ph help?

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys just wondering how some of you guys manage to keep a stable ph? my tank is 1 month old (30 gallons) after cycling and i struggle to keep my ph steady. i’ve tried ph buffers but i was adviced not to by BRS because those supplements usually raise alkalinity more than they do ph. i’ve been using an airstone on and off to maintain a ph of 8.2 but it seems to decline through the days and every time i do my weekly water changes. the airstone does help but i’m tired of salt creep. thanks for your 2 cents.

Last edited:

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you tell us a bit more about your setup and what your pH swings between?

For example on my current tank, I've run a line from my skimmer to the outside air to help elevate my pH and try and minimize the effect two humans and three dogs have on a tank. To stabilize the pH, I also dose kalkwasser throughout the night and run my refugium opposite my main tank's photoperiod. Even with these actions, I still have a higher pH during my photoperiod than at night. I've taken steps to reduce the pH swing, but I haven't eliminated it altogether. There are other actions I could take to stabilize it further, but at this point I'm happy with my pH range and haven't chosen to invest the time or money into further reducing the range.

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the input! i have a 30 gallon unitank. in the first chamber i have bio media and above that i have some floss. in the mid chamber i have ceramic rings, denitrate and purigen in a mesh bag and a decent amount of chaeto at the top in which i run a reverse light cycle on. above the return pump in the last chamber i have activated carbon also in a mesh bag. i'm running 2 power pumps and a surface skimmer in the main tank. for lighting i have the fluval marine 3.0 leds. avg temp 79-80 degrees my ph swings between 7.9-8.24 at most. could it be because i have the lights dimmed to acclimate my corals?

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a normal nigh to day swing.
My 120 ranges from 7.9 at night and 8.1-8.2 lights on.
Been this way since startup 1 year ago and is very common.
i'll have to check my ph during the day and then at night but i usually dont let it go below 7.9 because i turn my airpump on when it goes below 8!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back