Planted Tank with Seahorses

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just bought from these guys and I'm very happy with what I received! Not sure where your gonna source your horses but this company is up near you and they are a plethora of information. I've never seen wood in a sea horse tank. I will be enjoying the show

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just bought from these guys and I'm very happy with what I received! Not sure where your gonna source your horses but this company is up near you and they are a plethora of information. I've never seen wood in a sea horse tank. I will be enjoying the show
I love this vendor! Just purchased from them for the first time. Everything was gorgeous, packed well, and unique! I didn't by seahorses, though.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this vendor! Just purchased from them for the first time. Everything was gorgeous, packed well, and unique! I didn't by seahorses, though.
Me neither just gragonians snails hermits star and a fan. But they have the encrusting gragonians I had over 10 years ago I have been searching for. Hurricane Irma killed an old tank of mine (I still haven't recovered mentally from the loss of the mated mandarins {they were amazing when they would "dance" together in the water colum}) I was very happy with my purchase I got today. Not as big as I would get from kp aquatics but she's also not going out on the boat and getting these. They are beautiful and opened minutes after they were put in the tank even though the tank itself was not real happy since I just had a heater malfunction this morning all the anemones are spitting out gook and the skimmer is going crazy trying to clean it all up but the gorgonians are happy as can be.

OP
OP
minorhero

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you! I am definitely planning to buy from seahorse savvy. Like you said they are near me, near enough I might not have to pay for shipping as apparently they sometimes do drop-offs at BWI airport which is minutes from my house. Plus they have a great reputation online.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me neither just gragonians snails hermits star and a fan. But they have the encrusting gragonians I had over 10 years ago I have been searching for. Hurricane Irma killed an old tank of mine (I still haven't recovered mentally from the loss of the mated mandarins {they were amazing when they would "dance" together in the water colum}) I was very happy with my purchase I got today. Not as big as I would get from kp aquatics but she's also not going out on the boat and getting these. They are beautiful and opened minutes after they were put in the tank even though the tank itself was not real happy since I just had a heater malfunction this morning all the anemones are spitting out gook and the skimmer is going crazy trying to clean it all up but the gorgonian are happy as can be.
Thank you! I am definitely planning to buy from seahorse savvy. Like you said they are near me, near enough I might not have to pay for shipping as apparently they sometimes do drop-offs at BWI airport which is minutes from my house. Plus they have a great reputation online.
I would talk to her, I bet she would let you go to their facility and pick her brain. People in the saltwater community live to share

OP
OP
minorhero

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me neither just gragonians snails hermits star and a fan. But they have the encrusting gragonians I had over 10 years ago I have been searching for. Hurricane Irma killed an old tank of mine (I still haven't recovered mentally from the loss of the mated mandarins {they were amazing when they would "dance" together in the water colum}) I was very happy with my purchase I got today. Not as big as I would get from kp aquatics but she's also not going out on the boat and getting these. They are beautiful and opened minutes after they were put in the tank even though the tank itself was not real happy since I just had a heater malfunction this morning all the anemones are spitting out gook and the skimmer is going crazy trying to clean it all up but the gorgonian are happy as can be.

I would talk to her, I bet she would let you go to their facility and pick her brain. People in the saltwater community live to share

She has a Facebook group I am a member of and can be reached through that. I think her facility is biosecure and they don't do tours, or at least that is what they say on their website.

I am definitely laying all groundwork for keeping the seahorses themselves right now, but I am still 1.5+ months away from getting them at a minimum. Hopefully in the next 1 to 2 weeks I can start adding my first few members of the clean up crew. Will start with a couple of hermits and snails.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She has a Facebook group I am a member of and can be reached through that. I think her facility is biosecure and they don't do tours, or at least that is what they say on their website.

I am definitely laying all groundwork for keeping the seahorses themselves right now, but I am still 1.5+ months away from getting them at a minimum. Hopefully in the next 1 to 2 weeks I can start adding my first few members of the clean up crew. Will start with a couple of hermits and snails.
I would call the number and talk to her. she was really nice when I called to get sat delivery. I know everything is remote now since covid but I do really enjoy going and learning from the masters. Kp aquatics has a great little facility. I brought the kids and all our kids ran around together then we went and had lunch out was so much fun! I wasn't too go back down again in the next year or so.

