Pipe fish compatibility

kirbuno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with dragon faced pipefish. In a community tank with non aggressive fish and fairly good flow. The flow doesn't seem to affect them much and most fish ignore or tolerate their presence, even the clowns look past them even when they chase off other fish from their area. This one I've had for a couple of years now. He's even been in a tank with an outbreak of aptasia and seemed to know how to avoid them.
This tank is fairly new as you can tell.
I've got another in quarantine to give him company soon.
b8a540bf93fa1dc09ebfa658fe7b604b.jpg

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with dragon faced pipefish. In a community tank with non aggressive fish and fairly good flow. The flow doesn't seem to affect them much and most fish ignore or tolerate their presence, even the clowns look past them even when they chase off other fish from their area. This one I've had for a couple of years now. He's even been in a tank with an outbreak of aptasia and seemed to know how to avoid them.
This tank is fairly new as you can tell.
I've got another in quarantine to give him company soon.
b8a540bf93fa1dc09ebfa658fe7b604b.jpg
What are you feeding it? Any info on male female difference?

kirbuno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding it? Any info on male female difference?
I stocked it with a three type pod pack from algae farms, and I continue to feed the pods population with powdered spirulina, they feed the pipefish. He's got so many pods in there he has no problem feeding himself. The rocks are covered with them in the evening just before lights out.
I just use a pinch measuring spoon once a day for my 120 gal. with the skimmer turned off for a half hour but in tank flow still active. The skimmer really take it out quick and smells awful, but the pods love it.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue stripes, Janss and Dragonface.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying to breed pods, currenlty feeding nauplii
I stocked it with a three type pod pack from algae farms, and I continue to feed the pods population with powdered spirulina, they feed the pipefish. He's got so many pods in there he has no problem feeding himself. The rocks are covered with them in the evening just before lights out.
I just use a pinch measuring spoon once a day for my 120 gal. with the skimmer turned off for a half hour but in tank flow still active. The skimmer really take it out quick and smells awful, but the pods love it.

kirbuno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might mention that pipefish and some blennies, like the lawnmower blenny are incompatible according to what I've read. Haven't taken the chance to try. I do have a jawfish that does fine with him.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning on mandarins, red scooter, blue stripes and banded and dragons
Might mention that pipefish and some blennies, like the lawnmower blenny are incompatible according to what I've read. Haven't taken the chance to try. I do have a jawfish that does fine with him.

kirbuno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nauplii is probably better, I'm too lazy to grow them.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back