Please Help!

domrahe7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am relatively new to the hobby and am still learning as I go. I currently have a ten gallon tall fish/crustacean only tank with One Ocellaris Clown, 6 blue legged hermits, and one emerald crab. The water parameters are all steady/stable and the tank is roughly two and a half months old. On Monday, I noticed a few small white spot on the left side of my clown and am having trouble identifying what exactly it is. There also looks to be a white spot outside the fishes left eye. The fish is eating fine and other wise acting quite normal. Just hangs out at the corner of the tank as he “hosts” the thermometer. The spots are also nowhere to be seen on his right side. Below I have some pictures. Thank you so much for the help! :)

AEAB51C6-E813-4161-80FC-48875BF2B07F.jpeg 229347CC-384E-4507-8B7B-A71312F66E67.jpeg 56BC2501-A5F1-4590-9975-7C2FA1A0E23D.jpeg 1DD0BE54-A786-44D3-85FC-387E87C27C78.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello. I am relatively new to the hobby and am still learning as I go. I currently have a ten gallon tall fish/crustacean only tank with One Ocellaris Clown, 6 blue legged hermits, and one emerald crab. The water parameters are all steady/stable and the tank is roughly two and a half months old. On Monday, I noticed a few small white spot on the left side of my clown and am having trouble identifying what exactly it is. There also looks to be a white spot outside the fishes left eye. The fish is eating fine and other wise acting quite normal. Just hangs out at the corner of the tank as he “hosts” the thermometer. The spots are also nowhere to be seen on his right side. Below I have some pictures. Thank you so much for the help! :)

AEAB51C6-E813-4161-80FC-48875BF2B07F.jpeg 229347CC-384E-4507-8B7B-A71312F66E67.jpeg 56BC2501-A5F1-4590-9975-7C2FA1A0E23D.jpeg 1DD0BE54-A786-44D3-85FC-387E87C27C78.jpeg
This fish has a common disease associatedwith wild caught clowns known as brooklynella
Any other f In tank with it?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you QT the fish - if so, which protocol did you use. Have you added anything else recently (I.e. invertebrates) - how long have you had the clown?

I agree with @vetteguy53081 that it looks somewhat like brooklynella - However, it also seems a bit like Ich, which causes white spots and can cause thick mucus. If it was brooklynella - something like Ruby reef rally Pro could be used in your display tank. This will not be very helpful if it is ich. Are the spots coming and going every couple days - or are they staying where they are from the start?

OP
OP
D

domrahe7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you QT the fish - if so, which protocol did you use. Have you added anything else recently (I.e. invertebrates) - how long have you had the clown?

I agree with @vetteguy53081 that it looks somewhat like brooklynella - However, it also seems a bit like Ich, which causes white spots and can cause thick mucus. If it was brooklynella - something like Ruby reef rally Pro could be used in your display tank. This will not be very helpful if it is ich. Are the spots coming and going every couple days - or are they staying where they are from the start?
Nothing has been added since September, and at that time the fish had no signs of whatever this is. They have came and gone over the past month or so, but this week in particular they have been visible. Like I said though, the fish is acting normally. Eating well, not scratching on anything, etc. My gut is leaning towards Brook but I’m still not sure

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing has been added since September, and at that time the fish had no signs of whatever this is. They have came and gone over the past month or so, but this week in particular they have been visible. Like I said though, the fish is acting normally. Eating well, not scratching on anything, etc. My gut is leaning towards Brook but I’m still not sure
I don't think Brooklynella 'spots' would come and go in this way. Could it be injury from the other inverts? Lets see what @Jay Hemdal thinks

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I just got home and am at a larger screen opposed to phone. I see secondary bacterial lesions often confused with ich. Whay makes it hard is the water and spots on the glass to fully confirm.

OP
OP
D

domrahe7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home and am at a larger screen opposed to phone. I see secondary bacterial lesions often confused with ich. Whay makes it hard is the water and spots on the glass to fully confirm.
Sorry about that. Tank is still in the ugly phase and some areas of the glass are hard to reach. What would be the best course of action if this is baterial?

