PLEASE replace the app

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

nonagon13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The app needs a complete redo. The app is embarrassingly bad. It works only 50% of the time, and when it does work, it's extremely clunky. It is not user friendly. It is not efficient. It is not effective. It is not reliable. It is not functional. It is not professional.

The app neuters an otherwise excellent (and expensive) light. The app makes me regret my purchase. I have had the light over one year now and the app has not been developed AT ALL in this time.

Please @Orphek tell us that there is some development in store for the app.

blackgate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still can't get my android app to work on my S10. I have to get my daughters iPhone to connect to the gateway! Very disappointed in the app, but the atlantik is pretty sick and the coverage is awesome

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The app needs a complete redo. The app is embarrassingly bad. It works only 50% of the time, and when it does work, it's extremely clunky. It is not user friendly. It is not efficient. It is not effective. It is not reliable. It is not functional. It is not professional.

The app neuters an otherwise excellent (and expensive) light. The app makes me regret my purchase. I have had the light over one year now and the app has not been developed AT ALL in this time.

Are you sure you’re talking about @Orphek app and not ecotech Mobius? Just checking...

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve complained about this before too. There are quite a few issues and I’d be happy with just an update to be honest. But Orphek swears that the app is fully functional and user friendly so I doubt we’ll see any update at all. They probably update their lights before the app.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The App really is garbage for this day and age. I fought with it at least a dozen times a year in the 3 years I owned them. No automatic daylight savings changes or the lights randomly resetting to a different schedule It just got old and irritating. I’m an IOS/Apple guy but did try an old Galaxy S8 that I had used only for photo’s and that was even worse. There’s plenty of room in those fixtures for onboard Wifi/Bluetooth so the fact they even have an external gateway is just puzzling.

mindwalkr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a 3rd party re-write the app, what features would you like to see in it? Other than 'it just works' :)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's pretty much all anyone wants. It seems that lighting companies really have dropped the ball on developing apps. I was looking at a few orpheks for my tank but read all the app issues and having to purchase an extra gateway to even run them was enough to prevent me from spending thousands.

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
I completely agree. I bit the bullet on the 11/11 sale, I got 2x Atlantik Compacts V4 Gen 2's with 2x OR3 48" blue strips.. I will say once I got the app version 26.0 everything works flawlessly and the built in programs are nice. I had to turn them down a bit since i am almost certain i will fry almost everything in my tank coming from T5's.

The gateway should be built into every Atlantik and have a toggle switch to be master or bypass.

My corals and I are very happy with the performance so far.

mindwalkr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the app won't run properly AT ALL on my Pixel 5. Just a blank white screen.

I am thinking about hacking up something that will work as a replacement App. However, it will be hundreds of hours invested to do this and I am not sure what Orphek would think if I release an app that actually works?

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
Well, the app won't run properly AT ALL on my Pixel 5. Just a blank white screen.

I am thinking about hacking up something that will work as a replacement App. However, it will be hundreds of hours invested to do this and I am not sure what Orphek would think if I release an app that actually works?
I am using a Pixel 5 and it works great. What app version you on?

mindwalkr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a Pixel 5 and it works great. What app version you on?
I pull the latest from their website: 26.0 [ZB]

After I wiped all app data, it decided to run. First thing it does is ask for permissions to make phone calls. *sigh* ... no wonder it is not available on the Google Play App Store :(

Last edited:

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I would love to see an app update/makeover as well. It seems to fall on deaf ears unfortunately and I have friends who want this light but bought other brands because of the issues they read online about the apps.
one thing I would love to see is a better acclimation mode. Say you set it for their 14k program, you set the program time for 10 weeks or whatever and over the time span it gradually increases the output...similar to what kessil(I believe) has. Sound simple enough to me...

corey

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
Yeah. I would love to see an app update/makeover as well. It seems to fall on deaf ears unfortunately and I have friends who want this light but bought other brands because of the issues they read online about the apps.
one thing I would love to see is a better acclimation mode. Say you set it for their 14k program, you set the program time for 10 weeks or whatever and over the time span it gradually increases the output...similar to what kessil(I believe) has. Sound simple enough to me...

corey
That would be really cool. I started with the Slow Acclimation profile and modified it. Turned down the whites and blues by 10% and prolonged the UV +10% till midnight.

mindwalkr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current app basically just sets the properties for the light. Once and done. Even the number of times you can change the channels per day is hardcoded.

This implies very limited functionality. I am not sure an acclimation mode is possible with the current hardware.

I wish they would just release specs for developers (maybe with a NDA?).

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has there been any resolution to this? I hadn't messed with my lights in a long time and updated my phone from a Samsung s9 to a s20fe in the meantime and can't connect. I don't have old phone any longer. Does it really not function on Samsung s10s and higher?

Memisis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a 3rd party re-write the app, what features would you like to see in it? Other than 'it just works' :)
Start with just a rewrite. Otherwise you miss your opportunity to deliver a viable MVP and get bogged down with new features and extend your development timelines.

Great question but sometime "just working" as is, is a really great direction to go in.

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it working again on my s20fe. I added to reconnect it to a network cable and then I was able to reconnect to my wifi. Not sure why as none of my networks have changed. Looks like all my old presets that I had are gone now, but at least I can talk to the lights now.

Back