Please tell me i didn't kill everyone..

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an ammonia spike today (1.5) from 0 in 24 hours. This has never happened before . I think I used too much special blend or something. My tank has been cycled for 2 months now.
Nitrite-.50
Nitrate- 5.0
Calcium=440
Phos- .10
dKh- 9
The LFS said get amguard and clarify and use them at the same time. My water hasbeen cloudy fof 2 days now.
Now my coral all went limp (see pix) after i put in the clarify. Used the reccomended amount for a 25g tank
Please advise. All help appreciated.

20201116_203943_HDR.jpg 20201116_203451.jpg 20201116_203435.jpg 20201116_203427.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok but ammonia spiked today? how are fish?carbon is 1 month old?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
water change ,fresh carbon ,asap

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't do more then 5 gal as of now. And have aquachar carbon. Arr the coral ok though? Did i do too much too fast withboth amguard and clarify?
i'm sorry i cannot answer that ??do not use either ,hope someone here can answer,i just see the need to get ammo down asap

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your inverts will be more tolerant to “some” low levels of ammonia but fish, not so much.
Locking up any ammonia was the correct thing to do, but, not sure why we want to use clarifier, clean carbon should do that.

If your fish looked stressed out or rapid breathing, change more water, otherwise you should be fine.

1.5 ammonia for inverts should not be any issue.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experienced same thing when I upgraded my system to double its size when it was only a cpl months fresh from cycle.
Did you add beneficial bacteria during big water changes?
It kinda sounds like you momentarily upset and reset your system being only 2 months cycled.

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experienced same thing when I upgraded my system to double its size when it was only a cpl months fresh from cycle.
Did you add beneficial bacteria during big water changes?
It kinda sounds like you momentarily upset and reset your system being only 2 months cycled.
I did a big water change on fri. Added about 60 mL of specia blend bacteria on sunday night after spot fed all the coral ref roids.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did a big water change on fri. Added about 60 mL of specia blend bacteria on sunday night after spot fed all the coral ref roids.
overfed tank too much too quick

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Forget carbon - Get some chemipure Elite.

As for products. . .. clarity may make tank cloudy for a day or two BUT . . . . In order for Clarity to work effectively, you should have a filter with mechanical filtration using a filter sock or filter floss connected to your aquarium to entrap particles which it clumps. If not, you literally raise toxicity.
With the Amguard, It is an ammonia controller and not detoxifier and if you had free form ammonia, it likely made the tank toxic to fish and coral. These liquids are good in an emergency only and not as a treatment. Seachem prime would have been safer.
If you dosed Amguard at more than one capful per 50 gallons, the tank likely experienced toxicity. AmGuard does not remove ammonia from the system. It simply binds ammonia and may lower oxygen levels in the process.
Were you able to test after adding these two to see what your readings were ?
What test kit(s) are you using?

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget carbon - Get some chemipure Elite.

As for products. . .. clarity may make tank cloudy for a day or two BUT . . . . In order for Clarity to work effectively, you should have a filter with mechanical filtration using a filter sock or filter floss connected to your aquarium to entrap particles which it clumps. If not, you literally raise toxicity.
With the Amguard, It is an ammonia controller and not detoxifier and if you had free form ammonia, it likely made the tank toxic to fish and coral. These liquids are good in an emergency only and not as a treatment. Seachem prime would have been safer.
If you dosed Amguard at more than one capful per 50 gallons, the tank likely experienced toxicity. AmGuard does not remove ammonia from the system. It simply binds ammonia and may lower oxygen levels in the process.
Were you able to test after adding these two to see what your readings were ?
What test kit(s) are you using?
I use api tests for now. I only put in enough amguard that thd instructions reccomended. I measured out 5 mL in a syringe and added it to thw punp chamber. Same with the clarifier right after. Filtration is fimter floss both sides, then carbon both sides, gfo one side, xuge with chaeto, fritz max out pro media bag, and purigen in #2 chamber.

Back