OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dip all corals that enter my tank with coral RX is that not good enough? It says on the bottle that it kills those pests. I have a melanarus wrasse in both tanks because they are cool looking and I heard they eat flat worms. does that include AEFW. Can I do a double dip one of coral RX and then one of Bayer or is that too much? I was thinking of interceptor but I am scared to use it because I heard it can kill my pod population. I s that true? Will it also kill my benneficial bacteria and snails plus all pods. Can all this death crash my tank?

Sorry for all the questions but I like to have the most up to date methods and for this thread to be helpful to others having the same problem as I.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to see if the LFS has one I could borrow. Or I might end up purchasing a seneye. Any review on the Seneye monitor?
There's a review in here comparing the seneye to the apogee and it's spot on except for the red channel and was only marginally off. The level at which red light coyirbutes is pretty minuscule from a %spectra point. They're a good monitor.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip all corals that enter my tank with coral RX is that not good enough? It says on the bottle that it kills those pests. I have a melanarus wrasse in both tanks because they are cool looking and I heard they eat flat worms. does that include AEFW. Can I do a double dip one of coral RX and then one of Bayer or is that too much? I was thinking of interceptor but I am scared to use it because I heard it can kill my pod population. I s that true? Will it also kill my benneficial bacteria and snails plus all pods. Can all this death crash my tank?

Sorry for all the questions but I like to have the most up to date methods and for this thread to be helpful to others having the same problem as I.
I use coral RX and bayer. Better safe then sorry.

Some wrasse are good at it and some are not. Some maintain the instinct and some loose it. It's really hard to say. Unless you see them chronically surveying corals and rock then they probably are just another pretty fish to have.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see them pick at the rock all the time always seeing sand come out of his gills hah. I will be working on geetting my hands on the red bug treatment. I don't know if u saw my concerns from above with the treatment but does it kill all pods and benneficial bacteria? Also are snails safe or should I take them out as well? Will my chateo die? Will all the deat occuring crash the tank?

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see them pick at the rock all the time always seeing sand come out of his gills hah. I will be working on geetting my hands on the red bug treatment. I don't know if u saw my concerns from above with the treatment but does it kill all pods and benneficial bacteria? Also are snails safe or should I take them out as well? Will my chateo die? Will all the deat occuring crash the tank?
Shouldn't crash the tank. I used tri-heart plus. My pods and snails didn't die. Definitely will not hurt the bacteria but I cannot speak to the pods. I would re-seed after. No algae will be impacted.

You should treat three times, once a week for thre weeks. Melev's reef speaks of this due to their life cycle. If treating once or twice you may miss some. Then the juveniles will end up putting you where you are again.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a big dog just say you lost you heart work pill. They replace them. That's what I did.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a big dog just say you lost you heart work pill. They replace them. That's what I did.
Triheart Plus is a different heartworm prevention than interceptor.. active ingredient is ivermectin instead of milbemycin oxime. I'd be interested to hear your experience and how you used it since that may be easier for people to obtain and use..

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triheart Plus is a different heartworm prevention than interceptor.. active ingredient is ivermectin instead of milbemycin oxime. I'd be interested to hear your experience and how you used it since that may be easier for people to obtain and use..

Yeah. I did a considerable amount of reading prior to. Let me See if I can find it all again. It worked, in a hypocrit for saying you need to do it for three weeks, but technically you do.

I had a pest of unknown origins. They looked much different than red bugs, but were crawling all over affected corals and I presumed they were something similar. Post treatment they were gone and now life is good. It was dramatic the difference in coral health.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FWIW right now they're all classed as the same family of drugs.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok so as long as I get something along those lines I should be squared away. I only need 3 pills for each tank or is it different dossages? I saw the meleves post but was confused on the dossages. Any help of dosing for a 55gallon reef and a 180gallon reef would be gladly appreciated.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW right now they're all classed as the same family of drugs.
True but a Google of ivermectin for sale, will give you a couple hits of the injectable solution for sale, at least one on amazon. I think some feed stores sell it in a paste for horses as well. Easier to administer, easier to get.
They don't behave exactly the same in dogs either, so I don't know how they would behave in our tanks.
While milbemycin is labeled for heartworm, it also takes care of 3 different intestinal worms. Ivermectin based heartworm preventions have an intestinal dewormer added, the pyrantel.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well here is another update: It is still very green. But I am two weeks into the red bug treatment and all has gone well. The coral has very little polyps but not a lot of pe during the day(havent checked at night) But when I do feed I see some of those long feeder tentacles come out. So I am wondering when I bought the coral from the store (it was the minuite they first opened I walked in the door) They were getting fed? Could that be a possibility? the thing to the right is a big green finger toadstool. Could that send sweepers out and sting it. I am pretty sure it is far enough away that the fingers cannot touch that coral. I did change my peak hour up to 50% color to add some more white to the mix.

I use Instant Ocean sea salt have never changed.Once this bucket is done I might change to fritz but not sure yet.
One gyre pump it runs 10% then 20 pulse all day and runs 10% all night With 1 session of 30% pulse.

Here is my Lighting schedule using 2 kessil ap160's and two retrofit t5 bulbs with blue bulbs(gunna replace when I have some money).

Time/Intensity/Color
11:00/10/0
13:00/50/0
15:00/80/50(peak)
17:00/80/50(peak)
19:00/35/0
20:00/0/0

T5's come on at 9:00 in the morning to 22:00

hope this helps a little bit more with my problem and help with a solution.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see some pics!

You are probably good. For corals to grow and display nice polyps they need to be healthy and growing. It can take a while for polyps to develope well.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lights are out right now but ill show some pics of it later. Should I extend my lighting peak to at least 4hrs?

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably wouldn't hurt. What's your alk and nutrients right now?

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
alk is 9.74 as of an hour or so ago
Calc is 450 as of yesterday

Nitrate last I checked was around 5-10ppmred sea test kit
Phosphate im not sure due to the fact i used some phosphate rx and have yet to test after dosing.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure your nutrients are still up if you're going to keep increasing your light since your alk is on the high end. Otherwise you should be ok.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here are the photos of it right now. You can see little polyps. I am going to test
Phosphate,alk,calc,mag,potassium,iodine. today i am going to do everything but alk and calc right now because I usually check alk and calc at night. I will post the results after I get them. I will not test iron because it is going to read zero since I already dosed it at 5 in the morning. Not that it matter right? Cause you cant test for it accurately. I am using hannah checker for alk,calc and phosphorus. Salifert for mag,the rest with red sea. I might do nitrates as well. I think this is all you guys need right? Ill do salinity too haha.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Forgot to post the photos
IMG_1011.JPG
IMG_1010.JPG
IMG_1011.JPG
IMG_1010.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back