Pico tank coral stocking

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got this 2 gallon pico tank set up and stocked but the top of the rock work looks a little bare. Is there a good coral to keep in a pico tank that likes medium to high par reading and high flow?
1610346806051.jpeg

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some species of zoa do really well in med/high or even very high par. Many of the photosynthetic gorgonians would do well there. What about some clove polyps? They do well in a wide variety of lighting

OP
OP
Alphawolfxz3

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some species of zoa do really well in med/high or even very high par. Many of the photosynthetic gorgonians would do well there. What about some clove polyps? They do well in a wide variety of lighting
I was thinking about the polyps

OP
OP
Alphawolfxz3

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about that. They really just spread horizontally by repropagation. If you have something like a crab in there it would help it spread.
Ahhh okay

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk about GSP, Or xenias. They can explode and taken over a tank. With such a small tank you might want to avoid those corals. Have you considered an sps coral??

OP
OP
Alphawolfxz3

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk about GSP, Or xenias. They can explode and taken over a tank. With such a small tank you might want to avoid those corals. Have you considered an sps coral??
I have. But I don’t know if they could handle the water quality

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my Xenia just to give an idea on how they grow. They cover the rock they’re on so would fill your scape out nicely. Just don’t let it overgrow. They’re easy to Frag though.
1DCD6FEF-EDE0-4EC8-8E6D-0189338864C7.jpeg

3E2E7C86-7139-4380-B47A-53FA7FBAB2C8.jpeg

Additionally, they break off polyps which then attach to a base. Then, they grow a new head.

There are tons of slower growing polyp corals too if you’re concerned about rapid growth. I’ve never found it to be a huge problem though, so long as it’s kept under control.

OP
OP
Alphawolfxz3

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my Xenia just to give an idea on how they grow. They cover the rock they’re on so would fill your scape out nicely. Just don’t let it overgrow. They’re easy to Frag though.
1DCD6FEF-EDE0-4EC8-8E6D-0189338864C7.jpeg

3E2E7C86-7139-4380-B47A-53FA7FBAB2C8.jpeg

Additionally, they break off polyps which then attach to a base. Then, they grow a new head.

There are tons of slower growing polyp corals too if you’re concerned about rapid growth. I’ve never found it to be a huge problem though, so long as it’s kept under control.
That and my no3 is very low so nothing grows very fast in that tank

OP
OP
Alphawolfxz3

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s probably for the better, so a Xenia may be a good coral for you, so long that there are some nutrients to keep it alive.
Ya. That’s what I’m trying to figure out how to do with the pico tank. Because every time I test I have like 0 no3 and 0 Phosphates

OP
OP
Alphawolfxz3

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh. I guess that could be an issue. You could throw some food in there to decompose or dose some ammonia.
Would dosing strait ammonia be okay? Because I have some from when I cycled the tank. And I have been trying to grow some food in there to decompose but I notice only my phosphates will only go up and not my nitrites.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would dosing strait ammonia be okay? Because I have some from when I cycled the tank. And I have been trying to grow some food in there to decompose but I notice only my phosphates will only go up and not my nitrites.
Dose ammonia and possible more bacteria to kickstart the nitrogen cycle. Consider many places for the bacteria to live. Continue to dose ammonia to keep the population stable. Without a fish, there wouldn't really be anything to feed the nitrifying bacteria.

OP
OP
Alphawolfxz3

Alphawolfxz3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose ammonia and possible more bacteria to kickstart the nitrogen cycle. Consider many places for the bacteria to live. Continue to dose ammonia to keep the population stable. Without a fish, there wouldn't really be anything to feed the nitrifying bacteria.
Ya I could see that. But the bacteria population should be big still. I will slowly dose ammonia into the tank. How much should I dose?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back