Pico Jar Experiment

Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO

Streetlamp

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 4, 2019
Messages
558
Reaction score
499
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to try an experiment and set up a Pico Jar. If I can get it going simply the plan is to give it to my Niece who is animal mad. I don't even know the volume. Currently it just has some coral aragonite and some live rock taken from my DT, and an airstone for aeration and flow. I've had a trochus snail in for week now devouring algae and I just added some GSP which is out and happy today. Its being lit and heated by sunlight at the moment. I need to add a detritus eater and then maybe a small crab and shrimp. Coral will just be bits from my DT.

F58B5175-AF69-4FA0-B1EF-9A046057D35B.jpeg
 
It can survive via sunlight, but if you want some real stability, I would suggest a 10w heater if you get the chance!

Also, if you want to cut down on evaporation, I found putting a bit of silicone around the lid (not sealing it shut, but acting as a gasket) helps tremendously!

Looking good! Your niece is going to love it!
 
Nice you should see if you can get a led daylight bulb for it , my tank seems to do quite alright on the Wally world light.
 
I reckon I will end up adding a heater, I found one on Amazon. Trying to find a nice neat light is proving harder.
 
You could Diy it and build the fixture from a flower pot or something for an idea
 
A little update.

I added a heater, I also nearly gave up as it went through an ugly stage with horrible brown algae all over but it has cleared up now.

BD898362-A05F-4334-B6F4-3AC63D2D1E49.jpeg
 
I got a 7.5 watt heater that came with my Cunzo Mini Aquarium that would probably be a better fit for you. The actual heater bit is ~3/4" x ~1 1/2" so it could be hidden better. It's also meant for a tank that's well under 1 gallon.
 
Yeah the heater is a bit big, I'm not too worried though, its only a bit of lockdown experiment.

I meant to say I've also got a decent bit of micro Pod life going on.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new