Please Help Diagnose Clownfish!

HeartRNChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! New marine hobbyist here. Decided to become a member of this fantastic community finally. Today is the day I finally post, because one of my clowns has a strange lesion that I would love help identifying and treating.

Unfortunately he came to me like this. My LFS is dimly lit (read: moody) and I did not see this lesion before bringing the little guy home. I have a 32g with only two "nano" clowns for the moment. Water parameters perfect.

One of the clowns seems to have a strange circular lesion in his left gill. It protrudes, distorting his face from straight on.
He also has a red coloration to the fin on the same side as the gill lesion.
Over a few days of monitoring, he does not seem to be in any distress. Eating well, swimming with his tank mate.
To my eyes, the lesion seems to be getting worse.

Could anyone help identify what has infected my little dude? Would love him to live a beautiful, long and healthy life.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0501.jpeg
IMG_0500.jpeg
IMG_0498.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The lesion is difficult to see (I know getting good photos is tough). It is unlikely to be a parasite, and so is probably bacterial. In some cases, fish resolve these on their own, but you think it could be getting larger. The typical treatment is with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank, but I don’t suppose you have a tank to use...

What is the ammonia level and other than the 2 clowns, what else is in the tank?

Jay

OP
OP
H

HeartRNChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response, will look into a good treatment product. Would you have a recommended brand? There are so many out there nowadays. Yes, getting photos was very difficult, its taken me literally DAYS.
I do not have a treatment tank set up, I'll have to find a place to set one up. Ammonia is at 0, and other than the two clowns the tank is empty, these are the first life in my tank.

Chris

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As Jay is working with you on this, How long has tank been running ?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet?
What test kit(s) are you using?
How did your acclimate/introduce the fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response, will look into a good treatment product. Would you have a recommended brand? There are so many out there nowadays. Yes, getting photos was very difficult, its taken me literally DAYS.
I do not have a treatment tank set up, I'll have to find a place to set one up. Ammonia is at 0, and other than the two clowns the tank is empty, these are the first life in my tank.

Chris
Ok, since there is nothing else in there, you could dose the tank directly with an antibiotic. In this case, I would suggest Neoplex or Maracyn 2.
That said, remember that new fish can sometimes develop multiple problems, so you need to keep an eye out for other symptoms.
Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back