platygyra care

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine seem to do well under almost any lighting conditions. I start them off on the bottom and then gradually move them up until they seem happy. All of mine are approximately half way up to the top third of the tank under LED that is run high on blue and UV channels and fairly lowish on white channels. I feed mine 2x per week with coral frenzy and reef chili combined. All pumps off, slobber food all over them, you'll see them draw in what they can. Some really nice colors out there now. I think I have five platys now - all are growing pretty quickly. Some of mine have really nice polyp extension in the evenings - makes feeding easy!

What color did you get?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first platy from wwc too. The feeders are out a lot, it’s pretty wild looking. I’ve not target fed it yet and it’s on the sand bed for now.

OP
OP
Everything Aquatics

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine seem to do well under almost any lighting conditions. I start them off on the bottom and then gradually move them up until they seem happy. All of mine are approximately half way up to the top third of the tank under LED that is run high on blue and UV channels and fairly lowish on white channels. I feed mine 2x per week with coral frenzy and reef chili combined. All pumps off, slobber food all over them, you'll see them draw in what they can. Some really nice colors out there now. I think I have five platys now - all are growing pretty quickly. Some of mine have really nice polyp extension in the evenings - makes feeding easy!

What color did you get?

I got a bicolor one, thanks for the suggestion

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure, but I suspect a lot of what is sold as platygyra may be other genera like Oulophyllia or species of Favia. Look at how high the ridges separating the corallites are, for example, on the 'platy' in my profile photo. One of those garbage-can taxa where everything that looks like a maze is thrown. Anyhow - got pics?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They live on the sandy bottom of reefs and some lagoons. Lower light and lower flow ….. and keep them away from other corals. Mine has almost doubled in size in about 18 months (and a couple of bare spots have filled in).

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just got one in a world wide corals box. Any care tips
I have one that is about two months old. It’s on the bottom of the tank on its own rock in about 120 PAR. It’s starting to put on new growth. Salinity 35, nitrate ~2, phosphate 0, alkalinity 10.3, calcium 425, magnesium 1,400.

OP
OP
Everything Aquatics

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure, but I suspect a lot of what is sold as platygyra may be other genera like Oulophyllia or species of Favia. Look at how high the ridges separating the corallites are, for example, on the 'platy' in my profile photo. One of those garbage-can taxa where everything that looks like a maze is thrown. Anyhow - got pics?
8B8362A3-51F1-4C0D-8A54-D30D4AC60512.jpeg

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool looking coral! Nice score - or was this what WWC threw in as a freebie?

What I have done to encourage mine to get that nice rounded classic brain coral look is to cut the base off of the plug and glue some small pieces of rubble around the sides and kind of make it look rounded. Sometimes I use a spare frag plug as a form and use 2-part epoxy to make a nice hemispherical form and then glue the frag plug into the space I have left for it. I have a couple that are growing nicely over this rounded scaffolding and will really start having that classic brain look in a few more months. All of mine have more than doubled in size in the past 2-3 months, but I have one in particular from WWC (I think they called it a 'fried circuit' or something like that) that is growing even more rapidly than that. But I do feed them and give them as much light as they'll take - and they seem to take quite a lot in my tank.

OP
OP
Everything Aquatics

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool looking coral! Nice score - or was this what WWC threw in as a freebie?

What I have done to encourage mine to get that nice rounded classic brain coral look is to cut the base off of the plug and glue some small pieces of rubble around the sides and kind of make it look rounded. Sometimes I use a spare frag plug as a form and use 2-part epoxy to make a nice hemispherical form and then glue the frag plug into the space I have left for it. I have a couple that are growing nicely over this rounded scaffolding and will really start having that classic brain look in a few more months. All of mine have more than doubled in size in the past 2-3 months, but I have one in particular from WWC (I think they called it a 'fried circuit' or something like that) that is growing even more rapidly than that. But I do feed them and give them as much light as they'll take - and they seem to take quite a lot in my tank.

ok I’ll definitely try that out

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently trying to build a "platy garden" - here are some growth pics. This is Feb 2020 - July 2020. To a point made earlier, I'm not sure that everything that is sold as a platygyra is indeed from that genus. The green/pink one in the middle I'm pretty sure is NOT a platy, but it has the look I'm going for, so no matter.

