OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, just breathe... regardless of what happens from this point on, no one could say you didn’t put in a valiant effort! You are doing awesome work here :)
Thank you! I would feel horrible if I ended up having to share bad news though. I'm still standing about 10 feet away from the tank watching her and also thinking about another yellow tang I saw at petco tonight that looked relatively healthy but was flashing...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to sleep... I don’t want to have to respond to an emergency thread tomorrow because you poured coffee into the QT in a sleep-deprived stupor [emoji23][emoji6]
Hahahah! At least I know I could count on you to respond!

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, just breathe... regardless of what happens from this point on, no one could say you didn’t put in a valiant effort! You are doing awesome work here :)

Go to sleep... I don’t want to have to respond to an emergency thread tomorrow because you poured coffee into the QT in a sleep-deprived stupor [emoji23][emoji6]
I just woke up and checked on her, still doing well. Time for a cup of coffee

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news!
Today I'm going to order some more triple sulfa because I only have enough left for 2 doses, some more biospira, general cure, and the fenbendazole you recommended. I'm also going to stop by home depot and get some egg crate to make a top for the new hospital tank. Is there anything else you can think of that I should get to have on hand?

Last edited:

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I'm going to order some more triple sulfa because I only have enough left for 2 doses, some more biospira, general cure, and the fenbendazole you recommended. I'm also going to stop by home depot and get some egg crate to make a top for the new hospital tank. Is there anything else you can think of that I should get to have on hand?

Sounds pretty good. I found the eggcrate cheaper at Lowe’s here for some reason. I’m not sure if it’s that way where you are.
The Thomas labs fenbendazole comes in two sizes, the cheaper one is 4 packets 250mg each (1000mg) which is enough for a bath in a bucket

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds pretty good. I found the eggcrate cheaper at Lowe’s here for some reason. I’m not sure if it’s that way where you are.
The Thomas labs fenbendazole comes in two sizes, the cheaper one is 4 packets 250mg each (1000mg) which is enough for a bath in a bucket
Thanks for the tip, I'll check lowes for the egg crate. This is what I was thinking of getting for the fenbendazole

Screenshot_20190423-063821_Chrome.jpg

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General Cure is the one thing that I haven't bought yet for medicine and I haven't found anywhere local that sells it. I was able to find fenbendazole at petco, however, it's safeguard canine dewormer but the only active ingredient is fenbendazole. I bought it incase you guys say it is ok to use, if it isn't I'll return it.

General cure is just prazi and metronidazole. That is a human drug if you can’t find it I can call in some if that too. But sounds like you have other ideas already.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have General Cure? I’d dose that tonight (the metronidazole has antibiotic properties as well) wait 24 hours, and then do a water change and go back to the antibiotics.

We can tackle the second dose when we get there, depending on how the infection is looking by then.

Definitely- We use it for it’s antibiotic properties all the time: neat drug as it can be used as:
Amebicide; Antibiotic, Antiprotozoal, Nitroimidazole

Crazy it can be used for: pelvic inflammatory disease, bacterial vaginosis, aspiration pneumonia, giardia, crohns and other intestinal infections, balanitis, and more!

And now Fish!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pharmacy grade is never bad to have ;) But, the Furan-2 should work here, especially since the plan is to add the Triple-Sulfa back in.

I was suggesting the general cure vs. prazipro because in our experience it’s a bit “easier” on the O2 and less likely to cause bacterial blooms than PraziPro.

But, if she is still doing ok with the current combo, I don’t think you need to rush out and buy something else. Likely just repeat this with the next dose- leave out the Sulfa and dose the prazi and Furan-2 right after whichever water change falls in that 5-7 day period.

How’s she doing this morning?

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pharmacy grade is never bad to have ;) But, the Furan-2 should work here, especially since the plan is to add the Triple-Sulfa back in.

I was suggesting the general cure vs. prazipro because in our experience it’s a bit “easier” on the O2 and less likely to cause bacterial blooms than PraziPro.

But, if she is still doing ok with the current combo, I don’t think you need to rush out and buy something else. Likely just repeat this with the next dose- leave out the Sulfa and dose the prazi and Furan-2 right after whichever water change falls in that 5-7 day period.

How’s she doing this morning?
She's doing great, she's still a little nervous in the new tank and hiding. When she thought I was gone she came out and gobbled up her breakfast though

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely- We use it for it’s antibiotic properties all the time: neat drug as it can be used as:
Amebicide; Antibiotic, Antiprotozoal, Nitroimidazole

Crazy it can be used for: pelvic inflammatory disease, bacterial vaginosis, aspiration pneumonia, giardia, crohns and other intestinal infections, balanitis, and more!

And now Fish!
It is great having so many knowledgeable people in one place!

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is great having so many knowledgeable people in one place!

Hey i Just ordered my fish disease book by dr Noga the other day (not delivers yet) I’m old school I like the hard copy!
Because after all those years of Vet school and then MED school later and reading all this knowledge from these fine folks (@ngoodermuth et al) on here I especially realize there is always more to learn. While I hate the situation you are in I love the outpouring of shared knowledge.

For many years I raised exotic birds before the trades were nearly blocked hoping to spark interest and propagate. I came up with new ways to feed birds in captivity. The hobby was full of back stabbing and secrecy. So this post and these forums have been so refreshing and enlightening.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back