Plumbing for New Setup, 210 Gallon Dual Mega-flow

Squishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am somewhat new to the forums and to the saltwater hobby. It may be a bit if a task to start with a 200 gallon, but I am very eager to do so.

I have done a ton of reading on here, and right now I planning the plumbing so I can start getting the materials.
To explained the drawing a little more, there is only one return line, that is the one that goes over the back, then the 2 3/4" are full siphons, probably changing to a screened inlet instead of the durso style top. The 2 1" are the emergency overflows.
The one question, is how all the drains are sloped, do you think with the 4 drains I can have them straight?

I would love insight on my concept drawing, and any plumbing suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Aqueon 210 Gallon dual megaflow.jpg

Last edited:

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does every return line has a dedicated pump? I would also put the check valves closer to the pump outlet. Reduce flow loss.

OP
OP
Squishy

Squishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I probably should have explained a little more, there is only one return line, that is the one that goes over the back, then the 2 3/4" are full siphons, probably changing to a screened inlet instead of the durso style top. The 2 1" are the emergency overflows. The idea of moving the ball valve closer is good, and you cant see it, but I did put one just up from the pump as well, so the one by the tank is probably redudant.
Thanks for the input.

krbnsol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't hurt to have gravity helping the water along back to the sump.

I think I would lean toward having them sloped from the tank to the sump (the more the better) .

I am sure others may have more to say with this type of plumbing run.

OP
OP
Squishy

Squishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't hurt to have gravity helping the water along back to the sump.

I think I would lean toward having them sloped from the tank to the sump (the more the better) .

I am sure others may have more to say with this type of plumbing run.
Thanks, I was thinking that. but in a way I was hoping I could straighten them out :) Any other comment would be appreciated.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, that's pretty impressive work.
I'd recommend adding valves to each line (return and drain) in order to control flow or if you ever need to shut down a pipe. BRS has valves that also act as union. Don't use the home depot brand (very hard to turn handle), spend the extra $ and get the good ones such as from BRS, as these are easier to use.

Also, adding a union close to the return pump will make life easier when trying to remove pump for cleaning.

krbnsol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unions are not cheap ------ but makes life so much easier should you need to move thing around or change something out.

OP
OP
Squishy

Squishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, that's pretty impressive work.
I'd recommend adding valves to each line (return and drain) in order to control flow or if you ever need to shut down a pipe. BRS has valves that also act as union. Don't use the home depot brand (very hard to turn handle), spend the extra $ and get the good ones such as from BRS, as these are easier to use.

Also, adding a union close to the return pump will make life easier when trying to remove pump for cleaning.
I have a industrial plumber friend, that is where I will be getting most of the supplies, nothing from home hardware :), I will definitely add a union on the return, but all of the lines have the union type valve, which I thought may be handy.
I need to take a better angle of the drawing as you don't see everything from this one I think. Thank you for the input

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, adding a manifold (like pix below) on the return line would be helpful in case you ever decide to add reactors etc. This way the return pump can be used to run other equipment, I use manifold to run skimmer and GFO reactor.
1576619073669.png

OP
OP
Squishy

Squishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, adding a manifold (like pix below) on the return line would be helpful in case you ever decide to add reactors etc. This way the return pump can be used to run other equipment, I use manifold to run skimmer and GFO reactor.
1576619073669.png
Good point, thanks! What are the connectors on the manifold?

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one question, is how all the drains are sloped, do you think with the 4 drains I can have them straight?

If you mean straight horizontally - nope. It'll seem like it's OK and kinda work for a while. But air will get trapped and eventually give you fits.

Straight vertically - yep. You want all drains to be as close to vertical as absolutely possible. Also try to keep the pipes as close to the same length as possible and have them under water level in the sump the same - usually only an inch or 2 under the surface of the water in the sump when everything is running normally.

I also do everything possible to stay away from things like anti siphon valves.

Size everything to work with as few things to go wrong as possible. If you depend on anti-siphon valves to prevent a flood or maintain a level in your display - you will end up with a flood eventually.

Remember - everything fails at some point in time - my thoughts always go to "what happens if THIS piece fails?"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Squishy

Squishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I have have an issue with is going through that wall, it is brick and cinder block, I can get a drill to go through, but I may have to make one bigger hole and add support or a few smaller holes.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I have have an issue with is going through that wall, it is brick and cinder block, I can get a drill to go through, but I may have to make one bigger hole and add support or a few smaller holes.
Cinder block & bricks would be tough... if possible, would you reconsider going thru the floor (as long as it's hardwood/wood) since your drawing appears the filters are located in a lower level than the tank.

OP
OP
Squishy

Squishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a industrial plumber friend, that is where I will be getting most of the supplies, nothing from home hardware :), I will definitely add a union on the return, but all of the lines have the union type valve, which I thought may be handy.
I need to take a better angle of the drawing as you don't see everything from this one I think. Thank you for the input
I will have to update the drawing I think, there is a concrete floor under the tank actually, and no access to the room that i am putting the sumps and such in. I think I may have figured out though if i go through the brick horizontally I might be able to squeeze them all through one brick. The cinder block, I will have to drill or chisel out, i think. Going to be tough but I want this done right :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back