I feed ReefChili when I remember. I add CoralAmino on occasion. But other than that I don't really do much but leave them alone. I think this could be a pretty cool look once it all grows in.

IMG_2930.JPG IMG_3998 (2).jpg

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently trying to build a "platy garden" - here are some growth pics. This is Feb 2020 - July 2020. To a point made earlier, I'm not sure that everything that is sold as a platygyra is indeed from that genus. The green/pink one in the middle I'm pretty sure is NOT a platy, but it has the look I'm going for, so no matter.

I feed ReefChili when I remember. I add CoralAmino on occasion. But other than that I don't really do much but leave them alone. I think this could be a pretty cool look once it all grows in.

IMG_2930.JPG IMG_3998 (2).jpg
Saw someone gave me a thumbs-up on an old post. Thought I’d update for those interested. Here’s the same rock + 1 more year of growth

B55EB58A-EDC9-4FC2-86B8-BF5CCE676D9B.jpeg
B55EB58A-EDC9-4FC2-86B8-BF5CCE676D9B.jpeg

fishkeepersaltnfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first platygyra yesterday. Your coral growth looks good. I tried feeding mysis shrimp today, but it did not eat. They were just stuck to its tentacles.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first platygyra yesterday. Your coral growth looks good. I tried feeding mysis shrimp today, but it did not eat. They were just stuck to its tentacles.
On very rare occasion I’ll feed reef chili, but only if I’m up in the middle of the night when all the lights have been out for a few hours. Other than that, I don’t feed any of my corals anything. I don’t stand firmly on a side of whether or not you should, I just don’t have the time or discipline to do it. I used to, but now I don’t, and I haven’t seen a noticeable difference.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must just have a cursed tank. I can grow acans alright, but platys and favia never seem to last. After my 4th or 5th dead platy I just stopped trying. Shame, because they seem like really neat corals and I love the colors they get.

I've had them in the sand, on low rocks, on high rocks. I've tried feeding, not feeding. Low flow, high flow, medium flow. Doesn't matter what I do, within 2-3 months they're dead.

fishkeepersaltnfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On very rare occasion I’ll feed reef chili, but only if I’m up in the middle of the night when all the lights have been out for a few hours. Other than that, I don’t feed any of my corals anything. I don’t stand firmly on a side of whether or not you should, I just don’t have the time or discipline to do it. I used to, but now I don’t, and I haven’t seen a noticeable difference.
I am usually able to feed Acans, Duncan & Candycane during daytime. I was even able to feed war coral becuase its tentacles are always out. I feed like once in 3 weeks....

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a photo of my platygyra It has been in my system for a few years and is doing well living on the substrate i add pe mysis shrimp and all the inhabitants of my tank seem to love it.

Attachments

• AC5E26CE-26F5-40C4-A5E1-56300F1D1296.jpeg
    AC5E26CE-26F5-40C4-A5E1-56300F1D1296.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 118
  • C29505C3-A1FE-4471-80B8-4910F3833081.jpeg
    C29505C3-A1FE-4471-80B8-4910F3833081.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 125

fishkeepersaltnfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a photo of my platygyra It has been in my system for a few years and is doing well living on the substrate i add pe mysis shrimp and all the inhabitants of my tank seem to love it.
Your platygyra looks great. I have a bare bottom tank. Maybe I will leave it on the bottom. I got Electric Platygyra for myself.

Attachments

• Electric Platygra 2021-10-27.jpg
    Electric Platygra 2021-10-27.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Electric Platygyra 2021-10-26.jpeg
    Electric Platygyra 2021-10-26.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 91
Back