Pico Tank Stock

Isaac_Tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,
I’m setting up a pico tank, just a small about 6 gal or 7 gal, I don’t plan on adding corals really but figured just make it aesthetic looking and relaxing. The light I have with it is just a basic 2 tone light, white and blues, and only two functions just day and night. I plan just having live sand, live arch rock, and Macroalgae. I plan with any fish I’d keep in the pico when they get too big I’d transfer them to a larger tank I already have established.
Any ideas?

OP
OP
Isaac_Tang

Isaac_Tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
firefish?
I’ve thought about them, maybe a pair of purple firefish bc I can already see very little color in the tank since I won’t be keeping many corals in the tank so I’d love a fish to pop with color!!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 or 7 gallons is just too small for a pair of firefish for several reasons: they'll fight with each other unless they're a bonded pair; they're not pico-sized fish; they do like hiding spaces and swimming room. Just remember that , if you add live rock and coral, you'll be diminishing the actual amount of swimming space for fish. You could easily end up with only half the tank volume available for fish movement.

You could try one of the following:

- a yellow watchman goby and/or pistol shrimp pair
-one orchid dottyback; it's a stretch, but captive-bred specimens are great and the colour can't be beat
-a captive-bred rainfordi goby (which has been trained to eat frozen and prepared foods)
-a pygmy geometric hawkfish. Mine's a stunning fish, but very timid and a bit cryptic.

OP
OP
Isaac_Tang

Isaac_Tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 or 7 gallons is just too small for a pair of firefish for several reasons: they'll fight with each other unless they're a bonded pair; they're not pico-sized fish; they do like hiding spaces and swimming room. Just remember that , if you add live rock and coral, you'll be diminishing the actual amount of swimming space for fish. You could easily end up with only half the tank volume available for fish movement.

You could try one of the following:

- a yellow watchman goby and/or pistol shrimp pair
-one orchid dottyback; it's a stretch, but captive-bred specimens are great and the colour can't be beat
-a captive-bred rainfordi goby (which has been trained to eat frozen and prepared foods)
-a pygmy geometric hawkfish. Mine's a stunning fish, but very timid and a bit cryptic.
Awesome!! Thank you so much

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back