Petco rescue....hate that place.

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FartyParty said:
IMHO, if you truely feel sorry for those fish at Petco, boycotting would be a better option. I would argue that fueling their business by purchasing a mistreated fish will encourage them to mistreat more through the laws of supply and demands. Remember, to these stores its simply a numbers game--if everyone stops buying, they will undoubtedly stop selling.

The Petco that I have access to does ok and I've had primarily success with my purchases. In fact, I've had much more success with them than the fish I've gotten from my LFStores that are dedicated to saltwater fish. I can count on one hand the fish that I have now that weren't dead in 2-3 days after purchasing from a LFS. Where as I can count on one hand the fish I have lost in 2-3 days from purchase that came from Petco.

If I saw a fish that wasn't doing well, that I thought I could bring back from the brink, I'd feel obligated to do whatever it took to alleviate its suffering. Not only is it in my blood to save animals but I also realize that knowingly purchasing a sick fish isn't going to stop a business from selling them. There will always and forever be new to the hobby buyers, dabblers and even serious marine keepers buying from big box stores. I support my LFS when I can, but seriously, most of the stuff I would buy I can get cheaper online. MY bottom line is what is important to me. I have a budget that I have to operate in and I need options in order to continue with the hobby. Keeping a LFS in business is there responsibility, they're the ones that need to make the sacrifices and give me reasons to shop there. Having to drive 1.5 hours to and from just so I can pay twice the price, is not a reasonable expectation. Besides, Petco rarely if ever carries anything interesting, unusual, they pretty much stick to the common. I think we all can name their usual fare. LOL The LFS do carry the best and most unusual fish though and that's what I love about them.

Thank you to the OP for saving the little guy. He didn't ask to be plucked from the ocean and put in a box of saltwater, and now he's our responsibility to keep safe and healthy. Bravo.

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, good discussion going on here. Even those playing devil's advocate are contributing and it's good to read all points of view. However, I have to break in to post a new updated picture and talk about my plans for the little guy.

Yes, he is in QT and will not go into main tank until cleared by me. I will not risk my other pets. So far he looks great and has shown no signs of any issues what so ever. Eats good is active and is putting on weight.

I am going to make an acclimation box to test the waters when he is ready. I really really hope he makes it into my tank. Yes,I am attached. But I will do what's right for him no matter what.

I understand the idea of not supporting the bad behavior by purchasing from this location. I don't go there looking for fish but this guy just spoke to me. I broke down and bought him. I am a bad bad boy.

Here he is as of today with his tank buddy. He is looking better and his fin is looking great. Excuse my bad cell phone pics. He is a bit camera shy. Will try for some better ones this weekend. It will be water change time again. Got to keep up on the water for him.

20180116_203433.jpg 20180116_203430.jpg

Mikeand Mel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job with the Yellow.......hes looking good!

Chiming in with my 2 cents. The local Petco here has a girl that takes very good care of the saltwater section.

She went out on leave with an injury and within 3 weeks in looked awful! She is back and the place is getting in shape again.

Employees really make the difference! The Petco here also has a frag tank with about 50 corals.

nautical nonsense

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added multiple species and even like species fish to large systems including Tangs on multiple occasions after the system and it's inhabitants are established.
It is a very simple process that is easy. Take pics of the species that are in separate tanks that are going to become future tank mates. Tape these pics to the front and side glass of the species the are going to be housed with for a week to 10 days prior to introducing. Move the pics around to different locations of the tank glass daily.
Move pics of all species that are going to be together at the same time the actual fish is moved in. Leave pics until they seem to get along.
Been doing this for over 20 years. Ends well every time for me.

ccbobafett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job rescuing fish definitely looking better, I have purchased fish from my petco with little to no problems but is obvious that they are not getting proper care in store unfortunately but is at least ok with no obvious ich or diseases in the system. My local one has a yellow tang also in really bad shape, I really want to pick it up but don’t think I have the room in my tank for it unfortunately. Strange story I recently purchased a orchid dottyback at petco, the employee filled the bag with freshwater and put the fish in it, I told him I have a saltwater tank as I looked at the dottyback almost belly up. He quickly ran back and put it back in. I still purchased the fish and is currently living happily in my tank . Just goes to show how uneducated they are in taking care of the animals.

liveround69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its kind of strange you started this thread after I recently went to their store here in Louisville KY for the $1/gal. tank sale and ended up complaining to myself about the pitiful condition of their livestock tanks.

