Pincushion urchin eating snails?

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My white pincushion urchin flipped over one of my turbo snails and tore him apart and ate some of him I think. I found the snails “shield” type thing they use to close themselves in there shells and I also found pieces of him on the sand. he hasn’t moved in a while and I’ll probably take him out soon. Anybody else ever have this happen I thought urchins were herbivores.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My white pincushion urchin flipped over one of my turbo snails and tore him apart and ate some of him I think. I found the snails “shield” type thing they use to close themselves in there shells and I also found pieces of him on the sand. he hasn’t moved in a while and I’ll probably take him out soon. Anybody else ever have this happen I thought urchins were herbivores.
I have a pincushion and it bothers none of my inverts
Once snail’s trapdoor is open and it’s upside down, it becomes vulnerable to attack

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pincushion and it bothers none of my inverts
Once snail’s trapdoor is open and it’s upside down, it becomes vulnerable to attack
Ok so now my urchin has black stuff coming out of him near his butt. Npot being stupid but that’s what happening. Never had this happen before you know what it means?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok so now my urchin has black stuff coming out of him near his butt. Npot being stupid but that’s what happening. Never had this happen before you know what it means?
Likely expelling waste

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pic of urchin?

They are technically listed as omnivores, but prefer algae to meat. Never seen it happen myself.
Opportunity for any invert
Not unusual to see them on top of a dead fish

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of urchin?

They are technically listed as omnivores, but prefer algae to meat. Never seen it happen myself.
My fire urchin ate my feather duster! I rescued what was left of it, but the urchin went right back to it and ate the rest of it. I don't know what they eat in the wild, but I polychaete tube worms would not have been my first guess.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I witnessed my pink urchin (looks like pincushion) carrying around a margarita snail on his back -- snail upside down.
Didn't think anything of it then later urchin had the snail pinned and devoured it.
*had four margarita snails for about a year,,, all fine through multiple tank transfers,,, now down to three!

Also was too late to save one small blue-legged hermit crab.

*some might speculate that the snail/hermit must've been dead/dying but not in my opinion from what I witnessed.

FishAccordingToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!

I'm wondering if different species/types have different diets and behaviors.

I have what LiveAqua lists as a Purple Short Spine Pincushion Urchin (Pseudoboletia sp.). He is small, very white, with purple spikes. I think many people have regular pincushion urchins (liveaqua: Pincushion Urchin (Lytechinus variegatus)) I'm guessing that a lot of confusion comes from unlisted/unresearched differences between the two.

My Short Spine prefers to eat (in order):
1) Red Ogo - LOVES it! ... Also the red pigment in the ogo makes the urchin waste orange and glow under blue light. Haha
2) Chaeto - Eats it, but doesn't like it
3) Inverts - He has eaten turbo snails but not cerith, a feather duster, and a tuxedo urchin
4) Nuisance Algae - I have never seen him eat hair or film algae or anything off the glass

Regular Pincushion Urchins may have a more herbivore diet compared to the Short Spine.

Does anyone else have urchins that follow that pattern? Maybe we can narrow down tendencies and take care of them better.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!

I have what LiveAqua lists as a Purple Short Spine Pincushion Urchin (Pseudoboletia sp.). He is small, very white, with purple spikes. I think many people have regular pincushion urchins (liveaqua: Pincushion Urchin (Lytechinus variegatus)) I'm guessing that a lot of confusion comes from unlisted/unresearched differences between the two.

1) Red Ogo - LOVES it! ... Also the red pigment in the ogo makes the urchin waste orange and glow under blue light. Haha
3) Inverts - He has eaten turbo snails but not cerith, a feather duster, and a tuxedo urchin
4) Nuisance Algae - I have never seen him eat hair or film algae or anything off the glass

Regular Pincushion Urchins may have a more herbivore diet compared to the Short Spine.

Does anyone else have urchins that follow that pattern? Maybe we can narrow down tendencies and take care of them better.
Im not really sure about mine cause my tanks clean as heck and i just feed him nori.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!

My urchin was just labeled "pink urchin" at the LFS I bought from.
Basically looks like a pincushion urchin to me.
When I search "pink urchin" online, I usually find "rose pink urchin" and pics of those vary a lot but usually are more obvious pink than mine, although shape/spines look the same.

His order of preference for food is:
1. Coralline on the rocks -- carves the rocks bald pretty quickly.
2. Nori when I'm trying to get him interested in something other than coralline on the rocks.
3. Algae wafers are hit and miss -- goes a couple weeks where he loves 'em then a couple weeks where he won't touch them.

Seems to be grazing on the following quite a bit but never seems to make a dent in any of this:
- Coralline and film algae on the back glass
- Hair algae

*as I mentioned in post #9 above, I have witnessed him eat a couple of small inverts that appeared to be in good health and had been going strong for 1+ years.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring white and about the size of a baseball. Not I would not get another one or any other type of urchin. They are not captive bred. I just bought one though because he was 15 bucks And I thought I could rescue him.
*Bright white.

FishAccordingToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a brief check:

Blue Tux = Peaceful
Pincushion = Peaceful
Purple Small Spine = Semi-aggressive

I guess I know why my little dude is such a troublemaker now! haha

Attachments

• Blue Tuxedo Urchin.jpg
    Blue Tuxedo Urchin.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Pincushion Urchin.jpg
    Pincushion Urchin.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 25
  • Purple Small Spine Urchin.jpg
    Purple Small Spine Urchin.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 38

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!

Yes different diets and tendencies.... a mostly herbivore when out of algae etc may turn to other things to survive. I am inclined to strongly agree with @sfin52 here however, already dead snail. I have a white Pincushion, never touched a thing, also rockborer same. Used to have a Pencil as well, it went rogue on some soft coral and got the boot. Likely because of overstock / lack of food, and they are one that has history of occasionally hitting at coral....

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes different diets and tendencies.... a mostly herbivore when out of algae etc may turn to other things to survive. I am inclined to strongly agree with @sfin52 here however, already dead snail. I have a white Pincushion, never touched a thing, also rockborer same. Used to have a Pencil as well, it went rogue on some soft coral and got the boot. Likely because of overstock / lack of food, and they are one that has history of occasionally hitting at coral....
How did u feed ur pencil urchin?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back