OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mjrenz I have dealt with difficult flukes that Prazipro would not kill about the same time that Frdtrmrose7 was doing the same. We both tried different approaches to successfully kill them. After the treatment I did see an occasional flash that was likely due to some irritation left behind from the flukes. So if you see it and it does not continue on - likely there was some other irritant causing it.

You have come a long way and are getting very solid guidance so keep following those sage words!
I am following everyone's instructions as closely as can:)

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mjrenz I have dealt with difficult flukes that Prazipro would not kill about the same time that Frdtrmrose7 was doing the same. We both tried different approaches to successfully kill them. After the treatment I did see an occasional flash that was likely due to some irritation left behind from the flukes. So if you see it and it does not continue on - likely there was some other irritant causing it.

You have come a long way and are getting very solid guidance so keep following those sage words!

I will add I did have to use fenbendazole and I have had no flashing since.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add I did have to use fenbendazole and I have had no flashing since.
And I did something else but wont post it so you dont go down another avenue when you are already in good hands here :)
I was reading last night and came upon the thread where you guys were discussing what you did, that's actually why I asked if I should consider having the fenbendazole on hand. Don't worry though, I understand my limitations and won't do any treatments unless you guys recommend it

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to commend you on the ability to get 22 pages with 431 comments on a sick fish post. I suspect they will severely drop off now that you have openly supported the Packers though.
Ha ha ha! Love it. Go Bears and White Sox! I'm surprised a Packers fan has such a big heart. Just kidding [emoji16]

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s another one at petco that needs saving...so sad. This thread has me thinking about it

F6DB3437-1924-44FD-A4F0-70F2CE9CAB44.jpeg

0424BF7C-287F-4D05-A6FA-6F058618628C.jpeg

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s another one at petco that needs saving...so sad. This thread has me thinking about it

F6DB3437-1924-44FD-A4F0-70F2CE9CAB44.jpeg

0424BF7C-287F-4D05-A6FA-6F058618628C.jpeg
That poor fish, there's no reason this should even be happening. They have more than enough resources to properly care for them

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@
I would observe until this afternoon. If the flashing had stopped then it was more than likely flukes that got through the short second dose. Unfortunately that means two more Prazipro treatments 5-7 days apart to end its lifecycle.
If you want to do fenbendazole you can as it’s gentle on fish. It’s dosed 125mg per gallon for a 12 hour bath (Recommend a bucket).
I wouldn’t do another freshwater dip so soon, repeated dips can be stressful and you really need her immune system working full strength to get ahead of that infection.

If you feel you need to treat again... perhaps general cure would work better with less of an impact on the 02 in the tank. Or, if you want to try the fenbendazole that would work as a bath in a separate container.

Maybe you can grab that 20L tank that’s being offered, and treat with the bath in transit to the bigger tank. That way you can pre-dose the abx in the new tank, and little Dory will be less stressed and have a more forgiving water volume.

For now, I would just give her some time to recover while you decide on your next steps.
I just got home and I'm getting ready to run out again to pick up the new hospital tank from @Dolelo96. I peeked in on them and she is flashing again

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@

I just got home and I'm getting ready to run out again to pick up the new hospital tank from @Dolelo96. I peeked in on them and she is flashing again

Do you have General Cure? I’d dose that tonight (the metronidazole has antibiotic properties as well) wait 24 hours, and then do a water change and go back to the antibiotics.

We can tackle the second dose when we get there, depending on how the infection is looking by then.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@

I wouldn’t do another FW dip, and I’m going to say let’s go with @ngoodermuth advice directly above.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have General Cure? I’d dose that tonight (the metronidazole has antibiotic properties as well) wait 24 hours, and then do a water change and go back to the antibiotics.

We can tackle the second dose when we get there, depending on how the infection is looking by then.
I wouldn’t do another FW dip, and I’m going to say let’s go with @ngoodermuth advice directly above.
General Cure is the one thing that I haven't bought yet for medicine and I haven't found anywhere local that sells it. I was able to find fenbendazole at petco, however, it's safeguard canine dewormer but the only active ingredient is fenbendazole. I bought it incase you guys say it is ok to use, if it isn't I'll return it.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General Cure is the one thing that I haven't bought yet for medicine and I haven't found anywhere local that sells it. I was able to find fenbendazole at petco, however, it's safeguard canine dewormer but the only active ingredient is fenbendazole. I bought it incase you guys say it is ok to use, if it isn't I'll return it.

If you want. Fenbendazole I would order the Thomas labs on Amazon

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eh... it’s 22% fenbendazole, so I’d be a little concerned not knowing what the rest of the ingredients are since it’s for dogs and not fish. They don’t have a full ingredient list or safety data sheet online.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back