OP
OP
D

domrahe7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think Brooklynella 'spots' would come and go in this way. Could it be injury from the other inverts? Lets see what @Jay Hemdal thinks
I don’t personally think it’s injury, at least not from inverts. I have never once seen them interact and I observe the tank frequently

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry about that. Tank is still in the ugly phase and some areas of the glass are hard to reach. What would be the best course of action if this is baterial?
Ruby rally pro in-tank or Kanaplex in a separate treatment tank

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like batcerial or fungal infection. you can get them in antibiotics and try ruby rally. It should clear it up

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My issue is that the spots are coming and going. This should not happen - with all respect to @Dr. Reef - unless there are repeated illness

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looks like batcerial or fungal infection. you can get them in antibiotics and try ruby rally. It should clear it up
Curious - why a bacterial infection. what would cause it at this time period. on those locations - which are varying?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMHO - ich -Because bacterial infections attack the nearby tissue - they do not come and go. @Dr. Reef why do you differ in opinion - despite no information to the contrary

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My observation regarding the pics, spots look too big and irregular for ich and they look flakey, also tail and fins are very much clear, I dont see any spots on the them which is where mostly ich would be spotted. Bacterial infections or fungal can come and go just like humans. Your body may produce enough antibodies against the bacteria and then stop producing once it thinks its got it covered but some infections come back.
It can also be a mild case of brook which may be coming and going, ruby rally will take care of all that except ich.

Last edited:

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying there cant be any ich, but from pics presented i dont see ich.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not saying there cant be any ich, but from pics presented i dont see ich.
the history, though says they come and go. Do you think there could be injuries - from crabs, etc - that cause temporary spots? IMHO repeated bacterial infection - from nips from a tank inhabitant - unless there is sepsis - should not come and go. ?

Last edited:

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the history, though says they come and go. Do you think there could be injuries - from crabs, etc - that cause temporary spots?
possible but i am leaning more towards mild case of brook. Fish might be healthy enough to fight it off and then get infected again. Ich would have covered the fish in white spots like a salt sprinkle by now if things have been going on like this for months. again just my opinion based on the pics and slight knowledge of history.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
possible but i am leaning more towards mild case of brook. Fish might be healthy enough to fight it off and then get infected again. Ich would have covered the fish in white spots like a salt sprinkle by now if things have been going on like this for months. again just my opinion based on the pics and slight knowledge of history.
Just curious - because many people report - they have ich - that produces spots - then goes away. I'm not sure - in this case - that this makes sense to be brook? Not disagreeing with you - just curious - have you seen this after 2.5 months - with one fish in a tank ?

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rare but happens.
Again not saying ich can't be the issue here. Because you are very right about spots going and coming back sounds like ich but current spots to me don't look like ich.
Also ich comes with some symptoms like twitching scratching heavy breathing shyness lack of appetite and swimming in front of power heads etc and none of them OP reported. Rather he said it's not scratching, eating well and been doing so for 3 months now.
Unless it's a very healthy clown ich would have taken it out by now. Just my opinion.
Bacterial infections can come and go as well and sometimes they are misunderstood as ich

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rare but happens.
Again not saying ich can't be the issue here. Because you are very right about spots going and coming back sounds like ich but current spots to me don't look like ich.
Also ich comes with some symptoms like twitching scratching heavy breathing shyness lack of appetite and swimming in front of power heads etc and none of them OP reported. Rather he said it's not scratching, eating well and been doing so for 3 months now.
Unless it's a very healthy clown ich would have taken it out by now. Just my opinion.
Bacterial infections can come and go as well and sometimes they are misunderstood as ich
Agree - however the 'hosting the thermometer' - is odd for a clown (*unless being bullied into that corner). Weill just have to see. I'm not sure what bacteria it would be - without an underlying injury. If the fish was septic - with random lesions appearing - IMHO - that would not last long. Sorry to the OP - for a debate - however - this is not a clear issue

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back