Pink streaked Wrasse in a 15 gallon?

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15g is probably the minimum for pink streaked or possum wrasse. They are peaceful and reef safe. Should have live rock, caves and some open swimming space. Hopefully your clowns accept a newcomer.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I could put a pink streaked wrasse with my pair of clowns in my 15 gallon cube tank? Any input would help!
I wouldn’t, clowns are nasty in general - However in such a small tank, they will be outright evil. Pink Streaks can’t cope with even minimal amounts of aggression during the establishing period so it’s best to add them early on before other fish are introduced.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate being “that guy” but 15 gallons is small, even for a pink streak. I personally agree with Eric from Tankstop that 30g is good for them. Maybe if you got a tiny little one.

This is especially true with clowns, who are mean and territorial, especially when they get to reproducing age. A pink streak is a goner if there’s any slight bit of agression.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate being “that guy” but 15 gallons is small, even for a pink streak. I personally agree with Eric from Tankstop that 30g is good for them.

This is especially true with clowns, who are mean and territorial, especially when they get to reproducing age. A pink streak is a goner if there’s any slight bit of agression.
I disagree with 15G being too small, I had my first one in a 15G tank (RS Max Nano - 20G total but 15G display). He had a great life and had plenty of swim room. It all depends on how you shape your rock. Here was my nano;
1702149272781.jpeg

And the fish in question,
IMG_9125.jpeg

IMG_9123.jpeg

IMG_9122.jpeg

But, I have done many things that people disagree with, especially with wrasses and gobies. And also now my foxfaces.

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with 15G being too small, I had my first one in a 15G tank (RS Max Nano - 20G total but 15G display). He had a great life and had plenty of swim room. It all depends on how you shape your rock. Here was my nano;
1702149272781.jpeg

And the fish in question,
IMG_9125.jpeg

IMG_9123.jpeg

IMG_9122.jpeg

But, I have done many things that people disagree with, especially with wrasses and gobies. And also now my foxfaces.
What tank mates did you have with it?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept one in a 14g for years and he was happy as a lark. Looking at your scape I agree with @icantthink, your scape would need to be built up with caves and passage ways. The way it is set up now I think any newcomers would have a brutal welcoming.

1702167766498.png

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept one in a 14g for years and he was happy as a lark. Looking at your scape I agree with @icantthink, your scape would need to be built up with caves and passage ways. The way it is set up now I think any newcomers would have a brutal welcoming.

1702167766498.png
ok thanks i will send pics from other angles because there are caves

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tank mates did you have with it?
I had it as one of the first fish in the tank (He went in just after my Yasha Goby did). However I think in total I had 9 fish at one point;
- Naoko’s Fairy Wrasse (This guy was only in there to get braver and grow a bit more)
- Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (This girl is still quite small but is in my 3’x16” tank now with more swimroom)
- Pink Streaked Wrasse
- Hector’s Goby
- Yasha Goby
- Tevegae’s Trimma Goby x2
- Griessinger’s Goby (I still have this guy in my 3’x16” nano now)
- Linear Blenny

after my first one passed I tried to add another but unfortunately the blenny was too boisterous for it and he didn’t thrive.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best option is to get something for those clowns to host and create a territory to occupy them. Then make sure the rocks are opened up enough for the wrasse and are scaped in a way to separate from the clown's territory. 15g is a small tank for the clowns not to completely dominant. They are already cryptic fish and aggressive clowns could keep them in the rocks and you may rarely see them. You also may need to spot feed areas of the rocks to get them food if the clowns cause an issue during feeding.

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best option is to get something for those clowns to host and create a territory to occupy them. Then make sure the rocks are opened up enough for the wrasse and are scaped in a way to separate from the clown's territory. 15g is a small tank for the clowns not to completely dominant. They are already cryptic fish and aggressive clowns could keep them in the rocks and you may rarely see them. You also may need to spot feed areas of the rocks to get them food if the clowns cause an issue during feeding.
Ok thanks I was planning on getting a hammer coral eventually which they may host or maybe even a bta but I am not sure yet.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added another gave using some live rock from my lfs and I am planning to add at least one more cave with some dry rock I have laying around!
image.jpg
You can always try the wrasse but just have a back up plan ready in case it doesn't work in your tank such as bringing back to the LFS. The more ins and outs you can create with rock will allow your fish to find their own preferred spits but nano tanks have very defined limits.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back