Phosphates are .58?

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, i test free chlorine with a $500 hach colorimeter at work and even after rinsing with fresh water, the vials turn pink at the bottom after a good 6 months of use.
Usually some alcohol and a long q tip do the trick but until then the readings arent accurate.
Offtopic: Lol I have the same device at work. We were testing a chlorinator. First We thought it was not functioning, then it turned out that if you go above the upper limit of chlorine, the reagent goes transparent again - well it never goes pink, to be precise. It took us a good day to figure out what is going on, because although the whole lab already smelled like chlorine, the reagent still remained transparent. Thankfully nobody was injured. Oh, fun times those were..

OP
OP
Rakkasan

Rakkasan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, i test free chlorine with a $500 hach colorimeter at work and even after rinsing with fresh water, the vials turn pink at the bottom after a good 6 months of use.
Usually some alcohol and a long q tip do the trick but until then the readings arent accurate.
Ok thank you, just ordered alchohol wipes

OP
OP
Rakkasan

Rakkasan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update everone... I was over using reef-roids. Feeding my corals way too much... my phosphates are extremely high and the hannah checker wasnt too off.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update everone... I was over using reef-roids. Feeding my corals way too much... my phosphates are extremely high and the hannah checker wasnt too off.
Ahhhh the missing piece of the puzzle.
I guess we just assumed you were only feeding fresh phyto as you originally stated lol.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be the Seachem Product? I too have had a huge jump in phosphate and it coincides with the Reef Complete addition. My recent ICP results show 0.45 PO4 and 145.7 P (phosphorus) which P alone shouldn’t be in the water from what I gather.

OP
OP
Rakkasan

Rakkasan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be the Seachem Product? I too have had a huge jump in phosphate and it coincides with the Reef Complete addition. My recent ICP results show 0.45 PO4 and 145.7 P (phosphorus) which P alone shouldn’t be in the water from what I gather.
Everything I've read is the most likely reason for P04 jump is feeding. Mine was because of my reef roids feeding which was way too much.

OP
OP
Rakkasan

Rakkasan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh the missing piece of the puzzle.
I guess we just assumed you were only feeding fresh phyto as you originally stated lol.
Yep that's why it's good to keep notes which I do but everything has a after affect. Meaning this was 3 weeks ago when I was using the reef roids and it wasnt a daily routine but I did use it heavy for 4 feedings in about 7 days.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Borrow another hanna checker from someone you're sure is calibrated correctly, use it and also use a couple of standard reagent/vial tests. See how close or how far off those tests are from your own equipment.

Even hanna checker can be calibrated incorrect or just be incorrect. And tests on the same one can vary drastically even the same day. Make sure it's clean and your reagent hasn't gotten over 90 degrees or less than 50 or so. Companies often don't tell you to store at X temp because they assume you're keeping everything in the house or that you keep you house around 72 degrees.

When testing, using any kind of test, if you get a good result you should still retest. Those incorrect reading run both ways. And the more ways you test, the better chance you have for accurate results.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back