Plumbing Advice - 180G Setup

Marinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick question for anyone reading - I just installed a newly 180 Aqueon Aquarium ( 2 Drilled Tank/w Mega flow kits) and I was able to Tee one Overflow into the next, but there is too much pressure coming into my refugium and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to make the water a bit more settled? I even tried also adding another Tee to relieve some of the pressure and adding a ball valve at the end to control the water flow, but I still have some much pressure forcing its way down. Help? Any suggestions? My sump is a 40 Breeder. I also have a INS 180 Protein Skimmer made by Reef Dynamics and wanted to set it up with the plumbing - Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Sump_setup.jpg
    Sump_setup.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Slate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you have too much pressure might I ask what is happening to make you feel this way? Is it causing a noise issue or too much flow through the sump?

Also I would never try to dial down how fast the water is moving by slowing drain lines. You are asking for your DT to overflow. You should be reducing the amount of water returning to the display tank from the sump which in turn slows the flow through the sump. I am also someone who advocates keeping drain lines separate from each other when you have two overflows rather than teeing them together. This way if one gets clogged for some reason the other will still drain.

OP
OP
M

Marinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slate,

There is too much flow of water coming down - As far as teeing them together, you bring up a good point, what do you think I should do? Do two separate overflows? I will look into the return pump and see if I can slow it down - If anything I can always put a ball valve on the return...

Slate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowing down the rate of flow to the display would be the best option. If you have to dial back the flow too much using a ball valve you may want to consider getting a smaller pump all together if that is an option financially. Might I ask how much flow your return pump is? As far as the current state of the drains it is up to you if you want to separate them.

Glenn

Reefer and Model Railroad
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should be an interesting thread for me since my next build will be a 180 with dual (corner) overflows and a 40 breeder that I will setup with multiple chambers. After reading the initial posts, I will NOT be teeing the two overflows together ( I was going to - thanks Slate) but I will have a ball valve on one of the overflow lines.
- First, the sump: chamber 1 will be the refugium, chamber 2 for the skimmer, and chamber 3 for the return pump
- One overflow will go straight to chamber 2.
- One overflow will have a T with one section going to the fuge (with a ball valve) and one going to chamber 2

The return pump will also have a ball valve on the output line to control the overall water flow.

Slate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quiet one 4000 - Its does about 1664GPH.

Now this is a topic of a lot of differing opinions. However, I prefer to keep return pumps that go through sumps down to about 5 times the display volume per hour. Some folks like 10x and other like even more. It is all about preference of flow in relation to skimming and other things. For example I have a 125gallon tank and my return is probably only 500gph after considering in head from the plumbing. So like I said depending on how much you have to cut down the flow using a ball valve to get it where you like it you may want to consider a small pump after it is all said and done. Or perhaps is will work out just how you like it with cutting it down a little bit.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally on my 180 i have a reeflo snapper pump. i didnt tee the overfows together. i also run a pellet reactor and a carbon reactor off the main pump. while i did have to back the tank flow down to get enough for my pellets i think i could run a dart on my setup. i also run a filter sock for bubbles. i also have a 40 breeder for a sump.

i would say that your issue is more than likely due to the tee and the left pipe running straight down

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what would you do Nixer? Just run two separate overflows?
i would. is the issue bubbles/salt spray?
im still not happy with my setup either, but with the sock i dont have either the bubble or spray issue.
one of these days someone will post up a pic of a really truely 100% bubble/spray free setup without the use of filter socks

OP
OP
M

Marinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would. is the issue bubbles/salt spray?
im still not happy with my setup either, but with the sock i dont have either the bubble or spray issue.
one of these days someone will post up a pic of a really truely 100% bubble/spray free setup without the use of filter socks

Yes, my sump only has one bubble trap and I just tested the Ball valve attached to my return (WORKS GREAT) very minimal bubbles and my refugium sand is not all over the place! I need to figure out how to connect my skimmer to my plumbing now!?! I love working hard and then seeing the end product... Its beauty! Cheers!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back