Plumbing problem/questions

guitarvp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been slowly piecing together my plumbing and I've kind of hit a roadblock when it comes to my return line. Space under my stand is relatively limited due to the size of the sump. My intent is to have a three valve manifold for reactors and then up to the tank. After playing around with vinyl hose and going back to PVC, I was finally able to come up with a tentative mock-up. My concern, and I may be way off base, is the fact that I am using (3) 90 elbows and (2) 45s just to get from the return pump through the manifold and to the bottom of the tank.

I will be running a Vectra L1 for my return pump.

Am I concerned over nothing with regards to the number of elbows?

Aside from scrapping the manifold and making the return a straight shot, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

f74bb8aa4f71bfeb0152205619c10dda.jpg

30b2e93ceea02eeb99ec8894ef5b43ff.jpg

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank? I wouldn't be too worried especially with the adjustable pump. The good thing is your aren't limited to a set gph. I think it looks good. Nice clean job!

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the calculators on all the reef forums, add up all the headloss due to the fittings then see if the resulting GPH still fits in with your goal. Looks to me like you have plenty of pump.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to agree its clean and neat and with a vectra 1 pump you should have plenty of flow with that pump. You are not going to lose much flow with that. If you are that concerned just go with bigger plumbing to reduce friction.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only other suggestion I have is you might want to add a union up where the return goes to the tank. I see you have one at the pump which is good for pump maintenance but in case you even had to remove the manifold system (for reasons unknown) you could but then again you could always just cut the pipe and add one later if needed

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we are talking plumbing, make sure you support all the plumbing so the weight is not hanging on the bulkheads and causing stresses and leaks. I am also a huge fan of threaded fittings and plenty of unions or true union valves so things can be disassembled for cleaning or modifications without cutting things apart.

OP
OP
guitarvp

guitarvp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great points and advice. Yet another trip Home Depot awaits me. Glad the wife is moderately tolerant of the obsession.

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dead on with @AZDesertRat. I'm big into threaded fittings and adapters as well as unions (txt). Never had a leak as long as you use Teflon tape and don't over tighten unless you absolutely have to.

From my experience, if your tank is a single drain it's not a big issue but with the Herbie and Bean Animal drain set up you need constant flow going to it or you'll have to adjust the gate valves.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC manufacturers discourage the use of teflon tape with threaded PVC fittings. In my Bulkhead Tips sticky post found here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/installing-bulkhead-tips.34973/ I discuss this and have links to products specifically developed for use with PVC. I have used the LaCo PVC lubricant sticks since the early 1980's with great success. The plumbers used it on the threaded PVC for the pumps on my in ground swimming pool in 1983 and believe it or not it is still pliable to this day and never a drip.

OP
OP
guitarvp

guitarvp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC manufacturers discourage the use of teflon tape with threaded PVC fittings. In my Bulkhead Tips sticky post found here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/installing-bulkhead-tips.34973/ I discuss this and have links to products specifically developed for use with PVC. I have used the LaCo PVC lubricant sticks since the early 1980's with great success. The plumbers used it on the threaded PVC for the pumps on my in ground swimming pool in 1983 and believe it or not it is still pliable to this day and never a drip.

Great info to know AZDesertRat. I haven't glued anything yet so I'll be sure to grab some of those lubricant sticks on my next trip to HD. Thanks again for all the knowledge.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Great info to know AZDesertRat. I haven't glued anything yet so I'll be sure to grab some of those lubricant sticks on my next trip to HD. Thanks again for all the knowledge.
Not going to find those at HD.
Best bet is Amazon

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ace Hardware sometimes has their private label version in the store too.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back