Planning phase

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefer2B and welcome!! What kind of info are you looking for? Product recommendations or what you need to get started? I'm new here myself and find the advice, info and community at large to be super helpful. How large of a tank do you plan to build and have you started acquiring equipment yet? One of the most invaluable lessons I learned from my 75 gallon was to be sure and have a quarantine tank that is fully cycled and dedicated to housing new tank inhabitants, the first time I set this up I made the rookie mistakes of adding too many fish too soon and not knowing what I didn't know.

Looking forward to watching your build and learning from you!!

OP
OP
Reefer2B

Reefer2B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefer2B and welcome!! What kind of info are you looking for? Product recommendations or what you need to get started? I'm new here myself and find the advice, info and community at large to be super helpful. How large of a tank do you plan to build and have you started acquiring equipment yet? One of the most invaluable lessons I learned from my 75 gallon was to be sure and have a quarantine tank that is fully cycled and dedicated to housing new tank inhabitants, the first time I set this up I made the rookie mistakes of adding too many fish too soon and not knowing what I didn't know.

Looking forward to watching your build and learning from you!!
Hi Susan ,
We havent started purchasing equipment yet. We plan to start purchasing this January or before. Our home building was delayed due to a Covid closings and slow downs and they just began. We should be moved in and settled by then. We are thinking about a 100 gallon setup however that depends upon where we decide to place it . Do you know if the 75-100 gallon stand setups have enough room below for an adequate sump? How loud they are in a family room ? There is one wall I could use which will be the same wall the tv will be mounted and plumb into a closet behind it but I would rather not have to go that route . The other wall will be where most of the traffic to and bedrooms will be . I’ve been looking over blueprints trying to figure out the best location. It could be freestanding (like with waterbox peninsula is) In which I need to have the builder put an outlet in the floor. I will attach some photos and see what you think. I was also just thinking about quarantine tank and placement of it . What size do you recommend ? We will have room for it in laundry room along with a place to store water. We Also have to figure out rodi system. Once we figure out Best placement and size We can start getting together our list of equipment that’s needed . I would like to have a goal of some fish And possibly some corals in the tank by June .

B149A139-B9E8-47FA-80E7-665C0F15C2BC.jpeg 1F2C19DB-8FB8-4AD2-9982-D672AE64239E.jpeg 741C4493-E792-49A0-BDF1-0AB5DFA809D2.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Planning is best plan of attack. Contributes greatly to success of the system.

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VERY COOL!!!! I personally like the idea of a peninsula tank, I just really love the look and how they can be used to define a space. I am sure you can find a setup that will work and meet your needs. One thing I've learned is to have kind of a wish list of what livestock would be in your dream tank and build a system out that will meet those needs, especially if you are interested in corals as that will define the lighting requirements of your system. I use a couple of the online sites to research the corals & fish I am interested in to make sure they will get along and that the water parameters are compatible. (It is important to recognize which of your new friends could destroy the others). I am in the process of setting up a 185 and have decided that I definitely want to have some LPS as they are easier to care for and meet the look I am going for.

A Quarantine Tank is essential (I found out the hard way). I have heard that 40 gallon QT are what many people use, but I am not an expert there. Someone will definitely chime in on that one.

Hope some of that helps. Can't wait for updates on the progress of the tanks and of the house!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
if the new house has a basement you could put the sump there and plumb through the floor.
personally any low level pump noise after a short time becomes background noise, with all the other house background noise, and goes unnoticed.
guessing you have room for only a 4' long tank. don't be afraid to go tall.
a 110 tall is 48x18x30. a 150 tall is 48x24x30.

a lot of "essentials" aren't. there are other ways to do things and be successful.
skimmers, algae scrubbers, canisters, under gravel filters, auto water top off, auto dosing, manual everything, quarantine tank, no quarantine, live/dry rock, no live/dry rock....
you can be successful with any of the above.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back