Petco rescue, two tangs

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve done two doses of prazi, 5-7 days apart correct? Could be prazi-resistant flukes then [emoji31]

Do you have fenbendazole, by chance? @Frtdrmrose7 @HotRocks

Fenbendazole is dosed at 125mg per gallon for a 12 hour bath,and be aware it doesn’t dissolve well so you’ll have to work at it. I used a 5G bucket with 4G of water in it.
Make sure you aerate the water well with at least an air stone.
8EF88299-FF17-4A86-8CDE-A3410E02D21B.jpeg

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some unfortunate news to share, Mr Yellow Tang passed away.

I did give him a 90 minute bath in fungus cure and started his antibiotics. He looked progressively worse throughout the night and was breathing heavy so I also gave him oxygen and kept an eye on him until about after 4am before going to bed. My wife and I just woke up and discovered him

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the news any of us wanted to hear. I'm so sorry for you, but I'm afraid the odds were stacked against him. I definitely applaud your efforts. You did everything you possibly could.
It's the news that I was hoping not to share, thank you very much

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did give him a 90 minute bath in fungus cure and started his antibiotics. He looked progressively worse throughout the night and was breathing heavy so I also gave him oxygen and kept an eye on him until about after 4am before going to bed. My wife and I just woke up and discovered him

Dang. Good try man!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well that sucks. You gave it your best and that's all anyone can do. Be proud of your effort!

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ngoodermuth @Frtdrmrose7 @HotRocks @4FordFamily Do any of you have any experience or thoughts on using albendazole or mebendazole to treat prazi resistant flukes? I would be able to get either of these sooner than the fenbendazole will get here

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m sorry to read this... we probably should have started the antibiotics in the beginning, it’s just hard to tell sometimes and unfortunately by the time it’s “clear” that something is needed it is often too late :( RIP yellow tang, he had a much better shot with you than where he was. Valiant effort...

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to read this... we probably should have started the antibiotics in the beginning, it’s just hard to tell sometimes and unfortunately by the time it’s “clear” that something is needed it is often too late :( RIP yellow tang, he had a much better shot with you than where he was. Valiant effort...
Thank you. I know antibiotics aren't something we want to administer unless they are needed, I was trying to keep a close eye on him and he seemed to be making so much improvement until yesterday.

Cohibaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and for a lil’ diversion....

Last night, I moved my yellow tang from his hospital tank after (hopefully) a successful treatment with copper for Velvet. Thank you Cupramine & Hanna HR Copper Checker.

Still pulling for you, Dory. You can do it!

Last edited:

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So sorry to hear. I have read every part of this journey. So proud of you for trying so hard to save these guys.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 95 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 115 50.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.5%
Back