OP
OP
minorhero

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call the number and talk to her. she was really nice when I called to get sat delivery. I know everything is remote now since covid but I do really enjoy going and learning from the masters. Kp aquatics has a great little facility. I brought the kids and all our kids ran around together then we went and had lunch out was so much fun! I wasn't too go back down again in the next year or so.

It would certainly be fun! I will definitely keep it in mind as I get closer.

Right now I am trying to decide if I should order a handful of cleanup crew from her at a time, or if I can use my local fish store for that. So for instance, once I am cycled I will buy 2 or 3 hermit crabs and as many snails. Then a few weeks later probably do as much again. Not a great order for shipping or special pickup. So is it worth it to just buy those at my local fish store or are these guys prone to disease?

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would certainly be fun! I will definitely keep it in mind as I get closer.

Right now I am trying to decide if I should order a handful of cleanup crew from her at a time, or if I can use my local fish store for that. So for instance, once I am cycled I will buy 2 or 3 hermit crabs and as many snails. Then a few weeks later probably do as much again. Not a great order for shipping or special pickup. So is it worth it to just buy those at my local fish store or are these guys prone to disease?
Make sure you buy from a reputable place my store down here just had snails and hermits come in with something on them that killed all the fish in the store they have been my go to place for years and never had a problem and I have more than 6 places to choose from in a 12 mile radius

OP
OP
minorhero

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you buy from a reputable place my store down here just had snails and hermits come in with something on them that killed all the fish in the store they have been my go to place for years and never had a problem and I have more than 6 places to choose from in a 12 mile radius

Gotcha, heh looks like I get to hunt a bit or bite the bullet and buy small quantities online.

OP
OP
minorhero

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

Its been almost 2 weeks since I started cycling the tank. I have dumped several different bottled bacteria products into the tank during that time... :p

Anyway I have been watching the grass pretty closely and frankly it was not looking good. There was definitely some dieback and I lost probably 5-10% of the blades altogether. This dieback has been the major source of ammonia in the tank for at least the last 7 days. I was redosing with ammonia before that to bring it back to 2ppm each night, but I decided to stop a week ago. It quickly dropped to .5 ppm and then went up to 1ppm and then 2ppm on its own. After a while it went back down and stabilized at .5ppm where its been for the last several days.

So while the cycling process seemed to be doing its thing I continued to be more worried about the grass. I did a lot of second guessing myself. If this were a freshwater tank I would think that this was either normal adjustment period or the grass came in sick. I was by no means as certain for saltwater though.

So today I decided to go in a cut back and remove the dead parts. While trimming I noticed at least 2 stalks that have new growth on them! So huzzah! I didn't murder all the grass, and this really is probably the normal adjustment period like I would expect with freshwater.

Meanwhile a word on test kits. I started this tank with the Seachem Ammonia test kit. Its a VERY different test kit then others I have used. Unfortunately its absolutely worthless garbage. The reason being that the test kit measurement card ranges in color from yellow to green to blue. BUT the actual sensor disk they supply is in shades of purple. And no, that doesn't mean its outside its testing range. They supply you with calibration fluid and that was purple as well. So a user of their test kit gets the wonderful task of trying to figure out what shade of purple corresponds to what shade of blue...

Anyway I ditched their test kit and bought an API ammonia test kit because I was familiar with them from my freshwater tanks. (Apparently its the same test, so I didn't really need to buy a new kit) BUT I grew suspicious of it and bought a Salifert Ammonia test kit as well. I just got in the Salifert today and when I tested the tank it came back as 0 ammonia. Whereas the API is still showing .5

There is a saying about a man with 2 watches never knowing the time....

Anyway I am either very near the end of my cycle or I have no idea what is happening. ;P

Picture of the current state of affairs.

fffRQmI.jpg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

Its been almost 2 weeks since I started cycling the tank. I have dumped several different bottled bacteria products into the tank during that time... :p

Anyway I have been watching the grass pretty closely and frankly it was not looking good. There was definitely some dieback and I lost probably 5-10% of the blades altogether. This dieback has been the major source of ammonia in the tank for at least the last 7 days. I was redosing with ammonia before that to bring it back to 2ppm each night, but I decided to stop a week ago. It quickly dropped to .5 ppm and then went up to 1ppm and then 2ppm on its own. After a while it went back down and stabilized at .5ppm where its been for the last several days.

