Please help, just found a bobbit worm!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding to what others have already said: If you got the actual hole located, I’d try bastering some 30% peroxide into the hole and either way epoxy over the opening

OP
OP
N

NISMO703

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see your video but here are a couple of articles about Bobbit worms and their relatives. Long story short, there are many Eunice worms and most are not a problem. I know yours might still creep you out but maybe it helps to read more about them and try and figure out which species you have?

The link above is to an aquacultured live rock organization in Florida.

Have you had any live rock shipped wet from the pacific (or I suppose maybe wild colonies of coral shipped from the pacific?)

You are spot on!! The guy I bought the acan from back in November had a huge wild piece of pacific liverock (about 3 feet wide, 1 foot tall) from Aquatic Technology. I did sleep on it and decided I am going to keep him in the system since he has been in there for so long and doesn’t appear to be causing any harm. No missing fish but I did see an empty snail shell by its burrow. Im going to spot feed him some mysis shrimp tonight and will try to take pics since my vids arent working for some reason. Thanks again!!

OP
OP
N

NISMO703

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding to what others have already said: If you got the actual hole located, I’d try bastering some 30% peroxide into the hole and either way epoxy over the opening

Thanks for the suggestion and call me crazy but I plan on keeping him in the system now. I will keep this in mind if the situation changes. I figures the worm has been in my system for awhile now and has done no harm. Live and let live, plus will be cool to spot feed him.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try to take pics since my vids arent working for some reason
Upload videos to YouTube then paste the link here. Works every time. I’d have to keep the beast as well. Might end up being in the sump but it’s still a cool creature.

Moscar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really? I just googled and read a thread that all bobbit worms were bad. Im not sure about fangs but it does have 5 prongs that go in and out as it extends from its burrow. What color are yours? If its reef safe, I guess I wouldn't be opposed to keeping it. Might even spot feed it lol.
Bobbit are a specific worm. I would look online and get a good view of the head. That's where the action is.

Mine are dull tan/ gray. Stay in the substrate except for the eating end.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back