Merry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my, such a sweet humane thing for you to do.... I'd be so in love if I were you... Maybe a new tank is needed in your home?

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco Death camp?

Um no I don’t know if that’s a sarcastic remark or not but no. If your trying to be funny I don’t appreciate it. Everyone’s right. In order to be able to do what you want with the aquatics section you must maintain $6,000 a week in all aquatic sales, livestock, equipment, tanks, decor, etc. to become a magnet store. That allows you to order anything you want, have more ability to do what you want as far as maintenance, equipment, chemical treatments, etc. Also if you are a magnet store and if your store has space they give you a frag tank. However not every Petco has that ability nor the clientele to make a magnet program. So no my Petco isn’t a death camp and I really am sorry that your hysterical remark wasn’t found funny because to me it’s serious. I treat all my fish at work as if they are my own fish, giving them the best husbandry I can possibly give to them. It’s my responsibility and my honor to be given this position and I believe it’s brought in more hobbyists into the store and actually like shopping there so I’ve done my part and I’m glad to serve the community.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um no I don’t know if that’s a sarcastic remark or not but no. If your trying to be funny I don’t appreciate it. Everyone’s right. In order to be able to do what you want with the aquatics section you must maintain $6,000 a week in all aquatic sales, livestock, equipment, tanks, decor, etc. to become a magnet store. That allows you to order anything you want, have more ability to do what you want as far as maintenance, equipment, chemical treatments, etc. Also if you are a magnet store and if your store has space they give you a frag tank. However not every Petco has that ability nor the clientele to make a magnet program. So no my Petco isn’t a death camp and I really am sorry that your hysterical remark wasn’t found funny because to me it’s serious. I treat all my fish at work as if they are my own fish, giving them the best husbandry I can possibly give to them. It’s my responsibility and my honor to be given this position and I believe it’s brought in more hobbyists into the store and actually like shopping there so I’ve done my part and I’m glad to serve the community.

Thank you to the OP! That’s really great of you!

Joe, you may be lucky but there’s no justification in treating animals like waste just because they can’t make whatever weekly sum.

I could go on for pages of what I’ve seen at Petcos. I live in NYC and Petcos, with the exception of 1 store that actually has a fish guy who knows something, simply doesn’t give a dang about their aquatic life or small animals for that matter. If they can’t make their minimum income over here with thousands of reefers then they should get out of that business.

Just about a week ago I saw the geniuses sell a 5g kit to a father and his daughter along with “Dory”...

RobertN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also going to suggest what nautical nonsense had stated about using photos on the outside glass of the species you want to introduce--it has worked for many. Another, perhaps last resort option is to put the acclimation box in the tank with the Desjardini Tang, prior to introducing the Yellow Tang, and put food in it a bunch of times until the Desjardini feels safe enough to go into it. Then eventually quickly close up the opening of that acclimation box when the Desjardini is in it and keep it in it for a week or two....maybe even three. Then introduce the Yellow Tang into the same tank and either let the Desjardini out at the same time or let him out a few days after the Yellow Tang has been introduced. This reduces the Desjardini's sense of claim/hold on the tank's territory and gives some of that claim over to the Yellow Tang....who may need it considering that the Yellow is not only coming into the tank much later than the Desjardini, but also is much smaller in size.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Petco in my area is pretty good. The corals themselves aren't so great but the fish are. I have bought several nems from that store that were in great shape. I have had them for several years. My pistol shrimp also came from the same store. The lady who is in charge is very knowledgeable. I have seen cyno in the tanks but she quickly recovers the systems. All in all it's a good store.

It's really no different than LFSs. Hit and miss. I think it's a disservice to blanket them all as bad. You have to have the right person in charge.

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 20g running as a frag QT tank for a bunch, well let's say I had fun with the WWC auctions and end of year discounts. It's to many to dip at once and drop in the tank so I figured I would setup the 20g, put a rack in it and let the coral sit there while I deal with them. I figured it would run for a few weeks tops.

