Pipefish care?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently became the mother of 4 chain pipefish and I didn’t really expect it. I have a fully cycled aquarium for them but I have some general questions about their care. Are they okay with powerheads or should I cover them with something? How large do they get? Do they need sand? Will they eat soaked and crumbled up veggie/ tang pellets with the powerhead off or copepods or what? Are they reef safe? Are they invert compatible? Will my clowns bother them (the clowns are less than 2 inches and the pipefish are maybe 4-5 inches)? And any other info that you think brand new pipefish owners should know. Thank you!

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerheads are always a risk.

Google tells me they grow to 15 inches.

They don't need sand, but sand will grow more food for them.

They won't eat pellets. They only eat small living food, but you can train them onto frozen over time. How big is your tank? You need a huge pod population to keep them, as they eat all day and can't store food. 4 pipefish could eliminate your pod population in no time if the tank is too small. You can also hatch brine shrimp eggs for them, @Paul B designed a brine shrimp feeder.

They are reef safe now, but they might eat small shrimp if they get to 15 inches.

They should be fine with clowns.

OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerheads are always a risk.

Google tells me they grow to 15 inches.

They don't need sand, but sand will grow more food for them.
Thank you! I will look into the brine shrimp hatchery. I’m gonna go to my lfs and buy a bunch of brine shrimp to hold them over until the hatchery gets built and tested
They won't eat pellets. They only eat small living food, but you can train them onto frozen over time. How big is your tank? You need a huge pod population to keep them, as they eat all day and can't store food. 4 pipefish could eliminate your pod population in no time if the tank is too small. You can also hatch brine shrimp eggs for them, @Paul B designed a brine shrimp feeder.

They are reef safe now, but they might eat small shrimp if they get to 15 inches.

They should be fine with clowns.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back