PLEASE help. Dogface puffer not eating!!

KeithR423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1 year old Dogface puffer that hasn't ate in almost 6 weeks. He is still swimming around some but is just laying on the rocks most of the time. He always ate silversides daily before this started. He would also eat mysis shrimp and flake. I've had him since it was just weeks old. By himself in a 75 gallon tank with live rock and sand. All water parameters are at close to nearly perfect. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 40 nitrate, 8.1 ph, 1.024 salt, 76.9 temp, 8 dkh, 400 calcium, 0 phosphate. I have tried all the foods listed above. Any help you would give would be deeply appreciated. I don't want to lose my little buddy but I'm getting real scared.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that, if it's been 6 weeks it's just a matter of time before he dies, surprised he lasted this long, maybe he's got some kind of infection or something. No signs of parasites?

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your puffer :(. Have you tried live food to entice him to eat? Like black worms or baby bribe shrimp. Have you noticed any other symptoms besides him lying on his side?

Heliarc19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to throw some rose minnows or goldfish in with mine sometimes, hope he pulls through they are one of my favorite

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about dogface puffers but I have had fish go off feeding when my nitrates got that high, anything above 30 seem to be the sign for me. so getting your nitrates down may be a good starting point. My 1st instincts would have been some sort of internal parasites, but having him for a year it seems like that would have shown up way before now; of course unless he has been eating live food or a new addition. How does his eyes look, any strange activity you can think up; head shaking, flashing, ?. Stringy poo or pinched belly?

OP
OP
K

KeithR423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No signs of anything unusual. He looks healthy as ever. I have been treating the tank with Paraguard just to make sure for the past week. I'm going to try some clams and black worms today if I can find the worms.... The only change in the tank in the last several months was a good site breakout in cyno bacteria a few weeks back. I manually removed that and did a water change immediately after.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffer's appetites are so voracious they sometimes ingest something that can block them up, this of course is not good either. Paraguard is a good decision, I was also going to suggest prazi pro as it is my go to when a new fish isn't eating. A little stumped because he's been in the tank for a while with no noticeable signs of anything unusually. Puffers normally don't pass up a meal.

*my puffer's favs are clams on the half shell, scallops, and krill.

Last edited:

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try adding magnesium to the water. that can help with passing something.

How are his teeth? I've had them go on hunger strikes when their teeth are getting too long.

I have also had porcupines stop eating for a month and be just fine once they have started eating again.

Billdejean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened? My dog puffer is a foot long and hasn’t eaten in 6 weeks. Looks fine. Used Epsom salts etc. lost weight

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dogface puffer who is now doing similar behavior. He is about 6 inches long , have had him over a year and he always ate like a pig. He just looks at the food

Attachments

• 16083338265278304806610851765250.jpg
    16083338265278304806610851765250.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 98

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dogface puffer who is now doing similar behavior. He is about 6 inches long , have had him over a year and he always ate like a pig. He just looks at the food

Anyone in the tank picking on him? Any new additions that could have brought in internal parasites. If a digestion issue the easiest remedy is just to bring the mg to the 1400ppm range.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't added any fish in over a year , I don't notice anyone picking on him . His tank mates are a Sailfin Tang , Picasso Trigger , Bicolor Angel , Flame Hawkfish

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't added any fish in over a year , I don't notice anyone picking on him . His tank mates are a Sailfin Tang , Picasso Trigger , Bicolor Angel , Flame Hawkfish

What have you been feeding, maybe find something that may peak his interest. Clams or scallops on the half shell. I guess I have to ask, but I always assume people check their water quality. Any of his tank mates could be sneaky and picking on him, and df puffers can be pouty. Other reasons that a fish just goes off of feeding for no apparent reason can be serious and unknown but sometimes include exposure to copper, antibiotics, and/or tank cleaners among other things

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on the dogface's condition from OP?

That's my favorite fish, but they are definitely prone to eat something they can't digest and in severe cases, they will slowly starve to death.

I had a dogface eat the tips off a silicone rubber anemone. I didn't know any better at the time and didn't notice until he'd consumed almost all of them. Obviously he couldn't digest the silicone and looked fat and healthy. It wasn't until after he died and I found handfuls of silicone bits floating on the surface that I figured out what happened.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not a dogface, I had a porcupine that had similar behaviour. Basically one day it stopped eating. The issue with my was lockjaw. Porcupines are more susceptible to it than others, but they lose the ability to open their mouths.

When it first starts, the puffer attacks food, but just kinda smashes it's mouth into it, but doesn't bite. It then kind of gets upset and swims away. On the next feeding, it will try again, and then get more and more discouraged until it just refuses to even try to eat anymore.

The first time this happened, I managed to rescue it by grabbing ahold of it, and using a turkey baster to shoot finely ground food into the gap in it's teeth. Eventually it healed and was able to eat again. The second time, nothing worked, and it died. Supposedly this was caused by eating too much krill. Not sure how true that was, but that was the wisdom at the time.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not a dogface, I had a porcupine that had similar behaviour. Basically one day it stopped eating. The issue with my was lockjaw. Porcupines are more susceptible to it than others, but they lose the ability to open their mouths.

When it first starts, the puffer attacks food, but just kinda smashes it's mouth into it, but doesn't bite. It then kind of gets upset and swims away. On the next feeding, it will try again, and then get more and more discouraged until it just refuses to even try to eat anymore.

The first time this happened, I managed to rescue it by grabbing ahold of it, and using a turkey baster to shoot finely ground food into the gap in it's teeth. Eventually it healed and was able to eat again. The second time, nothing worked, and it died. Supposedly this was caused by eating too much krill. Not sure how true that was, but that was the wisdom at the time.

Yes lockjaw would be caused by foods containing too much thiaminese, and krill is the most frequent culprit. If he seems to try and eat but seems to be missing, this might be it. Eventually they would stop trying, but this would likely be obvious before they appear to uninterested.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine got to the point where he would get "angry" at the feeding cup. When you came by with the cup he would actually get upset and hide.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on the dogface's condition from OP?

That's my favorite fish, but they are definitely prone to eat something they can't digest and in severe cases, they will slowly starve to death.

I had a dogface eat the tips off a silicone rubber anemone. I didn't know any better at the time and didn't notice until he'd consumed almost all of them. Obviously he couldn't digest the silicone and looked fat and healthy. It wasn't until after he died and I found handfuls of silicone bits floating on the surface that I figured out what happened.
He has not got any better , I am going to try and pull him out of the tank this week and put him in a hospital tank .

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back