##### Picture Entry: BC RAINDROP ON ROSES GROW-OUT CONTEST #####

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is my received photo. 12Oct2022

@lynn.reef.nerd
@Reefing102
@BranchingHammer

Raindrops 12OCT2022.jpg

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My box arrived! Probably the best packaging I have had in the hobby, the information on the coral bags is an amazing thought I have never seen before as well. I only wish my tank was better so I could order more!! Picture coming tomorrow !

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What method of reefing are all of you using during this contest?

I was carbon dosing for awhile, but for some reason it affected my corals negatively. I saw much more STN due it, regardless of there being plenty of residual nutrients. I stopped carbon dosing and am now relying on daily 2% auto water changes as well as a larger 10% weekly water change. This allows me to remove built up detritus during the large water changes and also keep nutrients stable and in check with the daily changes. I've been able to feed more due to this and not had to worry about spiking nitrate/phosphate. I also lowered alk to the mid 7's and have seen overall improvements from that change. I use kalkwasser for alk/calcium supplementation and the pH boost. I also utilize an auto filter roller, skimmer, CO2 scrubber, and a pile of rock in the sump.

I'm interested to see what others are doing to grow their coral. Excited to learn. I feel like these contests help you find out who the people are that are doing things right so you can follow their example. Compared to many of you here, I'm just a novice looking for more knowledge and advice.

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started carbon dosing for the R250 this time around and it has worked out pretty well so far. I've never had nutrients this low before or SPS survival rates.

However, I had a problem about a week ago where the bottle forward siphoned into the tank. I think I had too long of tubing which created a lot of suctioning or siphoning. Im not sure if the Jabeo doser was at fault as all the other worked fine. I grabbed a 2 head unit to automate the carbon dosing about a month ago. The tubing kept getting bubbles and breaking the dosing amount so I had to keep purging the bubbles every couple days. Then one day the LPS and zoas we're all closed. Did large water changes for a few days to reset. Now I've been trying to get nitrates and phosphate back in.

I may add a bio pellet reactor like in my P500 instead of dosing NOPOX. The P500 is a new build so it's not ready for corals so I don't know how well it'll work. So far nitrates are floating around 0-2 with 10+ fish and heavy pellet feedings.

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 gallon
ALK 8-8.3
Calcium 400-420
Mag 1380+/- some
Po4 .07 +/- a little
Nitrate around 12
Dose phyto nightly
Dose different Bacteria every morning
Filter roller
Aquaforest biofill media in reactor
Aquaduo Skimmer
Uv steralizer
GFO / Carbon only when needed
Carbon dose TM bactoballance every morning
Calcium Reactor
No water change in over 18 months
Lots of fish poop feeding corals ( 25 fish )
Most importantly Reefmoonshine!!!

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I feel very out of my element here and my frag has not yet arrived!

I don't dose anything as the tank has been pretty stable and being a nano I feel like things can easily go wrong.
I have the Fluval evo 13.5G, upgraded lights to the Marine 3.0 but thinking about taking the lid off and going with a AI Prime or Noopsyche mini.
I do approx 15% water change weekly.
I do have chemipure blue in one of the back chambers.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh I feel very out of my element here and my frag has not yet arrived!

I don't dose anything as the tank has been pretty stable and being a nano I feel like things can easily go wrong.
I have the Fluval evo 13.5G, upgraded lights to the Marine 3.0 but thinking about taking the lid off and going with a AI Prime or Noopsyche mini.
I do approx 15% water change weekly.
I do have chemipure blue in one of the back chambers.

Dont get discouraged, there are many ways to reef. Some have success with the way they do it and others have success by the way they do it.

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont get discouraged, there are many ways to reef. Some have success with the way they do it and others have success by the way they do it.
Totally agree there are many ways to do things, I am just starting to get nervous that I am going to kill these gorgeous frags I am getting biting off more than I can chew!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back