Pigmy Angels and Corals

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most pigmy Angels seem to be trouble, if not at first then down the road they can causes issues, or stress on different corals. not saying that you will see noticeable damage in most cases but non the less. nipping is just in their nature. they may not start off doing it but in time they may start. in a larger tank you may not even notice an issue all. some sps will just stop opening during the day. they may even a quire taste for soft coral and lps, but in those cases it will be very noticeable. i am i saying you shouldn't have one, not at all but i do think about the cost of some corals over a fish that may cause issue, damage, and stress to my corals.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, keep in mind how so many "reef safe" fish are NOT reef safe. Past that, define "reef safe" :nerd:

I've personally had much more success keeping angels than tangs. I had a yellow tang absolutely decimate a colony of Acanthastrea lordhowensis, and I had both Salarias fasciatus (lawnmower blenny) and Chromis virids (blue-green chromis) pick at my Acropora colonies like crazy.

Fish are like us, they have different personalities and do different things, angels being one of the most diverse in that aspect, which leads to their "uncertainess" and "spur of the moment" changes. It's also the same reaons why they're the coolest fish to keep :D (IMO of course)
I have a couple of leathers I will like to move out of my reef, are these bothered by the angels?
Most angels are not fans of the noxious chemicals leather corals release.
Stun, you're a beast.
LOL, thanks bro.

OP
OP
knockout

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most pigmy Angels seem to be trouble, if not at first then down the road they can causes issues, or stress on different corals. not saying that you will see noticeable damage in most cases but non the less. nipping is just in their nature. they may not start off doing it but in time they may start. in a larger tank you may not even notice an issue all. some sps will just stop opening during the day. they may even a quire taste for soft coral and lps, but in those cases it will be very noticeable. i am i saying you shouldn't have one, not at all but i do think about the cost of some corals over a fish that may cause issue, damage, and stress to my corals.

remember this tank will be dedicated to the Angels and not the corals... corals will come from frags off my reef... I am just trying to find some corals they seem to avoid... Sarcophyton and Sinularia being mentioned in the article posted before is a great choice for me since I have two large colonies.

dfladermaus

Mad Scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do not see any problem with nipping. I have 6 going on 7 angels in my 180 display (sps only) and to be honest I prefer nippers. I like the fact that they could, would, and will eat things off of the coral. Across all my systems I have 10 angels I believe. I keep them with any variety of corals from soft to lps to sps with the angels without any issues. The reason I have no issues is because I adapt the corals to the fish and not vice versa. Ive found certain centropyge are much more prone to eating corals, which I think is a problem not nipping, than others but the generalization is neither species specific nor genus specific. Angelfish have their own personality, so you never know what you will get. The only way to find out is to try, and be ready to take the specimen out if it eats something you value more than the fish. Good Luck!

One other note, My male Regal loves leather corals, so no matter what you read, angels can and will pick at almost anything that interests them.

wingman1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a lemonpeel angle for about six months with out an incident then one day ate an my povona colony

ReeferBen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame angel in my SPS/LPS tank and he nips at the SPS but doesnt touch the acans or chalices. Doesnt seem to bother the SPS he nips either.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back