PH HELP!!

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, i’m about to do a water change for my 30 gallon tank (will be removing 7 adding 7 gallons of new water) and the 7 gallons i mixed have a total ph of 8.5 but my current ph in the tank is 8.14. I was wondering if the vinegar method is approved by one of you? i’d like to lower the ph to at least 8.2-8.3 and read that 1ml per gallon lowers ph by .3. would i then add 7ml and it’d still be safe for my fish? help! thanks!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I'd consider is to aerate the water. Once it picks up the CO2 in your house, the pH will come down.

That said, I actually wouldn't aerate....I'd just add the new water! :)

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple things come to mind. First, adding 7ml of vinegar is a lot of carbon to add at once if you haven't been dosing a carbon source all along- it might be fine, but it might have some poor consequences.

Second, what is the source of your pH measurement? A test kit? A pH probe (and when was the probe last calibrated)?

Lastly, if you're pH were truely 8.5 from newly mixed saltwater, any reason you couldn't leave it for a bit before performing your WC to equalize with your ambient room CO2? That would lower the pH. No need to add any vinegar this way.

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I'd consider is to aerate the water. Once it picks up the CO2 in your house, the pH will come down.

what i do is i make the rodi, mix the salt for 24hrs and during those 24hrs i utilize 2 airstones to raise the ph and cover the bucket at night. in the morning i wake up and make sure everything is right then do the dump! i’ve removed the airstones and uncovered the bucket to let it aerate! should i also turn the mixing pump off at this point or does this help with aerating?

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple things come to mind. First, adding 7ml of vinegar is a lot of carbon to add at once if you haven't been dosing a carbon source all along- it might be fine, but it might have some poor consequences.

Second, what is the source of your pH measurement? A test kit? A pH probe (and when was the probe last calibrated)?

Lastly, if you're pH were truely 8.5 from newly mixed saltwater, any reason you couldn't leave it for a bit before performing your WC to equalize with your ambient room CO2? That would lower the pH. No need to add any vinegar this way.
i measure my ph with a ph probe that i just got about 2 weeks ago. what i do is i leave airstones inside as well as my mixing pump as the salt mixes with the lid on to raise the ph over night. do you suggest i just uncover the bucket and turn the pump off or point a fan towards it? thanks for the info!

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

also, if i just add the 8.5 water to my current 8.14 water in the tank will it not raise the ph too high and too quick?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although pH is a logarithmic scale, I still would not be overly concerned....just do the water change. The CO2 in your tank will quickly bring the pH down of the new water.

Here's the experiment. Measure tank pH. Do the water change and immediately measure the pH with the new water in the tank. Measure pH again in an hour and measure the pH the following day 24 hours. My guess is that you'll be surprised! :cool:

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although pH is a logarithmic scale, I still would not be overly concerned....just do the water change. The CO2 in your tank will quickly bring the pH down of the new water.

Here's the experiment. Measure tank pH. Do the water change and immediately measure the pH with the new water in the tank. Measure pH again in an hour and measure the pH the following day 24 hours. My guess is that you'll be surprised! :cool:
i will trust your words! thank you!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back