Please ID this SOB!

jessezm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haaaalp! I recently had a very large acro colony stop showing its polyps and eventually started to STN on the underside and in the middle some. I assumed it was a flow issue or starvation, so I moved it to better flow and turned off the biodenitrator (nitrates were always undetectable but now I've got them up to about .5ppm) and upped my feeding and dosing of Reef Energy A and B.

Losses spread to a few other colonies and I started to freak out. I inspected as carefully as I could for AEFW and never could spot any. but I am afraid I either have that or the dreaded "Black Bugs" whatever they are... So far have not successfully found what I thought were the telltale egg clusters but I have also noticed on some of the dead skeleton this tiny, 1mm worm looking creatures that move kind of like leaches. Too small for a photo unfortunately... There are a few on the underside of my red dragon frag plugs and that is one of the corals affected. But I did finally get a picture of something that look pretty darned suspicious...

Can anyone give me a positive ID on this (close up is for ID, the other photo is for size reference). I am eagerly awaiting (dreading) your responses!
IMG_2914.JPG

IMG_2929.PNG

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Acro Red Bugs this me.

OP
OP
jessezm

jessezm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. I definitely do not see them on any corals though, and you usually see them on living tissue, not dead tissue from what I recall. The dots on the underside of that coral are mostly bits of flesh from the dying coral or algae of some kind I think. The only bug I could really id as a critter was the one I zoomed in on.

I would think red bugs would be more obvious, no?

OP
OP
jessezm

jessezm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a dip in Bayer tonight on several frags and found nothing that looked like an AEFW. That critter may just be around snacking on the decay, maybe? I did not see more than one or two and I'm looking really closely! Can't find any AEFW egg clusters and none on live flesh that I can find...

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back