Phytoplankton Culture Tube Diameter

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to improve my phyto setup and I was hoping to improve my setup. I was watching a video and a guy stated that you can snugly fit a 1/4" tubing over a hard 3/16" air line tubing. However, what I don't quite understand is if 1/4" airline tubing would actually fit on a standard Tetra Whisper for 100 gallons? How do you guys set up the hard airline tubing?

OP
OP
BloopFish

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clean cut will make it easier so some good wire cutters are best. Take a lighter to the end and smooth it out if needed
Nice, sounds good. I was wondering how strong the air pump should be? Trying to figure out what size of Tetra Whisper I should have. Currently just using Tetra Whisper 10 for my single culture. I imagine phyto cultures don't need as much air pressure because theres no airstone? I was planning on having 5 2L cultures. How large is your culture and how strong of an air pump do you use?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an air pump that feeds a gang valve for several things. You will want to dial in air flow so quality metal is preferred. I wouldn't worry about output being very high but get a reliable pump with a good gang valve.

OP
OP
BloopFish

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an air pump that feeds a gang valve for several things. You will want to dial in air flow so quality metal is preferred. I wouldn't worry about output being very high but get a reliable pump with a good gang valve.
Definitely getting a good plastic gang valve. What type of air pump do you use?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get air if possible, it’s too hard to control. Metal is the way to go!

HIRALIY Aquarium Air Pump, Fish Tank Air Pump with Dual Outlet Adjustable Air Valve, Ultra Silent Oxygen Fish Tank Bubbler with Air Stones Silicone Tube Check Valves Up to 80 Gallon Tank

This is what I got but I have 4 cultures, some macro and brine shrimp going.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back