OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best pic I could get of her tonight when she popped out to grab some food

20190522_212046.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Sorry have been checking in lately. 9 days straight catastrophe duty in Raleigh. Looking good. I may have missed it I’m sure. I think your setting up a tank. Mind recapping the plans for after the hospital treatment

Can’t believe its been a month and a half. Keep it up bud, you will be this centuries Cousteau or Paul B.? Hope he doesn’t see that :p

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Sorry have been checking in lately. 9 days straight catastrophe duty in Raleigh. Looking good. I may have missed it I’m sure. I think your setting up a tank. Mind recapping the plans for after the hospital treatment

Can’t believe its been a month and a half. Keep it up bud, you will be this centuries Cousteau or Paul B.? Hope he doesn’t see that :p
Lol ... I don't have the tank yet, Joe at Fish World said he hasn't gotten ahold of the person with the tank yet. He's normally in the store every week buying water but hasn't been in for a while. I'm really hoping he comes in soon and we can get things rolling

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably one of the better videos I've gotten, besides the fact I forgot to film it in landscape :(. I think she may have been breathing faster because of being startled by the phone, I just checked her and she's definitely breathing slower now. The ph is at 7.8 and still no ammonia, how is she looking to you @ngoodermuth?

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She looks pretty good, I agree probably just startled by the phone... she hid right away. I think she will be much more relaxed once she’s out of QT
I've been meaning to ask you something (completly disregarding the anti qt thread), if this were your fish would you continue the hypo or bring her out and treat with copper?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been meaning to ask you something (completly disregarding the anti qt thread), if this were your fish would you continue the hypo or bring her out and treat with copper?

The only reason I might not do copper instead of hypo in this very specific situation (with her already in hypo for resistant flukes), would be because it is a blue tang and they don’t really “hide” ich and velvet very well. If I didn’t do copper, I would definitely have a fairly long observation period med-free once hypo is complete, at least 3-4 weeks.

Because of the infections she had initially, and copper being an immunosuppressant... it might be in her best interest to avoid copper now that she’s come this far and hasn’t shown any signs of ich or velvet in all this time.

That said, ALL of my fish have been treated with either copper or CP at this point, and probably will continue to be indefinitely. I’ve had too many run-ins with parasites in my DTs over the years, not to.

I know that’s probably not helpful... this isn’t a “typical” QT situation :/

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I might not do copper instead of hypo in this very specific situation (with her already in hypo for resistant flukes), would be because it is a blue tang and they don’t really “hide” ich and velvet very well. If I didn’t do copper, I would definitely have a fairly long observation period med-free once hypo is complete, at least 3-4 weeks.

Because of the infections she had initially, and copper being an immunosuppressant... it might be in her best interest to avoid copper now that she’s come this far and hasn’t shown any signs of ich or velvet in all this time.

That said, ALL of my fish have been treated with either copper or CP at this point, and probably will continue to be indefinitely. I’ve had too many run-ins with parasites in my DTs over the years, not to.

I know that’s probably not helpful... this isn’t a “typical” QT situation :/
That's very helpful, thank you :)

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo are ich magnets. I’m wondering if all the water changes acted, basically like TTM, essentially knocking out the life cycle. Hmmm
I don't have any idea how much water I changed but it was a lot

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo are ich magnets. I’m wondering if all the water changes acted, basically like TTM, essentially knocking out the life cycle. Hmmm
My answer would be no, "basically like TTM" is not "TTM".

Hypo could knock out the life cycle of the parasites, copper or a proper TTM, or a combination of those 3 methods.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to start off by saying that Baby Dory is still doing great!

I do have another problem that I haven't had the time or money to deal with yet but I'm going to need to do something today. Ngoodermuth has already given me some guidance but I think I may have a new problem that requires immediate attention. Below is a pic of my other blue hippo, I know I'm already managing ich and I saw some spots on her yesterday that are gone today. I also noticed that it looks like she may have a fine dust on her when looking at the correct angle and she has been scratching on the rocks and swimming into the wave maker so my concern is velvet. To add to the problem I already know that I have prazi resistant flukes as well. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid but I could really use some help setting up a treatment plan. If my new tank is not available today I'm going to get some other tanks somehow and get qt's set up for all the fish and begin a fallow period. I have copper power & a Hanna checker, CP, fenbendazole, API fungus cure, and a bunch of other meds on hand (I just don't have the tanks yet but will have something within a few hours.

Page 54 of this thread has the conversation between @ngoodermuth and myself. If she's not around right now I could really use some guidance from @HotRocks or @4FordFamily .

Thank you everyone!

Also, I already am aware that cp is not an option for the blue hippo or the wrasse I have

20190526_114325 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back