Planted aquarium

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stumbled upon my c02 regulator and and now I picked up a 10 gallon cube.... anyone have any planted tanks going to get back into the neocardinia shrimp. So if you got em let’s see em! Also if you have experience in planted tanks. Have you ever ran pool filter sand as a substrate? I knows it’s pretty inert so I’ll be adding root tabs

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it once just due to the availability and low cost....I had to use a lot of root fertilizers though obviously...but it worked. Here is the only pic I have with me of my last planted tank......

CurrentPic.JPG

OP
OP
brad shawn

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it once just due to the availability and low cost....I had to use a lot of root fertilizers though obviously...but it worked. Here is the only pic I have with me of my last planted tank......

CurrentPic.JPG
Looks good! Yea my only issue with that planted tank substrate is that it’s so darn light and I kept getting plants floating up. So I’m either going to mix it with sand or cap it with sand

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! Yea my only issue with that planted tank substrate is that it’s so darn light and I kept getting plants floating up. So I’m either going to mix it with sand or cap it with sand
A lot of people have that issue.....for whatever reason my plants all stayed put. You just have to get them to start rooting then you are fine. Have you thought about doing a dry start just to give the plants a head start?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used flourite underneath my play sand. The amount of iron i was dosing for my swords without got a little extreme. If keep on to plants with runners like mosses, crypts etc its possible to do less maintenance with only sand.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheating method for plants that want to pop up. Start as emerged in a seedling tray. Some are even super cheap if start as seeds or bulbs this way. Use small aquaponics net cases few inches of water and a full spectrum cfl bulb. Tranplant when the roots are well developed.

OP
OP
brad shawn

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people have that issue.....for whatever reason my plants all stayed put. You just have to get them to start rooting then you are fine. Have you thought about doing a dry start just to give the plants a head start?
Yes I was thinking about that go at least get a carpet going

Arthurfarris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of them are great for use as aquarium substrates. If you want to place live plants in your tank, filter sand is a better planting medium as it allows the roots to hold on better. Some use recycled glass as the aggregate material, which means that they will tear up the insides of the fish when they swallow them. It is best to get natural pool filter sand as they are not as jagged as glass.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back