So while the cycling process seemed to be doing its thing I continued to be more worried about the grass. I did a lot of second guessing myself. If this were a freshwater tank I would think that this was either normal adjustment period or the grass came in sick. I was by no means as certain for saltwater though.

So today I decided to go in a cut back and remove the dead parts. While trimming I noticed at least 2 stalks that have new growth on them! So huzzah! I didn't murder all the grass, and this really is probably the normal adjustment period like I would expect with freshwater.

Meanwhile a word on test kits. I started this tank with the Seachem Ammonia test kit. Its a VERY different test kit then others I have used. Unfortunately its absolutely worthless garbage. The reason being that the test kit measurement card ranges in color from yellow to green to blue. BUT the actual sensor disk they supply is in shades of purple. And no, that doesn't mean its outside its testing range. They supply you with calibration fluid and that was purple as well. So a user of their test kit gets the wonderful task of trying to figure out what shade of purple corresponds to what shade of blue...

Anyway I ditched their test kit and bought an API ammonia test kit because I was familiar with them from my freshwater tanks. (Apparently its the same test, so I didn't really need to buy a new kit) BUT I grew suspicious of it and bought a Salifert Ammonia test kit as well. I just got in the Salifert today and when I tested the tank it came back as 0 ammonia. Whereas the API is still showing .5

Anyway I am either very near the end of my cycle or I have no idea what is happening. ;P

fffRQmI.jpg
The Salifer is probably the worst test kit for ammonia on the market imo, it looks like the diatoms stage is about to start and you will see a brown dusting covering the tank, this is normal in marines but you will have to probably keep dusting the leaves of the seagrass.
Looking good though

OP
OP
minorhero

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Salifer is probably the worst test kit for ammonia on the market imo, it looks like the diatoms stage is about to start and you will see a brown dusting covering the tank, this is normal in marines but you will have to probably keep dusting the leaves of the seagrass.
Looking good though

Which test do you recommend for ammonia?

I am getting some dark gray/black stuff on the sand on the left side of the tank. Not sure what that is, cyno? (I've heard it comes in different colors in saltwater compared to fresh).

KGqiBeH.jpg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which test do you recommend for ammonia?

I am getting some dark gray/black stuff on the sand on the left side of the tank. Not sure what that is, cyno? (I've heard it comes in different colors in saltwater compared to fresh).

KGqiBeH.jpg
The api is good, only the ammonia salifer is no good all the other ones are fine.

did you used aragonite sand? It looks it could be sulphur or Cyanobacteria. It also looks a bit strange that on the corner the sand doesn’t look wet all the way down.

OP
OP
minorhero

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The api is good, only the ammonia salifer is no good all the other ones are fine.

did you used aragonite sand? It looks it could be sulphur or Cyanobacteria. It also looks a bit strange that on the corner the sand doesn’t look wet all the way down.

I have different sands in the tank. Its a mix of pool filter sand and aragonite.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found macro algae never looks good all the time, I've never used anything sand but what is made for reef tanks. I would be concerned about silicates using anything else. You are cycling your tank with all that sea grass in there? I would be concerned about it competing with the tank trying to cycle. The sea grass is gonna slow down your cycle. Same with algae scrubbers you want to finish your cycle before you install it. To cycle I put in my rock and sand and leave the lights out and let it roll with whatever bacteria I'm using for a couple of weeks before I add anything. If you rush it, it will suck later.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your plan for feeding? Do you have a Brine Shrimp set up, the stuff to "gut load"? I was gonna do dwarf seahorses for my daughter but realistically there were too many potential pitfalls, and I hatch Brine Shrimp usually weekly for my 2 reef tanks. I have been in reefing since 2008, I don't want to discourage you but definitely don't think it will respond like a planted freshwater tank. Give yourself enough time for the tank to mature before adding stuff.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

fffRQmI.jpg
What kind of rock is that? It looks like rock for a fresh water tank. Have you tested for nitrate to see if it is being converted? Also with Rock and trees (I'm not sure about source or if it's for saltwater tanks or not) not typically used in saltwater aquariums I would test for phosphates as well to make sure it's not leaking anything into your water.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back