Please help, just found a bobbit worm!

NISMO703

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a few frags over the weekend and was watching the tank to see how they were doing. In the corner of my eye, I noticed something crawling. I know the difference between a bristle worm and this is definitely a bobbit worm. It had 5 prongs coming out of its mouth and retracted as fast as a rubber band when I got too close. I want to dip the rock/acan its living in but the acan has encrusted all over the rock. I read the dip will be absorbed by the rock. What’s the best route to get rid of this worm?? Thanks!!

OP
OP
N

NISMO703

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0A519605-B1A9-4C25-8A2C-49E467CE9972.png

Tl02022020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you find the hole it's in and flush it out with something? Hope you get it out of there. Those things are scary looking!

OP
OP
N

NISMO703

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you find the hole it's in and flush it out with something? Hope you get it out of there. Those things are scary looking!

Yeah I located its burrow but its underneath the rock the acan is encrusted all over. I used to be scared of bristle worms and used to toss them every time I saw one. Ive learned to live with bristle worms and don't mind them as much anymore but this worm has to go. Creeps me out they way it comes out of its burrow with its prongs going in and out. Can I just dip the whole rock/acan in some RODI water?? My plan is to just scoop the whole rock/acan with a net.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you life the rock and just remove it? If not, can you life the rock out, get some tongs and yank it?

OP
OP
N

NISMO703

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you life the rock and just remove it? If not, can you life the rock out, get some tongs and yank it?

Yes I can lift the whole rock out but dont think I could yank it out without it breaking in two. If I rip off the head/mouth, would the remaining part regenerate? Is it safe to dip the whole rock/acans in RODI? Id rather not try with tweezers bc scared it might be torn into a few pieces.

Moscar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have the pincher/ fangs? If not, it may be an ok guy! I have several in my QT tank, they love to snag stray fish food and retract like lightening.

I would isolate the colony and take time to figure out what you have. It may be a really cool cuc member.

OP
OP
N

NISMO703

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have the pincher/ fangs? If not, it may be an ok guy! I have several in my QT tank, they love to snag stray fish food and retract like lightening.

I would isolate the colony and take time to figure out what you have. It may be a really cool cuc member.

Oh really? I just googled and read a thread that all bobbit worms were bad. Im not sure about fangs but it does have 5 prongs that go in and out as it extends from its burrow. What color are yours? If its reef safe, I guess I wouldn't be opposed to keeping it. Might even spot feed it lol.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really? I just googled and read a thread that all bobbit worms were bad. Im not sure about fangs but it does have 5 prongs that go in and out as it extends from its burrow. What color are yours? If its reef safe, I guess I wouldn't be opposed to keeping it. Might even spot feed it lol.

here’s a thread on my Eunice worm that I had for awhile:

He was so cool...... I loved watching him build things and snatch food from my tongs.

OP
OP
N

NISMO703

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here’s a thread on my Eunice worm that I had for awhile:

He was so cool...... I loved watching him build things and snatch food from my tongs.

Thanks for sharing, just read your whole thread on “The Creep” haha. That looks exactly like the one that I have. Crazy how fast the creep grabbed that fish you were spot feeding!!

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove the rock, maybe you can hold it over a bucket and pour carbonated water into the hole he is hiding in, this usually work for crabs and other pests. It could hurt the other lives in the rock but atleast for me it would be worth it just to get that thing out!
I have a big bristeworm in my tank and even though they are beneficial part of the cuc, it just creeps me out, especially when to get a certain size.

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see your video but here are a couple of articles about Bobbit worms and their relatives. Long story short, there are many Eunice worms and most are not a problem. I know yours might still creep you out but maybe it helps to read more about them and try and figure out which species you have?

The link above is to an aquacultured live rock organization in Florida.

Have you had any live rock shipped wet from the pacific (or I suppose maybe wild colonies of coral shipped from the pacific?)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back