Ph levels

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rickyrick
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Rickyrick

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 14, 2015
Messages
34
Reaction score
5
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I get my ph up, with out dosing something everyday? It stays around 7.8 night and day! I've been use balance to raise it but if I forget one day it stares to fall!
 
Hi Ricky. Usually in a reef tank, we don't even measure pH. It's a number not worth chasing if you manage other numbers. When you say you've been using balance, do you mean some kind of ph buffer? Not really a thing I'd do. Those aren't terribly effective in a tank that wants to balance some other trace elements.

I'd suggest you switch to measuring alkalinity and calcium. Then, use a two-part buffer like B-ionic to manage those numbers. You want alk at 8-9 dKH and calcium at about 450. HTH
 
I agree that i wouldn't dose either. A few common practices are room aeration, fresh air injection through skimmer, co2 scrubbing, 24/7 refugium, using kalk in top off water, using two part instead of calcium rector etc

What you can do (or want to/need to do) really depends on your setup. Where is the tank located? Volume? Skimmer or not? Granted 7.8 is a little on the low side but as mentioned you night not want to do anything drastic. Give us a few more details and I'm sure someone will chime in...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new