Please help! Sick clownfish

MatteoDunno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a sick clownfish and don't know what to do. My tank has been up for about two months, by that I mean after cycling it has had my 2 clownfish for two months.

I noticed about 4 days ago one of my clownfish have stopped eating huge pigs before, he seemed a little more lethargic and there was a stringy poop coming out of him. I looked up everything I could and it didn't seem too concerning from what I read on the forums. My water parameters are good, and everything else in the tank was okay before I took off for the weekend.

I just got back and he was much more lethargic and I was able to catch with a net on the first try. I ran to petco and got a small hospital tank I could set up quickly. Am I over reacting?

I recently added my first soft corals in the tank and a couple of snails. About 1 week before that some cleaner shrimp and some snails. 2 weeks or so after I got the clownfish I got 3 bangaii cardinals, one died pretty quickly tested everything and it was still good. I chalked it up to stress, then the second a few days after stopped eating and was hiding I thought he was just being harassed by the other cardnal but never saw it and he died shortly after, I unfortunately couldn't catch him.

I know I'm a dummy for not having a quarantine set up. I've been in the hobby off and on for over 20 years (man things are awesome now) and I never had any trouble and got through a crazy ich outbreak without losing a fish... but I guess idiots that play with fire eventually get burnt.

Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• 20220501_194704.mp4
    28.6 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Video is only 4 seconds and does not detail anything. Please record at least 30 and if possible from the side
Is it breathing normal or rapidly?
Is it eating?

OP
OP
M

MatteoDunno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video is only 4 seconds and does not detail anything. Please record at least 30 and if possible from the side
Is it eating?
He's breathing rapidly, I unfortunately didn't video him before putting him in a bucket. He is still not eating and is been more than 4 days.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He's breathing rapidly, I unfortunately didn't video him before putting him in a bucket. He is still not eating and is been more than 4 days.
Add aeration and I would suggest a FW dip but with the rapid breathing can be fatal. Cant really see fish to offer other suggestions.
Is skin milky/hazy looking ?

OP
OP
M

MatteoDunno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get a longer one
Is it eating?
Here's a longer video

Attachments

• 20220501_200337.mp4
    93.9 MB
  • 20220501_200942.mp4
    90.9 MB
OP
OP
M

MatteoDunno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add aeration and I would suggest a FW dip but with the rapid breathing can be fatal. Cant really see fish to offer other suggestions.
Is skin milky/hazy looking ?

Just put him in the new tank with a big air stone. All his black looks pretty faded and blotchy now.

Attachments

• 20220501_203357.mp4
    26.9 MB
OP
OP
M

MatteoDunno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it eating?

Here's a side video/the best I could get.

Attachments

• 20220501_203700.mp4
    82.2 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here's a side video/the best I could get.
Thank you. Fish appears to have brooklynella which is a common clown disease. You can (with some risk) give the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip same temperature as display tank to offer relief. This is NOT a cure.
The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank as I mentioned previously. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

OP
OP
M

MatteoDunno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Fish appears to have brooklynella which is a common clown disease. You can (with some risk) give the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip same temperature as display tank to offer relief. This is NOT a cure.
The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank as I mentioned previously. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

Thank you so much!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back