Phasing in new T5's

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just switched from a 384 watt Current Orbit extreme pro (4x96watt PC's) to the 234 watt Current Nova extreme pro (6x39watt T5) with 6 german lamps (ATI + Geissman). This is on a 46g bowfront with mostly LPS and zoos and a few montiporas.
Can I just switch the lights or should I only turn on 3 bulbs for a few days then switch on the rest?

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will definitely need to acclimate your tank to the new light. You may have DOUBLED the lumens! I would decrease the photoperiod to 4 hours, and add an hour every week...

dfurbee

Nancy Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I switched, I decreased the hours of lighting, when all the bulbs were lit. Still had a diatom outbreak, but my corals came back to life, and the tank looks much better :)

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, lights out stinks. Keep your eye on your corals too, even reducing to 4 hours may stress them. If you see any drastic color changes, add a piece of window screen or two between the lights and the tank. T5's with there parabolic reflectors really pack a PAR wallop compared to PC. I switched to T5 from Metal Halide, and I bleached a couple pieces, almost lost a nice red stylo colony too.... And I thought T5 would be LESS then the two 250W 10K halides I replaced. :eek:

dfurbee

Nancy Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, lights out stinks. Keep your eye on your corals too, even reducing to 4 hours may stress them. If you see any drastic color changes, add a piece of window screen or two between the lights and the tank. T5's with there parabolic reflectors really pack a PAR wallop compared to PC. I switched to T5 from Metal Halide, and I bleached a couple pieces, almost lost a nice red stylo colony too.... And I thought T5 would be LESS then the two 250W 10K halides I replaced. :eek:

Am so glad went from PC to T5. Was going to get MH, but they put off too much heat, so went with T5, and I just love them.:D

SouthernR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will definitely want to acclimate stuff as suggested above I have 4 T5's w/individual reflectors over my 46g bow and I have bleached corals. using uvl/uri bulbs 3 super actinic 1 14k

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back