Plexiglass tank construction

RoudyRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use or build plexiglass tanks these days? I have a large one and have many questions for others that have them. Maybe we could both learn new ways to handle their problems :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a glass tank but I have built both glass and small plexiglass tanks and I trust the bond between plexiglass more than silicon sealed glass.

I use plastic scrapers and credit cards and generic Mr. Clean melamine sponge to clean the walls and avoid most scratch issues that are common with soft plexiglass tanks. I have never drilled a glass tank but I have drilled a few holes in plexiglass tanks without issues.

If the walls are too thin they can bow out a lot and there isn’t any solution for that issue.

What issues are you facing with your tank?

If it has scratches wet sanding being careful to go slowly and keeping the wall wet while you work can remove the look of the scratch but if you go too fast you can start crazing that will ruin the finish and it will spread tiny cracks over the wall with time.

Upvote 0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use or build plexiglass tanks these days? I have a large one and have many questions for others that have them. Maybe we could both learn new ways to handle their problems :)
What’s up? Been building them for years lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RoudyRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a tank it has been fine, the pglass is 3/4 inch thick and no bowing. My biggest problem is cleaning both inside and outside with water inside. I use the super size Mag-float, the only one I could find that would handle the 3/4 inch pglass. I constantly get these fine scratches both inside and out. I go slow and use a microfiber cloth on the outside under the magnet for extra protection. Every so often something gets stirred up and makes a small line in the pglass. Hard to see at first but the light brings it out when I stand back. I can't see tearing the tank down every year to polish everything inside and out. Am I missing something or is the price you pay for the light weight pglass??

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RoudyRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a glass tank but I have built both glass and small plexiglass tanks and I trust the bond between plexiglass more than silicon sealed glass.

I use plastic scrapers and credit cards and generic Mr. Clean melamine sponge to clean the walls and avoid most scratch issues that are common with soft plexiglass tanks. I have never drilled a glass tank but I have drilled a few holes in plexiglass tanks without issues.

If the walls are too thin they can bow out a lot and there isn’t any solution for that issue.

What issues are you facing with your tank?

If it has scratches wet sanding being careful to go slowly and keeping the wall wet while you work can remove the look of the scratch but if you go too fast you can start crazing that will ruin the finish and it will spread tiny cracks over the wall with time.
When I built my glass tanks I always used a hardwood frame work on bottom and sides leaving a small 1 inch frame around the front for the glass to press against with the silicone, never had a leak that way. I had one all glass tank of 125 gal but it weighed a ton! but never leaked :)

Upvote 0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a tank it has been fine, the pglass is 3/4 inch thick and no bowing. My biggest problem is cleaning both inside and outside with water inside. I use the super size Mag-float, the only one I could find that would handle the 3/4 inch pglass. I constantly get these fine scratches both inside and out. I go slow and use a microfiber cloth on the outside under the magnet for extra protection. Every so often something gets stirred up and makes a small line in the pglass. Hard to see at first but the light brings it out when I stand back. I can't see tearing the tank down every year to polish everything inside and out. Am I missing something or is the price you pay for the light weight pglass??
This would be your best friend! Use the fine paper to sand any scratches out even inside the tank with water! No polishing needed..
IMG_2226.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RoudyRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be your best friend! Use the fine paper to sand any scratches out even inside the tank with water! No polishing needed..
IMG_2226.png
Sounds like this might work well on the outside. Have you ever used it on the inside underwater? I have sent a note to the manufacture asking for their thoughts on underwater use :)

Upvote 0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like this might work well on the outside. Have you ever used it on the inside underwater? I have sent a note to the manufacture asking for their thoughts on underwater use :)
Perfectly safe to use under water as there is no chemicals involved it’s super fine sand paper that’s reusable over and over! I’ve been using it for years! It’s like a magic eraser lol.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back