Petco rescue, two tangs

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
bring it back SLOWLY. Try to keep the changes at +.003 per day if possible. I dont know what that magic daily number should be but raising from .009 back to the .025 range over a week or two is certainly easier. And watch for other symptoms along the way. Buoyancy issues (swim bladder) can show issues if you move too quickly.

OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
bring it back SLOWLY. Try to keep the changes at +.003 per day if possible. I dont know what that magic daily number should be but raising from .009 back to the .025 range over a week or two is certainly easier. And watch for other symptoms along the way. Buoyancy issues (swim bladder) can show issues if you move too quickly.
I imagine if I'm topping off with salt that should lessen my chances of having a dip in ph. If ammonia and ph stay in check should I avoid water changes to keep the salinity as stable as possible while I bring it up?

ngoodermuth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I imagine if I'm topping off with salt that should lessen my chances of having a dip in ph. If ammonia and ph stay in check should I avoid water changes to keep the salinity as stable as possible while I bring it up?
I usually top off with full 1.025 saltwater when a supplier sends a fish in 1.015-1.020, but maybe it would make sense to start somewhere in between to keep it even more gradual? Like maybe start by topping off with 1.018...

There’s a salinity change calculator you can use too if you’d rather do it via water changes but I think using evaporation should be fine.

I would defer to what someone with more experience with true hypo says though, since it isn’t really my area of expertise ;)

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
I've done hypo a few too many times. I usually just top off with regular salt water to bring them out of it. Best to do it a few times a day. That should be fine in a 10 gallon unless you live in a desert. Just write down the goal salinity for each day and test daily. If you need to dilute the top off water, you can. This is one place where a hanna salinity meter comes in REALLY handy. You can just stick it in the water and keep an eye on the salinity level as you add the salt water.

FWIW, she didn't show signs of ich, but given the conditions she was in, I have to assume she had it. I'd highly recommend switching to a sterilized tank before ending the hypo to avoid any possibility of ich returning. She's doing really well and the last thing I'd want to do is have to go through a different treatment in a few weeks...

Get Fish & Corals directly for the suppliers
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I've done hypo a few too many times. I usually just top off with regular salt water to bring them out of it. Best to do it a few times a day. That should be fine in a 10 gallon unless you live in a desert. Just write down the goal salinity for each day and test daily. If you need to dilute the top off water, you can. This is one place where a hanna salinity meter comes in REALLY handy. You can just stick it in the water and keep an eye on the salinity level as you add the salt water.

FWIW, she didn't show signs of ich, but given the conditions she was in, I have to assume she had it. I'd highly recommend switching to a sterilized tank before ending the hypo to avoid any possibility of ich returning. She's doing really well and the last thing I'd want to do is have to go through a different treatment in a few weeks...
I haven't started to end the hypo just yet, I'm keeping an eye on her before I decide to stop before the 30 days. So far she's still doing well

OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Whats the latest on the new tank for you? Did I miss that in one of the past posts?
Joe has been having some trouble getting ahold of the person who has the tank, I'm going to check with him again today

Top Shelf Aquatics

jsvand5

View Badges
Reaction score
This is the best pic I could get this morning, she's hiding more for some reason. Maybe I should consider ending the hypo

20190517_082508.jpg
I doubt the hypo has much to do with it. Probably more that it’s still in a sterile QT. I think it needs to get into a more natural setting before you are going to see more natural behavior. Are you going to put it in your current display tank at some point?

OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I doubt the hypo has much to do with it. Probably more that it’s still in a sterile QT. I think it needs to get into a more natural setting before you are going to see more natural behavior. Are you going to put it in your current display tank at some point?
We're waiting for her new home to be ready for pickup :)

Dolelo96

View Badges
Reaction score
Found these at Marine Depot. Anyone have experience with them? Posted this question in the medicine forum, but haven’t had a response. Thought I’d try here since we’ve definitely talked about most treatments available:confused:

BB39351C-F8DF-434E-A10A-0882C3DAD389.jpeg
8033AC9F-A965-4A3A-BF80-931214FE7A91.jpeg
77F71B98-1880-4F8E-8035-E098F5F35968.jpeg

Do you want to win a GHL ProfiLux 4 Controller Ultimate set?

• Yes I need a controller

Votes: 94 53.1%
  • Yes I would like to try this controller

Votes: 58 32.8%
  • No I'm not going to be an early bird partner member

Votes: 25 14.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Aqua SD