth" tangs a lot like you've said. My clowns will mouth my small (maybe an inch? Inch and a half) hippo tang when she gets too close or the clowns are upset. Never actually biting, just kind of mouthing.

S.O.MLemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are all coral rescues from petco in the last month. Couldn’t pass them up once I convinced them to give me all 7 of them for the price of one before they died. I only lost one frag so here are my 2-3$ frags lol(the purple torch was a rescue a few months back.
3e3816460d2cf714e128b0997bcd140b.jpg
484ac996c083e1ad1620cf9842062ac9.jpg
2161185941c18545d6ee98053f8c9a6a.jpg
4e3ba806b140303a85814cef57b6c8a1.jpg
ec19c6d4fb8b337c39a0e51de2c58b25.jpg
02292efbdf332f0b5a6a030138c53265.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back