OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, if the spots are too numerous to count, it is likely velvet and treatment should begin immediately.

I’ll leave it to the experts to advise on proper treatment for a Hippo & Wrasse
They weren't but the powdery look and swimming into the power head is what's concerning me. I'm on my way to the lfs right now to get qt tanks

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They weren't but the powdery look and swimming into the power head is what's concerning me. I'm on my way to the lfs right now to get qt tanks
Well swimming in to powerhead means a lack of oxygen to the fish’s gills. Often that’s velvet or badly damaged gills but it could also be other things such as bacterial blooms consuming the oxygen in the water (typically cloudy water is very easy to identify and the water often smells “foul”).

As far as treatment plans, 14 days in copper 2.0-2.25 (chelated such as copper power), Prazi in the water doses day 10 and day 14. Day 14 also give the fish a Prazi bath per the instructions on the bottle. Let it cover an hour or two, give it a freshwater bath, then transfer to a new, completely sterile quarantine.

That’s how I’ve handled Prazi resistant flukes and ich/velvet in the past.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well swimming in to powerhead means a lack of oxygen to the fish’s gills. Often that’s velvet or badly damaged gills but it could also be other things such as bacterial blooms consuming the oxygen in the water (typically cloudy water is very easy to identify and the water often smells “foul”).

As far as treatment plans, 14 days in copper 2.0-2.25 (chelated such as copper power), Prazi in the water doses day 10 and day 14. Day 14 also give the fish a Prazi bath per the instructions on the bottle. Let it cover an hour or two, give it a freshwater bath, then transfer to a new, completely sterile quarantine.

That’s how I’ve handled Prazi resistant flukes and ich/velvet in the past.
Thank you! I'll start getting set up

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a blue tang to constantly swim into a powerhead would also lead me to believe of something effecting the gills. I dont find that to be "normal blue tang behavior".

Now, for my Achilles tang on the other hand, swimming into the powerhead is the "tread mill" section in its daily triathalon around my tank which also includes figure 8's around the nori clips and the carousel around the rockwork while chasing or being chased by the Goldrim tang.

Everyday is the same thing, since January! Never gets tired.

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a blue tang to constantly swim into a powerhead would also lead me to believe of something effecting the gills. I dont find that to be "normal blue tang behavior".

Now, for my Achilles tang on the other hand, swimming into the powerhead is the "tread mill" section in its daily triathalon around my tank which also includes figure 8's around the nori clips and the carousel around the rockwork while chasing or being chased by the Goldrim tang.

Everyday is the same thing, since January! Never gets tired.
Funny.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s hope the other guy fights it off. Last thing you need is 2 different QT going. I would lose track of which tank needs what.
Yell at your other tang and tell him to get his act together and not get sick. Then fed him tons of worms and other healthy food.

I understand what you are saying about looking like has a fine dust. I am hoping it is just it’s coat. My purple looks the same. At certain angles he looks covered. He did have ich a week or so ago, but it is gone and he is fine now. Hope same thing in your case.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s hope the other guy fights it off. Last thing you need is 2 different QT going. I would lose track of which tank needs what.
Yell at your other tang and tell him to get his act together and not get sick. Then fed him tons of worms and other healthy food.

I understand what you are saying about looking like has a fine dust. I am hoping it is just it’s coat. My purple looks the same. At certain angles he looks covered. He did have ich a week or so ago, but it is gone and he is fine now. Hope same thing in your case.
I'm hoping I'm just overly paranoid. Worst case I'll at least be eradicating ich from my system!

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the start of my qt on a budget. My wife doesn't seem to think that this fits with her country theme in the living room, I told her it's very back woodsy

20190526_191901.jpg

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost did it again, I stopped at a different petco than where I got baby Dory because I needed more biospira. They had a blue hippo tang there that looked horrible, they would only offer 75% off so I didn't get her. I didn't want to give them another dime for a sick fish and perpetuate the problem

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost did it again, I stopped at a different petco than where I got baby Dory because I needed more biospira. They had a blue hippo tang there that looked horrible, they would only offer 75% off so I didn't get her. I didn't want to give them another dime for a sick fish and perpetuate the problem
Yeah it's tough. Also you can't save every fish every time but it's nice when you can :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back