Photo theft

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know who this is? http://cgi.ebay.com/25-polyps-5-DIF...46308QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
They are using my photo that is on zoaID http://www.zoaid.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=4477
without my permission to sell a coral. I notice this happens a lot on ebay.
I am filing a Notice of Claimed Infringement
List of Allegedly Infringing Listings, Items, or Materials with ebay/
If you see your photo being used for profit please stand up against the party illegally using it.
They are selling something that they do not have to pple that work hard for their money.

coralfarm123

INDMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eBay will probably take the listing down. You are only allowed to use your own photographs. I would do the same thing.

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that sucks, sorry to hear that. It happens a lot.

With my D300 it has my full name, website, and copyright info embedded into EXIF data now...it was a very recent release of new firmware for it. I am glad to have it now.

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly don't mind my pics being used for any non-profit use, and probably wouldn't have minded so much if they had asked from the start, but don't think I would have allowed it if it was to sell something unless it was stated on the auction in large print that the zoas in the photo is not what they were getting, but just a depiction.
Fortunately there is a form I can fill out with ebay and not only will the site that used the photo loose priveliges but I can seek punitave damages too.
I have told the auctioner to remove the pics and will give them a chance before I do anything more.
I hate when I order zoas and get something that looks nothing like the photos. Happens all too often.

mltascp

Alabama Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the ebayer you are talking about, I have purchased rock from her when we went to FL on vacation. She is a nice person. I am sure you can call her and talk to her. Her number is posted on her website. Do a search for Piece-of-the-Reef.

ReefRunner

Reef hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually know of them. Their home/business is only about 5 miles from my home. I have been to their place one time about 1.5 - 2 years ago. They seemed like nice enough people but that is not cool to use your photos without permission. Hopefully eBay will do the right thing and make them remove your image.

Robin

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People like this should be watched carefully. If they'll steal one photo, they'll steal others. I just checked their site and didn't see any of my shots or recognize any that have been posted here recently. Christina is now on my watch list. I'll also pass the word whenever I can that there is a question of honesty with this business. Flricordia, please pursue this to an acceptable end. This kind of theft goes on way too much.
Gary

cultivatedcoral

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had that problem happen to us as well but it was our listing info that was copied. Make a complaint with ebay and it should be resolved.

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see my photos all over the place, and I dont even take good pictures. It has never bothered me but just to keep people honest I plan to start water marking them.
As people stated, contact ebay and they will end the auction.
I think there is a link at the bottom of the auction page where you can report a problem.

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People like this should be watched carefully. If they'll steal one photo, they'll steal others. I just checked their site and didn't see any of my shots or recognize any that have been posted here recently. Christina is now on my watch list. I'll also pass the word whenever I can that there is a question of honesty with this business. Flricordia, please pursue this to an acceptable end. This kind of theft goes on way too much.
Gary
I have received a form from ebay to fill out and fax back to them. Once this is done they will send another form for me to electronically fill and return and that will get the ball rolling.
This has happened before on a reptile site that used my pics of reptiles for profit. That's why I so aggravated about it. Too many sellers/sites think they can do as they please with another persons property. They must think that if a pic is on the Internet it becomes public property which is far from the truth.
If anyone wanted to use any of my pics for anything other than for-profit, they have my blessing. Anything for profit and without my permission, or any other photo owners permission, they have stolen the image. Plain and simple. Fortunately the Internet has come a long way since its early days and the theft of photos is starting to become a recognized problem with ways to stop it and there are even steps to claim monetary compensation.
If someone makes a profit with your image they must pay you for the use of the image.

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was why I used Flash to code my sites. It's a movie, and pics cannot be stolen from those. There is also some javascript that can be written to stop people from taking the full size pic, but it doesn't stop them from taking the thumbnails.

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was why I used Flash to code my sites. It's a movie, and pics cannot be stolen from those. There is also some javascript that can be written to stop people from taking the full size pic, but it doesn't stop them from taking the thumbnails.
They took it from ZoaID. I have several pics there so I will be contacting zoaID to let them know. I do not believe they would want someone taking the pics from there to use for profit either.
ZoaID has rights to the photos that have been given by the photographers so in a way the site on ebay has stolen them from zoaID too.

LAMPCOV

Great, another addiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that sucks, sorry to hear that. It happens a lot.

With my D300 it has my full name, website, and copyright info embedded into EXIF data now...it was a very recent release of new firmware for it. I am glad to have it now.

Jr. - Is this something you do directly from the camera or do you upload that info to the D300 and it is subsequently automatically added to each photo? I think I can automatically update EXIF data from my 50D when downloading, but not set it to be written "in camera".

gnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great topic. Not that I mind any whatsoever but your avatar photo is my photo. You purchased the coral from me on ebay. Again, I dont mind at all. If you post the picture as your avatar I figure that you are happy with your purchases.
Just so that the question doesn not come up, you are more than welcome to use the photo as long as its not used for profit.

If they are looking for the javascript code, here's a quick link to an example: http://www.brownielocks.com/stopcopying.html

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had recently updated the firmware on my D300 to get the improved auto focus, and a few extra options they added...the copyright feature was a new one...

its build right into the camera in the menu now...

Jr. - Is this something you do directly from the camera or do you upload that info to the D300 and it is subsequently automatically added to each photo? I think I can automatically update EXIF data from my 50D when downloading, but not set it to be written "in camera".

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all my pics are in flash as well on my website. It wont help against a screen capture though...

there really is very little you can do about it...its going to happen...doesnt mean you shouldnt address it, but its going to happen.

Ive had many websites, online magazines, and oddly enough a turkish printed magazine contact me about use of pictures, and I always let them as long as its not for profit...

I never post large format pics anymore though...dont feel like my pics showing up on istockphoto.com or anything...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back