I built the rack, put the HOB filter on it, some rocks and two power heads to keep water moving. I needed some biospira. I always use this on setting up the temporary tank to kick start some bacteria. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't. I just do it. Being New year's day my options were limited so I ended up at Petco.

So I am looking at thier tanks. Typical Petco, red cyano, green slime alge and aptasia everywhere. Then I spot this poor little yellow tang. He was so thin and gaunt I just couldn't take looking at him. No alge clip or food for him in the tank at all. So I took him home.

The coral tank was already up and running so I figured I could at least get him fed and healthy and at worse give him to the local salt water fish store I trust.

I have used this same tank for QT of other fish and will keep the water good for him and the coral.

The positive is he started eating immediately when the seaweed clip was put in the tank.

I have a very light load in my main 220g tank and would love to add him there when he is healthy. However, I already have a desjardini sailfin tang which is the same species as the yellow. The desjardini is also about 4x the size.

What would be the best way to introduce him or shod I just not do it at all and send him off when he is good to go?

20180101_164111.jpg 20180101_165522.jpg 20180101_165612.jpg
Here is what the desjardini looks like. Plump and happy.

20180101_172145.jpg
That Yellow Tang looks to be in pretty bad shape. His fin and dorsal are heated up. That YT wouldn't have survived in the store, thanks to you. Great job.

Acorral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to see that YT get better...

IMHO the best way to be heard as hobbyists and make a real chsnge in the conditions fish are kept in some stores, is by using our wallets wisely and not give 1 dime to any petco, lfs, or anybody that is trying to make a profit from animal suffering...

If we don't buy sick damaged fish then they will think it twice before accepting those fish in the store, or try to learn and implement better husbandry practices, including qt and recovery tanks for fish that arrive like this one...

I can see the wholesalers not giving a s#1t and sending sick diying fish to stores that accept them... If no store accepts them because nobody buys them then the effect goes up in the supply chain...

My 2c for an ideal world...

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a diy box out off egg crate and acrylic for front. Worked great.

That is what I thought about doing as well. I have a bunch of egg crate and may do that if the cruttwr box fails me or i completely ruin it putting the water slots in it. I will update the thread with pictures when i get done with it.

Who/what is his friend?

@RobertN got it right. Naoko fairy wrasse. He and the yellow are best buds.

I have added multiple species and even like species fish to large systems including Tangs on multiple occasions after the system and it's inhabitants are established.
It is a very simple process that is easy. Take pics of the species that are in separate tanks that are going to become future tank mates. Tape these pics to the front and side glass of the species the are going to be housed with for a week to 10 days prior to introducing. Move the pics around to different locations of the tank glass daily.
Move pics of all species that are going to be together at the same time the actual fish is moved in. Leave pics until they seem to get along.
Been doing this for over 20 years. Ends well every time for me.

This is interesting and I will give it a try this week. Had not seen this method before. Read about mirrors and all but pictures? Why not... lol

coil1002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We are all entitled to our own opinion and until I see differently at the majority of petco's I go to, mine will remain the same. Yours is not a death camp, but the majority I see are and its sad really. I have one right down the street, I wish I could buy fish there but every time I go in they are covered in ich, dead or dying. I always see the fresh water side looking a whole lot better but the marine is never in good shape. I'm sorry that the comment unnerved you as much as it did.

S.O.MLemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate/love this place also. There a 3 of them fairly close to me and 2 of them aren’t too bad honestly but of coarse they are the furthest ones. I hate how they kill sooo many fish/invertes/and corals due to improper training, over ordering and just simply not caring. But I do love them for the reason I can go in on Sundays(seems to be the newbie shift) and basically tell them what each creature is and the price and they just say ok is that all.....my 5$ assorted damsel(splendid dottyback), 10$ peppermint shrimp(30$ cleaner shrimp), 20$ baby ocellaris who’s colors haven’t came in(platinum clown) and my discounted firefish because his colors were “faded”(my beautiful pearl jawfish).....no I’m not shady or a liar I’m just basically saving them from almost certain death at a discount price lol. Oh yeah almost all my frogspawns, hammers, torches and blastos were bought as assorted 15$ frags lol

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back