Plan for Brook treatment. Please check

Rollins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
My 150gal has Brook and Uronema. I know once a tank had Uronema it will always have it, so I am mainly concerned with brook treatment and keeping my 150 without fish for at least 45 days. Please check out my game plan and all advise is greatly appreciated!

1. Just setup a 66 gal Qt “Sterile”. I’m confused as my bio wheel is seeded by my infected main tank??? Doesn’t sound sterile that way? I have not put the bio- wheel in the QT tank yet.

2. Remove all fish and dip in formalin 37% that just arrived from Amazon.

3. Put all fish in QT tank for at least 45 days, and medicate with Metroplex.

4. After 45+ days in QT, re-dip in Formalin
37% and put all dis back in display.

Thanks All! Ryan

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
My 150gal has Brook and Uronema. I know once a tank had Uronema it will always have it, so I am mainly concerned with brook treatment and keeping my 150 without fish for at least 45 days. Please check out my game plan and all advise is greatly appreciated!

1. Just setup a 66 gal Qt “Sterile”. I’m confused as my bio wheel is seeded by my infected main tank??? Doesn’t sound sterile that way? I have not put the bio- wheel in the QT tank yet.

2. Remove all fish and dip in formalin 37% that just arrived from Amazon.

3. Put all fish in QT tank for at least 45 days, and medicate with Metroplex.

4. After 45+ days in QT, re-dip in Formalin
37% and put all dis back in display.

Thanks All! Ryan
No worries about moving the bio wheel over - your fish are already going to carry the disease into the QT…and you need the biofiltration.
You can’t dip the fish in straight formalin. Do you know the dose you want to use? I would opt for 75 ppm for an hour with good aeration. The formula is: 75 x gallons of water divided by 266 to give milliliters of formalin to use.
I’d skip the metroplex but it won’t hurt.
I don’t think you need that final dip.
Jay

OP
OP
Rollins

Rollins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish List if it matters.
5 Anthias
Clownfish
Gobies, spotted, clown, rainford
Blenny
2 mandarin gobies
Spotted Jawfish
Chromis
Hawkfish

OP
OP
Rollins

Rollins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes straight formalin would be bad. I have learned a lot from you Jay and Humblefish! Thank you! I still do not understand fully. If my QT is infected from my bio- wheel, isn’t it a possibility that brook can travel thru the water column and re-infect the fish? That’s why I assumed a second dip would be necessary just before putting back in my display.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes straight formalin would be bad. I have learned a lot from you Jay and Humblefish! Thank you! I still do not understand fully. If my QT is infected from my bio- wheel, isn’t it a possibility that brook can travel thru the water column and re-infect the fish? That’s why I assumed a second dip would be necessary just before putting back in my display.
Follow Jay's dip to treatment. Dip first then treat. Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work but both are formalin based with Ruby also containing acraflavine

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never rely on a dip to be 100% effective. You should also treat the QT itself, and that is why moving the bio media isn’t an issue. If you don’t move the bio media, you’ll need to manage the ammonia through some other means.
Jay

OP
OP
Rollins

Rollins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so dip and then go through full 2021 Quarantine Procedure.
Is that correct?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so dip and then go through full 2021 Quarantine Procedure.
Is that correct?

I'm sorry, I may have confused things for you here. Our posted quarantine process is what we feel is the best for new fish, but it is NOT very effective against active Brooklynella infections. What I meant by dip and then treat, was to give the fish a 75 ppm formalin dip, then move them to the QT and start dosing that with 25 ppm formalin daily (with good aeration). This works out to be 0.94 ml of formalin per 10 gallons of tank volume.

Here is a thought - you could also "dip" you biowheel moving it over, to keep it as disease free as the fish are, but not killing off the beneficial bacteria.

Jay

OP
OP
Rollins

Rollins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay. Dip went well. Now I am dosing my qt with 25 ppm formalin daily. My water is getting really cloudy, is this normal with formalin? I did plan on weekly water changes just to help bio-wheel with filtration . Thank you!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay. Dip went well. Now I am dosing my qt with 25 ppm formalin daily. My water is getting really cloudy, is this normal with formalin? I did plan on weekly water changes just to help bio-wheel with filtration . Thank you!
Yes, the methanol preservative in formalin serves as a food for heterotrophic bacteria which then can bloom and cause cloudy water, just be sure to aerate the water well with an air stone.
Jay

Back